Established Member
This is what fram says:
Full two ply synthetic media wrapped around a stainless steel screen
Silicone antidrain valves
97% filtering efficiency in the 20 micron range
Around $10.00 at wal-mart

ViciousJay

Established Member
Id rather use a hobo's skid mark infested pair of underwear as a filter then to use any fram filter

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I'm sure UnleashedBeast will probably give you a full explanation on this.

Fram is a company I'd stay away from. Long ago, WalMart purchased that brand for nothing more than it's name. It then went about reworking the product to be made about as cheaply as humanly possible. Of course without telling the public who still buys it based on that Fram name.

I would look at alternatives.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Looks like I'm going to have to step out of my comfort zone here and actually defend Fram, a little. That particular Fram filter isn't half bad. If you had to use a Fram filter that would be the one to choose. That being said, that are several far superior filters in that price range.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Looks like I'm going to have to step out of my comfort zone here and actually defend Fram, a little. That particular Fram filter isn't half bad. If you had to use a Fram filter that would be the one to choose. That being said, that are several far superior filters in that price range.

Sid, your comfort zone is still intact my friend. The Xtended guard filter we are discussing is the only Fram filter I would ever use on any car I owned. The reason is...

It actually has metal end caps (not glued on cellulose ends), a synthetic style media, a tougher canister, and a nice grip on the end. It still has a stamped spring and mediocre anti-drain back valve, but it's better than their entry level filter by far. You really can't compare it to Fram's cheap orange filters. The name suggests it "should" be a cheap filter, but it's not. See photo below.

27301d23.jpg

Let's compare to their lesser "cheap" filters.

Tough Guard

0091897e.jpg

Fram Racing <---- LOL "oxymoron"

006e847b.jpg

Base Fram

bde27c8a.jpg

Avoid every other Fram filter except the Xtended Guard. It's safe to use. Not my first choice, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it if it was on my car. I would rate it to be slightly better than the FL-820 Motorcraft filters common for the 4.6 and 5.4L Ford modular engines. It should be...it's twice the price. My primary gripe about the XG filter is....the center core should have larger holes just like the "racing" filter to support better oil flow, but it doesn't. It also doesn't have as good of bypass valve as the Motorcraft filter. What a shame Fram...you "almost" had a winner.

Want to see what happens to a cheap Fram oil filter after only 2,200 miles of use?

8c00f463.jpg

The media and center support collapse. Sad...just sad!

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Since we are discussing oil filters.....Amsoil finally released an Absolute Efficiency filter for the 2011+ 5.0 Mustang and the 2012+ 302 Boss.

Amsoil EaO17 - $13.90 Retail...only $10.50 Dealer/preferred customer.

c6efe7da.jpg

[youtube_browser]EAmfwTvZx7M[/youtube_browser]

They are built very strong, and the wire back nano fiber synthetic media will not be crushed or displaced by oil pressure.

b51d7955.jpg

Ea_oil_construction.gif

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread