New Daily Driver (AMG Content)

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
Hi all! As much as I enjoy driving my Boss 302, it was never really meant to be my daily driver. I wanted something that was a little more practical, possibly a little more low key, and just more comfortable. The Boss and Cobra always put a smile on my face, but after a long day at work sometime I just want to relax behind the wheel.

I wanted to spend in the mid 20s, so my first thought was a Focus ST. It's more fuel efficent, has 4 doors, and a hatch. But when I finally looked at one, the back seat room seemed pretty bad (probably due to the Recaros), and it is stick only. Now I'm one of the biggest proponents of sticks, but I was thinking I want a comfortable car that I can slog through LA traffic at a moment's notice. I know, I know, a low key car that's an automatic! I must be getting old. :(

Next thought was a Fusion as I love the way it looks. One equipped like I'd want (SE w/2.0T) was around 28,500, which is a bit more than I wanted to spend, and I felt like I'd be disappointed with only 240hp. Practical doesn't need to mean slow!

So I thought about used cars. My dream sedan, an E39 M5, is in the high teens, but it is stick only. Next I checked my favorite Mercedes, the W211 E55s. They are priced right in the low 20s, seem to be very reliable after talking to shops & owners, and I would not be let down by the performance. I looked around, and there happened to be a perfect example from 2004 just a few miles from me in Newport Beach! It was the appropriate color (silver), low miles (49K), and already had the wheels I wanted (gunmetal SL65 19's). When I went to look at it, the previous owner kept EVERYTHING. It had every receipt from every service, all the original books (even the throw-away tire warranty guide), window sticker, and German build sheet, and had just had an full service performed before it was up for sale.

After driving it, I was hooked. It rode great, had amazing power, and felt very solid. The price was a little high, but I get the dealer down significantly as the car was on the lot for 4 months and that car isn't in high demand. Sorry for the crappy pictures, I will take some better ones & try to get my 3 cars together.

e55.jpg

067ku.jpg

070yk.jpg

066qq.jpg

071zr.jpg

Love me some 8-piston brakes! Can someone tell me why a new SL63 has 6-piston fronts & 2-piston sliders in the rear, while this car has 8-piston front, 4-piston fixed rears!

After driving it for 2 weeks, I still love it. As for the low key part, I guess that doesn't apply in this case. I guess people see a low car with quad tips and they figure I'll run! While I'm more than happy with the stock power, I can't wait to start modding. This thing is like blown Fords where you sneeze on it and make more power. Pulley, tune, and cooling mods should be a fun starting point. :burnout:

SVTDarin

Established Member
Welcome to the club I bought an 04 E55 about 1 month ago and I have never owned a car that put such a smile on my face every time I get in it!

kaz109

Established Member
Great choice in a DD....i think AMG's are the perfect dd because you get style, luxury, comfort all while making an 11sec pass lol...just out of curiosity why did u pick the 55 or a 63?

Third Honk

It's OK, I'm Handsome
Established Member
Nice, I've loved E55's ever since the fuelslut vids of the silver one racing the cobra.

My AMG just left Germany and should be delivered to me early February :) I love AMG's because they are so over the top and unnecessary for a luxury car, can't wait to get owning one off my bucket list

coposrv

Established Member
Such a great car. I really love these things. You're right with the mods. Seems like a few little bolt on's and tune wakes it up quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread