New Brake Pads

HaulinBuggy

Established Member
I apologize for beating this dead horse...but I've been sifting through the search results for about an hour now.

I'm planning on replacing the stock pads (all 4) and upgrading the brake lines while I'm at it. I'm really getting tired of the crappy squealing OEM pads. What I am looking for is a replacement pad, slightly better than OEM replacements, that does not squeal. I understand a certain amount of brake squeal is normal and I'm not talking about the every-now-and-then noise.

Any feedback on pads you use would be helpful.

Not an Auto-X'er so not looking for anything that intensive.

Brake dust is not a worry either.

TIA,
HB

ModsAway

Established Member
I-CAN-STANG said:
Raybestos Quiet Stop ceramics here.

I had those as well and they squealed like a pig in heat. At the end of the day I think you simply have to accept it with these cars. I went slotted rotors and racing pads. If they are going to squeal at least they are going to be the best at stopping.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
ModsAway said:
I had those as well and they squealed like a pig in heat. At the end of the day I think you simply have to accept it with these cars. I went slotted rotors and racing pads. If they are going to squeal at least they are going to be the best at stopping.
No squealing here. You may have had another Raybestos set? :shrug: A fellow MACA member just picked some up and he loves em' as well. No squealing, no brake dust. :pepper:

HaulinBuggy

Established Member
Anyone have any noise issues with either the Hawks or EBCs?

Thanks for the Raybestos suggestion.

HaulinBuggy

Established Member
I-CAN-STANG,
Did you go with the ceramics all around, or did you use another compound for the front?
All of the noise seems to be coming from the semi-metallic pads in the front.

Also, can't seem to find a part number for front quiet stop pads...and the monkeys at the parts store are no help.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
HaulinBuggy said:
I-CAN-STANG,
Did you go with the ceramics all around, or did you use another compound for the front?
All of the noise seems to be coming from the semi-metallic pads in the front.

Also, can't seem to find a part number for front quiet stop pads...and the monkeys at the parts store are no help.
go with all QS (quiet stops) from rockauto.com

I did ceramics in the front and rear. :pepper:

Hye

Established Member
I have Ferodos on the front, extremely happy with them. silent brakes

mosconiac

Established Member
When I was looking into pads, I looked at Hawk, SBS, Porterfield, and EBC. SBS and Hawk were said to squeal, so they were out. EBC was said to dust badly, so they were out. I saw no negative comments about Porterfields, so I tried them. I'm glad I did. No noise and dusting is better than stock in the rear and marginally more in front. Overall, I like them and will buy them next time around. When hot, they stop HARD!

GordsFord

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
My stock pads did not squeak at all. After changing to Hawk HP street pads they did not squeak, braking was about 10% better and they lived for 7 or 8 track days instead of 1. I now run Hawk HP Plus. The stopping performance is about 10% better again than the HP Street but there was a bit of sqeaking from the fronts. After changing it H Plus on the rears they squeal like a stuck pig and the car sounds like a dunp truck stopping! However they stop much beter. Next time I think I may try Porterfields.

Gord
GordsFord

HaulinBuggy

Established Member
Just ordered the quiet stop pads from rockauto.com, thanks for pointing in the right direction I-CAN-STANG. :coolman:

Skunk,
fronts - PGD412QS - $91.97
rear - PGD627QS - $41.27

Quite a bit cheaper than anywhere else that I could find. :thumbsup:

We'll see how they work.

rACeRs

Established Member
I-CAN-STANG said:
go with all QS (quiet stops) from rockauto.com

I did ceramics in the front and rear. :pepper:

do they stop as good as the stockers? just wondering how they feel. My brakes make noise while just driving down the road, but make no noise when on the brakes :shrug:

ModsAway

Established Member
rACeRs said:
do they stop as good as the stockers? just wondering how they feel. My brakes make noise while just driving down the road, but make no noise when on the brakes :shrug:

How long have you had the current pads on for? If your pads have wear indicators on them what you describe could very well be your pads need replacing. Noise while driving, none with brake applied.

Brake squeal is the opposite, quiet operation until brake is applied and then screech.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
HaulinBuggy said:
Just ordered the quiet stop pads from rockauto.com, thanks for pointing in the right direction I-CAN-STANG. :coolman:

Skunk,
fronts - PGD412QS - $91.97
rear - PGD627QS - $41.27

Quite a bit cheaper than anywhere else that I could find. :thumbsup:

We'll see how they work.

They work fine man! I get no squeal or dust with the ceramics all the way around. The stopping power is just as stocks when they heat up. All ceramic pads must heat up for optimal performance. They're the best though. I'll probably never use another pad. Hawks are good but they squeal like a pig unless you go with their ceramics. The hawks ceramics cost a lot more than the raybestos though.

rACeRs

Established Member
ModsAway said:
How long have you had the current pads on for? If your pads have wear indicators on them what you describe could very well be your pads need replacing. Noise while driving, none with brake applied.

Brake squeal is the opposite, quiet operation until brake is applied and then screech.

I wish that was the case. I only have 2500 miles on the car. I have removed the stock pads and brake cleaned both the pads and the rotors. And then I even greased the back of the pads before putting them back in. That kept them quiet for about 100 miles, then the noise came back :bash: I will have to give these a try. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread