New caged pulley problem?

04ASSASSIN

Established Member
I've just noticed that i have about a 1/4 inch play (left to right) in the pulley. Took the small insert off the front and the allen head insert seems to be twisted. Has anybody else had this problem or even heard of it?
Car has less than 50 miles on it since the pulley install.

Thanks Terry

TRBO VNM

can you post a pic?

there are 3 rubber mounts that are in the pully..is that what you mean insert?

+1

Without that "insert" on there, there will be a little play it in and actually, you could unscrew the pulley from that center shaft. That "insert" is aligned only one way to keep it in a specific position so those 3 bushings do not compress. when I received mine, after installing the cage back on the car, I spun the pulley all the way tight and then backed it off just enough until that "insert" was in alignment.

Last edited:

04ASSASSIN

Established Member
+1

Without that "insert" on there, there will be a little play it in and actually, you could unscrew the pulley from that center shaft. That "insert" is aligned only one way to keep it in a specific position so those 3 bushings do not compress. when I received mine, after installing the cage back on the car, I spun the pulley all the way tight and then backed it off just enough until that "insert"the was in alignment.[/QUOTE

The play is with everything together

hotcobra03

Established Member
those rubber are very important..and so far un-repairable.

mine is so bad that the post that was 1/2 thick is now 1/8 flat..the pulley where the rubber is is almost thru to where it wont hold a piece of rubber...

ford doesnt sell these anymore as to svt ..

i pull mine every couple of weeks to change the rubber with makeshift hose..

when together i cant move pulley..when worn it moves more than an inch..

i have had a rattle when up around 4grand...i think its this pulley banging

i kinda remember the oem rubber is over the pulley between tribar,,and will look blown up when tightened..this is how it holds pully tight..

when off and in hand the pulley will slide on tribar shafts..very strange on how it works

Last edited:

muttley

-Neal-
Established Member
When I put mine on, I noticed all that play; I knew that would not hold up in the long run. I took the cover plate to a machine shop and had them machne the 3 bolt hoes so they are adjustable.. I could then tighten up the pulley snug, no movement in the pulley now, and the bolt holes will align in any position. This may not be the way it was intended to work, but I was afraid it would do what you have just described.
Also, there may be a thin shim behind the pulley. (you have to unscrew the assembly to see this.. Mine had one. I removed it. The shim would move the pulley out further, changing the belt contact area slightly. I have had the setup now for around 2k miles. No belt wear, no other wear, no problems for me! I may have a picture of the modified cover; I'll check this evening if anyone is interested.

hotcobra03

Established Member
When I put mine on, I noticed all that play; I knew that would not hold up in the long run. I took the cover plate to a machine shop and had them machne the 3 bolt hoes so they are adjustable.. I could then tighten up the pulley snug, no movement in the pulley now, and the bolt holes will align in any position. This may not be the way it was intended to work, but I was afraid it would do what you have just described.
Also, there may be a thin shim behind the pulley. (you have to unscrew the assembly to see this.. Mine had one. I removed it. The shim would move the pulley out further, changing the belt contact area slightly. I have had the setup now for around 2k miles. No belt wear, no other wear, no problems for me! I may have a picture of the modified cover; I'll check this evening if anyone is interested.

this is my next option to make new studs..

my problem is our cobra is our only car..ive been looking for a used lower to use so i dont have downtime..

ive gotten this pulley down for getting it off very easy...im going to try something next time off..i made a way to hold tribar so i can try to loosen allen bolt(with 20ft pipe if needed) to take pulley apart so i can repair black pulley with a sleeve to hold rubber for a snug fit...

the first time i had pulley off i thought it was loose after getting allen loose..being it turned/movement on posts..but once allen was hand tight the pulley would be snug..it appears it centers itself when belt is on:shrug: fords better idea:mj:

here are some pics on my beat up pulley
IMG_9145.jpg

IMG_9146.jpg

IMG_9147.jpg

IMG_9149.jpg

IMG_9143.jpg

Last edited:

04ASSASSIN

Established Member

Thanks for the input. Guess I'll try having the holes machined and see if that fixes it.

Users who are viewing this thread