New build for heads up racing

Coonsnake

Established Member
Well the time has come to make some more power. Since my wife has been racing her Roush-charged 5.0 this year in NMRA I have decided to pull my motor in my GT500 and send it to L&M engines.

Initially I was going to just keep and reuse my stock iron block but after finding a really good deal on some Ford GT aluminum blocks I've decided to use one of them instead. L&M will be doing all of the machine work and assembly of the new aluminum motor. I will be getting a full Slawko port job to the heads and lower intake with a custom set of cams using the big ford gt timing gear and chains. I got lucky and found a set of ford gt cam covers as well so I can use the bigger hardware.

Not sure the cubic inches im goin with but NMRA EFI renegade class said max allowable for the class is 365''. Im gonna need to get every ounce of power out of this motor. I sold the whipple and will be going to the 3.6LC KB, it was a hard choice between it and the 4.0L whipple, that's the largest two NMRA allows. Then I will have a set of ARH 2'' headers and 3 pump return style fuel system in case I ever decide to go e85. I will be running the URT advance for the time. Im hoping I can make 1100 plus hp through my 4r100. The car has ran a 9.5@143 with 730 hp @ 3800lbs so 1100 should be interesting at 3700lbs.

I plan on posting some pictures in the next few days off the engine removal and ford gt block im going with

Van@RevanRacing

Well the time has come to make some more power. Since my wife has been racing her Roush-charged 5.0 this year in NMRA I have decided to pull my motor in my GT500 and send it to L&M engines.

Initially I was going to just keep and reuse my stock iron block but after finding a really good deal on some Ford GT aluminum blocks I've decided to use one of them instead. L&M will be doing all of the machine work and assembly of the new aluminum motor. I will be getting a full Slawko port job to the heads and lower intake with a custom set of cams using the big ford gt timing gear and chains. I got lucky and found a set of ford gt cam covers as well so I can use the bigger hardware.

Not sure the cubic inches im goin with but NMRA EFI renegade class said max allowable for the class is 365''. Im gonna need to get every ounce of power out of this motor. I sold the whipple and will be going to the 3.6LC KB, it was a hard choice between it and the 4.0L whipple, that's the largest two NMRA allows. Then I will have a set of ARH 2'' headers and 3 pump return style fuel system in case I ever decide to go e85. I will be running the URT advance for the time. Im hoping I can make 1100 plus hp through my 4r100. The car has ran a 9.5@143 with 730 hp @ 3800lbs so 1100 should be interesting at 3700lbs.

I plan on posting some pictures in the next few days off the engine removal and ford gt block im going with

Everything is right on track! The right engine builder, the right platform, everything.

I hope you will take a suggestion. Run Sunoco E-85R or Ignite E-85 or Ignite E-98 and bypass the URT. You've got the fuel system for it and it will reduce any detonation and allow more timing. Plus those fuels are more consistent.

Should be a bad ass ride!

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
What Van said.. Not to mention URT Advanced is no where to be found, with no real ETA to come back to the shelves.. I was going to run URT in my car as well, I'm now going to run E85..

Coonsnake

Established Member
Van if I do run the E85 it will be the good stuff like the Sunoco you mentioned. Only thing holding me back is that I don't think it is legal to run it in the heads up class.

Maybe you guys can give me some insight to the rule here:

GASOLINE: Gasoline as outlined here is the only acceptable fuel for use in this eliminator (See Section 13). The NMRA Racing Association reserves the right to check gasoline at any time during competition. Gasoline, as defined by the NHRA rulebook, is a mixture of hydrocarbons only. The average dielectric constant (D.C.) for the hydrocarbons that compromises gasoline is 2.025. This is defined as a reading of “0” on the fuel-check meter. NMRA allows no greater reading than a “0” on the fuel-check meter. Failure to pass fuel check is grounds for disallowance of the run during qualifying and disqualification from the event during eliminations

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
good luck JD. Should be bad ass.

Is Mike doing the Cams as well? Billet oil pump gear set as well?

Van@RevanRacing

I think you answered your own question. It would be great to run URT Advanced if you have it and it will last the season and then switch over to E-85 for the other events.

If URT isn't available then it looks like C-16 or C-23. I know they are leaded and its more plug maintenance and O2 maintenance but it does give you the detonation protection and allows you to run the timing that the motor Michael is building you can handle.

Coonsnake

Established Member
Yea I just talked with NMRA and E85 is a no-go. Now I gotta see if the URT advance will pass tech being they cant be oxygenated. Van have you tried the C-23?

Yea Mike will be spec'n the cams and doing the billet oil pump gears.

Coonsnake

Established Member
Here is a few pics of the stock motor being crated up and some of the Ford gt block and the Ford gt valve covers. You can see the extra ribbing and support the Ford gt block has over the stock iron block. Big thanks to Shelby Mark for giving a good deal on some 2'' ARH headers and custom built oil pan for the new block.
DSCN0059_zps70f29d9c.jpg

DSCN0058_zpsb68e9c18.jpg

DSCN0060_zpsa9993049.jpg

DSCN0042_zpscb064b7a.jpg

DSCN0041_zps4624abe0.jpg

Fordgtvalvecover_zpsd08e4f96.jpg

Quade

Old Man.
Established Member
Looking good JD, looking VERY good. That thing is gonna put you in a whole new digit zone brother. Ill be keeping an eye on it. Congrats buddy, you deserve it.

Evolution

Established Member
We're very excited that we can contribute to JD's build. We will help support him anyway we can, especially at the track.

Users who are viewing this thread