New differential

Siscakidd

Livin the dream
Established Member
So I brought my 14 GT 500 back to the dealer for gear whine and they called me today and said that ford told them to just replace to whole differential ,I asked if it was and updated unit and he said it was upgraded unit.anyone else heard this?

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I have not heard of complete differential installs, just the internal parts. Wish they would replace mine....:cuss:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Nice, doing gears too?
Wonder if they made a part upgrade and I wonder went it went into production?
-J

Siscakidd

Livin the dream
Established Member
Before they told me they were gonna do the whole unit,I asked about changing gears and they told me that it would void the warranty on that part,which I thought was BS have not had a chance to call SVT on that issue ,any one else no if that's true?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Hmm, good question. I would think it would depend on the dealer. If they do the work and you use a FRPP gear and the diff breaks again, I wouldn't think they would deny it at same dealer.
Do you plan on modding much? Tune etc?
If you do, I would personally do the gear as its like getting free labor and the rear parts aren't too expensive comparatively if you do have an issue.
I think a guy recently posted he bought a 3.73 complete 8.8 axle that fits our cars from FRPP for $1295.
I think you would enjoy the car more with a gear, but that's all personal preference and I just like the feeling of steeper gears.
Good luck, please let us know how it goes.
-J

muauto

Established Member
Do you mean the hole internals? Or housing and all ? My 2013 with 800miles is whining pretty good it started right after a 123 hammer down. I would probably go with 373 when i have it fixed, any body know if the 1/4 mile time increases by much. I am sure traction will be more of an issue. Whats up with this so called traction controll? I feel like i am John Force back peddling all the time. But sure is fun:lol:

Siscakidd

Livin the dream
Established Member
Do you mean the hole internals? Or housing and all ? My 2013 with 800miles is whining pretty good it started right after a 123 hammer down. I would probably go with 373 when i have it fixed, any body know if the 1/4 mile time increases by much. I am sure traction will be more of an issue. Whats up with this so called traction controll? I feel like i am John Force back peddling all the time. But sure is fun:lol:

No ,he said the whole thing new housing and all

verbal

Established Member
So what are the advantages/disadvantages of going to 3.73? I see this mod on almost everyone's wish list but can't seem to find any explanation of the benefits. Why does the '13-'14 come with a 3.31 gear when the '11-'12 came with 3.73?

For me the car does not pull hard enough from 3rd and 4th gear. This is something that I never thought would have been a problem.

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
The 3.31 with the HP produced = 200+ MPH topspeed. Which gets great articles written about the most powerful & fastest production mustang of all time. It also nets more consistent quarter mile performance, making the car easier to drive on hard acceleration, and generally more favorable on a road course for the same reason, the power is applied more smoothly and controllably.

For street driving, 3.73 is way more enjoyable. The car feels lighter and zippier while still producing all that power. With decent driving & the right tires, the 3.73 will be quicker in acceleration, so the quarter mile requires a bit more skill to get optimal but the result could be in the .2-.5 quicker ET. In my experience I've gone from 3.08 to 3.55 and dropped .4 on my ET, and in the distant past I swapped my 2.73 rear for a 3.73 and dropped .6 and the car felt like it had 100 more HP.

So for all around track performance and magazine testing, etc., the 3.31 will yield overall great results .. hec, the 2013 GT500 is in the top 20 Leguna Seca fastest lap times - yes, a mustang, right behind the Porsche GT3 RS. That's competitive with worldwide exotics costing multiple times more. Going to 3.73s is a super simple mod, so gearheads wanting more zip can make the change pretty easily so it's a common mod on all flavors and years of mustangs.

Dave.

NvrEnfHP

Established Member
when I went to 3.73. I was told the Ford Warranty would be voided on the Gears, but the Ford Racing Warranty had a 12 month warranty. Labor would be a year as well for the gears, and 3 years for everything else.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
The only time Ford has had us replace the whole rear end is when we've made multiple corrections, and the problem still exists. It's possible upon inspection they found a machining problem with the housing itself, and/or excessive metal in the fluid. That would warrant a complete replacement.

And I don't know about "updated", all you're getting is a new replacement rear end off the assembly line. So it's no different than what the '14's are getting right now.

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
So I brought my 14 GT 500 back to the dealer for gear whine and they called me today and said that ford told them to just replace to whole differential ,I asked if it was and updated unit and he said it was upgraded unit.anyone else heard this?

No ,he said the whole thing new housing and all

Now you are confusing me. Are talking the differential or AXLE? The differential is just one internal component in the rear axle assembly...

Siscakidd

Livin the dream
Established Member
Now you are confusing me. Are talking the differential or AXLE? The differential is just one internal component in the rear axle assembly...

I wish I new myself ,he said housing and all so I guess it means the rear axle assembley,they never even took it apart they just listened to it,and made the call to replace it after talking to ford,I called SVT today and they said there is no updated part and said that it was probably manufactured incorrectly

Snoopy49

Established Member
Maybe someone at Ford has finally wised up and decided to inspect one of these untouched failed rear-ends personally without having to rely on some unknown mechanics diagnosis and actually find out what is failing and why.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread