New Discover Channel series offers HD look at Mustang racing.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
OK, I've watched them now, and for the most part, it was a good series (the show I mean-the Challenge series was GREAT!). But while I enjoyed the little sidebars about tech (track lines, off camber turns, etc), I found the general commentary more befitting a staged reality show than a sports documentary. I think it was just the way it was written, but it tended to bother me. Like they were trying to create (and rehash) drama where it didn't exist, while missing some of the overall excitement that went on through the races.

And did anyone else find it a bit strange that the team that Discovery Theater was following, Stable One, had it's headquarters in a nondescript building in Silver Spring, MD (a building that just happens to be the Discovery Communications Headquarters), and the team manager was from Chevy Chase, MD?

I will save it on my TiVo for awhile, to get through the winter months.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
And did anyone else find it a bit strange that the team that Discovery Theater was following, Stable One, had it's headquarters in a nondescript building in Silver Spring, MD (a building that just happens to be the Discovery Communications Headquarters), and the team manager was from Chevy Chase, MD?

I will save it on my TiVo for awhile, to get through the winter months.

Look to see who owns Discovery Channel and look at who was racing for Stable One;-)

Do you have any way to get the series off your TiVo and onto DVD? I would pay for the DVD's, shipping and be very grateful if you could get me the shows. I don't have cable or satellite of any sort and would really like them since I worked on George Winkler's car for the majority of the season.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I watched it and was amazed that one of the drivers had wrecked so many times and kept coming back and seemed like he got 'promoted' into other series. The worst thing was the 15-20 minute recap at the beginning of each episode.

wheelhopper

Established Member
^I've seen guys like that at a NASA event or two. Gotta wonder how a guy can wreck twice in one session, and the second time is a few hundred yards from the checker with no other racer close by, and still keep their racing license.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Look to see who owns Discovery Channel and look at who was racing for Stable One;-)

Do you have any way to get the series off your TiVo and onto DVD? I would pay for the DVD's, shipping and be very grateful if you could get me the shows. I don't have cable or satellite of any sort and would really like them since I worked on George Winkler's car for the majority of the season.

I think I can. Give me a few days to try stuff.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Tom, I was hoping to PM you with some good news, but I'm not so sure now. I'm hoping maybe someone else has an idea.

We're starting with HD recordings from Verizon FiOS on an HD TiVo.

I've gotten the HD recordings off the TiVo onto my computer. But each episode is over 7GB! (Boy, they look great, though).
I can't burn it straight onto a DVD because of the size.
I tried zipping the files, but it was still almost 7GB.
My editing program won't import the TiVo Recording file type, so no luck compressing it that way.
So far, all I can think of is copying each episode onto an 8GB flash drive, which go for @$15 each.
Or copying each episode onto VHS from the TiVo, which loses the HD (but is free, I got a zillion old tapes around).

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:

dragon40k

Established Member
I watched the recap a few days ago. Stumbled onto it by accident really. I thought they could have done a much better job showing the actual racing and less time talking about the drivers. This is probably what made it have that "reality show" feel to it.
I can't speak for the unwashed masses but I much prefer to just watch racing.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
Greg, I'd recommend saving files to a 150gb flash drive and shipping it to Blackbolt. You could also xfer the files via an FTP site, but I wouldn't feel warm and fuzzy about using an FTP to xfer copyrighted material..

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Troy, I thought about using the FTP we have at work. But 3 700+GB files will take a looooooong time.
But if Tom has broadband, that's an option.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Troy, I thought about using the FTP we have at work. But 3 700+GB files will take a looooooong time.
But if Tom has broadband, that's an option.

If they are 700 GB files I don't have enough hard drive to even think about it:-D

I do have DSL at home (which seems to run pretty quick) and some sort of high speed at work as well. I could also talk to work about having you load them on our ftp site but I won't be back there until Jan. 7th. I'm not in a huge rush though, I would just like them at some point, I really appreciate your trying, If you can make it out to Lime Rock Park or New Jersey on the weekends I'm there for Koni Challenge I'll owe you are few beverages of your choice:beer:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
We'll work something out. I'm at a friends now and he has downlosded a program to rip TiVo files into other formats, but I'm on my second bloody mary, and suprised I found this site.

Later.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I have all of it saved on my DVR but not sure if I can load it up on something else

Tim:

I did get to watch one episode (#1 I think?) at my brother-in-law's house on Christmas Eve. It was pretty interesting.

If you can come up with a way to even put it on VHS (I know, I'm a dinosaur) that would be cool!

Otherwise, no biggie!

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
We'll work something out. I'm at a friends now and he has downlosded a program to rip TiVo files into other formats, but I'm on my second bloody mary, and suprised I found this site.

Later.

Sounds good, enjoy them bloody marys!:thumbsup:

Tim:

I did get to watch one episode (#1 I think?) at my brother-in-law's house on Christmas Eve. It was pretty interesting.

If you can come up with a way to even put it on VHS (I know, I'm a dinosaur) that would be cool!

Otherwise, no biggie!

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

I'll hook you up once me and Greg get something worked out, you've helped me out more than enough times:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread