New car time...

s_x_i

Established Member
I'm about to have another birthday and it's time for some new wheels. I'll be selling the BMW (my 3rd 330ci) and trying out a few other models.

Budget is 30k otd. BUT I can buy under book using my dealers license, so MSRP MAYBE 36 ish

I want something comfortable - 3.5 hour road trips are very common. I need some power, I like to be able to put my foot down and feel it.

I've narrowed it down to:

04-06 CL 55 amg love it, serious suspension issues
04-06 SL 55 amg winning right now, not too keen on vert
07-09 335i coupe - not enough power?
11-12 5.0

Any other ideas? Anything I'm missing? It's time I did something stupid and spent some of this credit line I appear to be accumulating. **** it, I'm gonna be 32 soon, by rights I've only got another 50 years to **** shit up!

The wife is on board... Might even go all out and get a tattoo as well :eek:

Just wanted to add - I have a 30k mile 03 Cobra I'm in the process of putting twins on, so not looking for another SVT :burnout:

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
i would never buy a mercedes, my friend bought an '08 and had nothing but problems with it. just one thing after another until the dealership finally refunded the whole purchase price and let him return the car.

s_x_i

Established Member
Should have said upfront:

I own a shop and have techs on staff along with multiple wholesale parts accounts. A Mercedes would be expensive, but not cost prohibitive. The blown V8 is a proven platform with relatively few issues.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
I always laugh when someone spouts about how unreliable Mercedes can be. Friend has an 05 CL65. Other then a couple ABS suspension struts, and minor issues it has done 130k miles without some monster repair bill.

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
I always laugh when someone spouts about how unreliable Mercedes can be. Friend has an 05 CL65. Other then a couple ABS suspension struts, and minor issues it has done 130k miles without some monster repair bill.

for what they're charging though theres no excuse for stuff to be going wrong left and right.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
04-06 CL 55 amg love it, serious suspension issues
This car would be a great cruiser for your road trips and it also has room for passengers and luggage if you ever wanted to take it on a family road trip.

No offense but this car is better suited to the 55+ crowd.
You have the option to go either hard top or vert which is a nice option for the hotter days. Not very much room for passengers or luggage.

07-09 335i coupe - not enough power?
Too small and these cars are a dime a dozen on the road.
You've had 3 before. Time for a change.

11-12 5.0
Great car but you already have the Cobra.

I would personally go for the CL55 if you can fix the suspension issues without going over budget.

Last edited:

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
for what they're charging though theres no excuse for stuff to be going wrong left and right.

If things went wrong left and right, he would have dumped it long ago. 7 years and 130k miles on anything is going to need repairs. Warranty covered just about everything.

S_X_I, I vote CL65, or SL65

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
You have the option to go hard top or vert but not very much room for passengers or luggage. Might be nice to have the vert option though on the nice days.
You sure about this? I remember Jeremy Clarkson or somebody from Top Gear loving this car because it was a retractable hard top with a ton of trunk space.

Of the cars you posted about OP, I would get an SL65. Twin turbo German v12

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I'm guessing you want a two door, but I'm just tossing it out there because I always loved how this car looked

How about a CLS 55 / CLS 63 AMG?

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
You sure about this? I remember Jeremy Clarkson or somebody from Top Gear loving this car because it was a retractable hard top with a ton of trunk space.

-CL55 has over 12 cubic feet of trunk space.
-SL55 has only 7 cubic feet with the top down.

Breathtaking new roadster with retractable steel top
written by Jim McCraw

The new Mercedes SL is a sinuous, sensuous roadster with dramatic styling. Press a button and, 16 seconds later, its retractable power steel roof changes it from the open-air fun of a convertible to the quiet comfort of a luxury coupe. The SL is packed with every bit of automotive technology that Mercedes has perfected over the past dozen years, and that's a lot of technology. It does everything well, assuming you like to travel light because there's not much luggage space.

Last edited:

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
OP said he is not too keen on a vert, with the hard top UP how much is the trunk space? More than the CL

Cargo capacity is 7.3 cubic feet with the top down and 10.2 cubic feet when the top is up.
The CL55 trunk space is still a bit larger but it's definitely closer with the top up.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I have a 2008 135i that is just sitting in FL right now. My brother in law gets her up to operating temps once a week. 470ish rwhp. Being gone all the time takes the fun out of it.
Do you need a family car, the 135 is just a coupe not a sedan.

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
Get the CL55 if you're not worried about the mechanical issues. Can't go wrong with a big luxury coupe with genuine room for 4 and huge balls.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
get the new Focus ST.

He did not say he wanted to look gay while driving. LOL!

On a side note I may have one in my gay car collection if they can get closer to 300hp. Maybe an ST-R

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
He did not say he wanted to look gay while driving. LOL!

On a side note I may have one in my gay car collection if they can get closer to 300hp. Maybe an ST-R

Buy an ST and throw some bolt-ons at it and I bet it'll be at or over 300 HP....

Users who are viewing this thread