New clutch...now it goes into gear hard?

midtex01gt

Established Member
Well I installed the new Spec stage 3+, but now the car acts like it doesn't want to go into gear...it was silky smooth with the burnt clutch and now it acts like I have to wrestle to get it into gear...

...is this just part of the break in? The clutch was installed correctly by a buddy of mine that has done all the t56 installs here in town, and it is all done by the book. The t56 itself was rebuilt with all new shifter forks, and a brand new 2nd -4th gears just 6 months ago, and these symptoms weren't there with the centerforce in there....

..by the way I have the firewall adjuster cranked all the way IN against the firewall to make sure that the clutch isn't riding the flywheel/pressure plate..

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
you went too far with the adjuster

what you have done is left too much slack in the cable which means you're not getting enough disengagement, thus the hard shifting

it can be difficult to find the sweet spot with our limited pedal travel...

Last edited:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
exactly, just do small changes until the shifter frees up when putting it in gear.......do it with everything hot to allow for heat expansion
keep in mind that you're setting this with engine idling and trans in neutral, so be prepared to possibly need to back it off again for high RPM shifting

higher centrifigual forces will often make the PP fingers move outward and this will decrease the gap

Last edited:

midtex01gt

Established Member
Now to see if the damn little allen wrench will fit back there along the firewall to lock the darn thing in place!!!

midtex01gt

Established Member
Finally got it to go where it doesn't buzz real bad all the way engaged and still grabs good now. Good mid ground!!

NEWSVTGUY

Established Member
Were you having the problem when driving or when the car was sitting, because I have a hard time putting the car in gear and shifting through the gears when i'm not moving but once i'm going it shifts fine. Is this normal?

Users who are viewing this thread