new clutch time again!!! which one now?

golfprowanabe

Established Member
new clutch time again!!! should I go to a metallic?

Ok, after only 4000 miles on my CenterForce DF clutch, it burnt out! I'm thinking of going to a metal clutch ( I forgot the name ??900 i think). Has anyone had experience with this type of clutch. I could use some input!
thanks

Last edited:

JSHTROD

Established Member
Originally posted by golfprowanabe
Ok, after only 4000 miles on my CenterForce DF clutch, it burnt out! I'm thinking of going to a metal clutch ( I forgot the name ??900 i think). Has anyone had experience with this type of clutch. I could use some input!
thanks

Centerforce totally sucks.

Go with a stock clutch, Spec, or McLeod.

I hear Clutch Masters is good as well..

:beer:

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
I have heard from quite a few people who loved the DF. Some want a bit stronger of a clutch and go with a dual puck setup. IF you really want something to grab and hold, go with the spec 2/3 hybrid.

lethal

Established Member
Wow, burned out already? How did you drive? Many quarter mile runs, normal driving? Did you break it in properly?

I just switched to the CF DF800075 kit... hope I don't get the same results....

golfprowanabe

Established Member
Originally posted by lethal
Wow, burned out already? How did you drive? Many quarter mile runs, normal driving? Did you break it in properly?

I just switched to the CF DF800075 kit... hope I don't get the same results....

well let me say this..... don't do a dry burnout if you have drag radials!!! :beer:

drkchk03svt

Established Member
I just installed a spec 3 and I really enjoy it. If you have unlimited funds you might want to give clutch masters a call. That is like the 10th Centerforce DF that I have heard that burned up in the 03's. I think Lynn was telling me that one of her customers made it only 400 miles with one.

Last edited:

coleman

Established Member

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
I have been beating the crap out of my DF CenterForce for about 5 months and no problems. I have not even had to readjust it yet.

Part of the problem may lie in the launch technique. The IRS usually requires some slipping when launching hard. This is death for any clutch, I don't care what brand it is.

Dana

lethal

Established Member
That makes me feel better, thx Dana.

I will admit, I "forgot" I was breaking it in... I was too astounded at the ride home. I never nailed it or anything, but I have gone into boost. I hope I didn't cook it.

If I did, shame on me. But, I do like how it feels, I don't know if the pressure plate helped but I feel like the tranny shift smoother.

My mechanic warned me that the "high points" will even out and the clutch will feel more substantial after the first 500 miles, I suppose thats why -- by 500 stop n go miles it should be mated well with the flywheel, offering maximum surface contact.

John

golfprowanabe

Established Member
I gave it a 500 mile break in. I had no problems with the DF as well until I did ONE dry burnout. That's all it took.

golfprowanabe

Established Member
Originally posted by VintagePorscheG
have you thought of taking a driving lesson?

Well I took a 445 hp cobra down the track for an 11.6 second run at 123 mph! I would be confident in saying I don't 'suck' at driving. :-D :-D :beer:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Originally posted by golfprowanabe
I gave it a 500 mile break in. I had no problems with the DF as well until I did ONE dry burnout. That's all it took.

Typically, a person will try to regulate the burnout by slipping the clutch instead of using the throttle. I have caught myself doing this a few times. Once the clutch is engaged fully, it should make no difference if the pad is wet or dry.The trick is to get the clutch out and fully engaged as soon as possible.
Could this have been part of the reason for the failure on yours?

Dana

Miamifan1354

De Chapter of the MACA
Established Member
I have a dual friction sitting on the floor infront of me with the TOB sitting on top of that.. you got me all worried..

Users who are viewing this thread