New dyno numbers... Still more power to be had!

yamahaSHO

Established Member
Today a couple of my buddies and I took our cars to the dyno. My buddy Terry and I brought our SHO's and Pat brought his Dinan 750iL.

I had a good time despite it being a little cold. I find that my bypass/BOV was opening after 7,000 RPM on my first run. I disconnected the blower side of the valve and it stayed shut. I was hitting about 16 or so PSI now and the tune I had was tuned with the pop-off function of the valve working, so I now started losing fuel at about 7,500 RPM. I'm pretty sure that I could gain another 20-30whp after I work on the tune some more.

Terry put down 390whp w/ a slipping belt and stock motor, Pat's BMW suprised quite a few. He put down 425whp and 520wtq.

Anyway, here are my graphs. My best whp was 438whp and best torque was 336wtq. I was hoping for 450whp, but I still think this is well within my reach (running 91 octane):

IMG_7310.jpg

Losing fuel up top. I added a little fuel, but didn't want to mess with the car too much on the dyno. I would much rather tune the car on the street. The green graph was my first run when my BOV was opening up.
IMG_7311.jpg

IMG_7309.jpg

Here are some pictures from the day (I'll see if I can host some videos later):

Here are the grocery getters!
IMG_7296.jpg

Pat, can you pick up some milk for me? :)
IMG_7299.jpg

04gtstang

Established Member
WOW you would never ever suspect those cars are throwing down THAT much power! Man im impressed....awsome #s!

Also, someone needs to work on that A/F curve...in need of some serious attention LOL.

yamahaSHO

Established Member
Yeah, the A/F was fine until I noticed my pop-off valve was opening at 7k RPM and after I disconnected the boost side of the valve to keep it shut, it was losing fuel. Now that I know that the valve was opening, I'll tune for it now staying closed. I think I'll see 460whp on street gas and a street tune next time.

Here are some videos from the dyno.

http://www.mediafire.com/?5xxfb5ximyd

http://www.mediafire.com/?7rxfzidov9n

And here is a video from a couple years ago on the stock 3L and 10 PSI of boost. At 1:55, I have some videos of when I spun a bearing on the road course.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQunI0q5zLg&feature=related"]YouTube - 3.0L Supcercharged SHO compilation video[/ame]

ez112

Established Member
Those are some badass numbers!! But man, hit the track and see what she can do. Even IN that high altitude. Nothing worse than dyno queens. It's like all SHO's are.

HomeboyNorm

Established Member
Awesome numbers. It must be one strong runner on the streets.

Do you check and post in the SHO forums?

I have an '89 SHO for my daily driver. Love SHOs too!

yamahaSHO

Established Member
Yes, I am a regular on the SHO Forum... Thought not as much as I used to be.

I studied my data logs today and noted a few things that I need to change. I am actually going to swap my 80mm Lightning MAF out for a 90mm Lightning MAF, bumping up the fuel pressure and tuning again... I'll keep the 16-17 PSI for now and *may* vent it at 13 PSI when I move this summer to lower altitude.

blue92

Established Member
Those are some badass numbers!! But man, hit the track and see what she can do. Even IN that high altitude. Nothing worse than dyno queens. It's like all SHO's are.

My SHO ain't no dyno queen. Here's some numbers for ya 186k+miles and counting, last Bandera fun Run we did 65 miles in 34 minutes in the twisties of the Texas hill country. In the last 4 years 4 road course track events, in the last 6 years 12 fun runs. 1 Cobra and at least 9 Mustang GTs, and 1 E550 Benz highway kills. Here's a clip of our last Austin fun run. I'm the SHO just in front of the guy filming,

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98BhbqZJgOY"]YouTube - fordbastards 2007 Spring Fun Run SHO Club[/ame]

SHO's suck at the drag strip with the FWD and major torque steer unless you have a quafe you won't be breaking any track records, but from a roll all new ball game.

Oh btw on the Benz kill he started it by eggin me on, the SHO finished him off. :) You should of seen that guys face when the my $4k SHO started to pull on his $60k+ Benz at 130+mph.

Last edited:

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
It's not that FI SHOs are dyno queens. It's that they cant stick the power from a dig. They shine on the street.

blue92

Established Member
It's not that FI SHOs are dyno queens. It's that they cant stick the power from a dig. They shine on the street.

They do well on a road course too, if they aren't boosted to much. Russ Kramer's "freakSHO" is runnin about 10lbs of boost with a 100 shot when we do Texas World Speedway in College Station, Tx. he out runs the Cobras and Mustang GTs around the track. Last May Kirk Doucette in his NA 95 MTX was out running a Porsche 911 and pissing the guy off, he came over and told Kirk your supposed to let me pass Kirk replied "if you were to ever catch me I might have".

:banana:

yamahaSHO

Established Member
Boosted SHO's do great around the road course... I've taken 17PSI SHO's around the track many times.

My car definitely isn't a "dyno queen" as I've got plenty of track video, however, with the ever-decreasing time I have to do things with a 5-week old, the dyno time was the only time I drove th car in a month.

crazycarlo

Established Member
Hey I dont know much about SHO's but I have a friend who has one and was looking for a fast car but if he cane make that much power with one of those hell more then likely keep it. Please excuse me for asking but what are your mods?

yamahaSHO

Established Member
Hey I dont know much about SHO's but I have a friend who has one and was looking for a fast car but if he cane make that much power with one of those hell more then likely keep it. Please excuse me for asking but what are your mods?

No problem... Here is a cut and paste from my cardomain page... It's fairly accurate, but I haven't updated it in some time.

ENGINE & INTAKE/FUEL/EXHAUST/MANAGEMENT

- Wiseco Forged 3.2L Pistons (9.5:1) w/ wrist pins and rings
- Australian Made Valve Springs
- Connecting Rods Flash ground, Shot Peened, Resized, and Fresh Wrist Pin Bushing
- Zero Balanced Internals w/ Micropolished crankshaft
- Big Bore Butterflies
- Extrude Hone Intake Runners
- Gasket Matched Heads
- Silicone Manifold Hose Kit
- Stage 1 Camshafts
- High Flow Y-Pipe w/Cats
- Flex Pipe
- Custom 3" exhaust
- Underdrive Pulleys
- 255lph HIGH Pressure Fuel Pump
- SHO Nut EXTREME Reinforced Motor Mounts
- TwEECer RT
- PLX Devices M-300 Wide Band O2 Sensor
- Coolingmist 2-stage water injection w/ accumulator
- Vortech T-trim Supercharger w/ 3.2" pulley
- Accel's new style 48lbs fuel injectors
- SHO Nut fuel pressure regulator w/ new feed line and dual rail feeding setup
- 2000 Ford Lightning 80mm MAF
- Fluidyne Therm-HX Oil cooler

SUSPENSION & BRAKES

- Intrax Progressive Rate Lowering Springs w/ 1 coil cut up front
- Koni Adjustable Shocks
- Front & Rear Strut Tower Braces
- TWR Full Body Sub Frame Connectors
- Rear Tubular Adjustable Control Arms
- TWR Aluminum H-Brace
- 22mm Front & 26mm Rear Sway Bars
- TPR and Greasable Poly bushings
- Cup Style Aluminum Sub Frame Bushings
- Police Front & Rear Strut Mounts
- Windstar Front Endlinks
- 17" Kazera KZ-U Rims
- Nitto Extreme NT555 High Performance Tires (235/45/ZR17)
- PBR/Cobra 13" Brakes, powder coated
- SHO Nut 11.6" rear brakes
- Earls Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
- Brake Cooling Ducts

DRIVETRAIN

- Quaife Torque Biasing Differential
- Gary Morrell Shimmed Transmission
- Shotpeened Internals
- New Brass Blocking Rings
- Clutch Masters Stage III Clutch Kit
- Red Line MT-90

INTERIOR & AUDIO

- Kenwood MP3 Player
- Kenwood 6x8" 2-way speakers
- JBL GTO635 6.5" 3-Way Speakers
- Optima Red Top Battery
- Cincy SHO Trunk & Floor Mats(SHO Logo'ed)
- S/R Motorsports White Faced "Indiglow" Gauges
- AutoMeter Lunar Electric Water Temperature, Voltmeter Gauges, & Air/Fuel(wide band)
- AutoMeter Lunar Mechanical Oil Pressure & Boost/Vacuum Gauges
- Lo-tek 3 Gauge Pod
- PLX Devices Wide Band Controller
- Corbeau CR1 Seat in Black Microsuede

MISC. AND COSMETICS

- Yamaha Badged
- Shaved Trunk Lid
- Clear Corners
- Installed Drain Plug in Transmission
- Hood Strut Relocation kit

If he wants to make this kind of power (well, slightly less with stock pistons and reliability in mind), you don't need to do all this work. I just like doing everything right and always wanted a "built" SHO.

Users who are viewing this thread