New girl from So Cal

RadioAngel

Established Member
Hi everyone,

My friend suggested I join because of an awful experience I had at Pep Boys yesterday. He thought this would be easier to get answers than you listen to the crap those people tried to tell me.

I have a 2000 Mustang GT, no mods.

Nice to meet you!

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Who is your friend? Gotta wonder about a recommendation of this kind simply because of one experience at pep boys. and then you come in and give no details whatsoever about your experience. one can only wonder

Last edited:

RadioAngel

Established Member
My car is stock, no mods.

My little mustang has never given me any problems. The most I've ever had to do on it was replace the housing on a spark plug.

Anywho, it was time for my car to get smogged and incidentally, the check engine light came on. My normal honest mechanic didn't have the machine to test it because he's not a smog tester, he could only tell me it was on the emissions system, that there was a leak somewhere.

So I take it to Pep Boys, get it tested. They give me this map of my emissions system, tell me I need a new solenoid, 2 new O2 sensors, and a new seal gasket on the gas tank. "Well Miss, the dealer might not sell the seal all by itself, its probably going to be the whole tank and seal as a package." I made an appt for two days hence, so I had time to go see my own mechanic who gave me prices, and said the ordeal was indeed separate.

End result: Pep Boys kept me there for 4.5 hours. I sent the codes to a family member to check on, he said the codes were the O2 sensors picking up the leak, not that they were bad. Pep Boys tried to sell me $800 in parts and service. The labor charge was $13 more than posted on the wall as well.
When I got angry, and said replace the seal only, they STILL tried to talk me out it. I left after the seal was replaced, went to get the car smogged and it came out with flying colors. The tests on the O2 sensors and solenoid in the smog test came out normal and the smog guy said there was nothing wrong.

So....... basically they tried to upsell and cheat me because I was female and didn't know any better. Incidentally, there was another girl in there for tires on her Prius and they told her that HER O2 sensor was bad too and she didn't even have an emissions test! I told her to go somewhere else and never go there without a man.

I'm a grown woman and I've never been made to feel so ignorant and stupid in my life. If my dad had been with me I know they wouldn't have attempted that.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Welcome! Sorry to hear about the experience at Pep Boys. Lots of knowledgable people on here to help.

PS - don't post in Smackdown for a while...

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
you can correct typos with this
edit.gif

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
welcome! :beer: there are alot of knowledgeable folks on here who can give you good advice

the more you learn about cars the less you will get ripped off!

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
RadioAngel - there is a lot of knowledge on the internet, read and take it in, just be aware that not everyone knows what they are talking about.

O2 on a Prius! Haha. Pep Boys fail.

Welcome, RadioAngel.

Guess the joke's on you man as the car has 2 O2 sensors for the 1.5L gasoline engine.

RadioAngel

Established Member
Thanks guys.... thats exactly why my friend had me join this site because of all the knowledge to be found here.
I'm still going to write a letter to their corporate office. I still ended up paying $220 to replace a $20 part. The manager was concerned after I threw the old gasket at the jerk behind the counter. He gave me a $45 cash refund. But that still doesn't excuse what they did.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Thanks guys.... thats exactly why my friend had me join this site because of all the knowledge to be found here.
I'm still going to write a letter to their corporate office. I still ended up paying $220 to replace a $20 part. The manager was concerned after I threw the old gasket at the jerk behind the counter. He gave me a $45 cash refund. But that still doesn't excuse what they did.
now that we have the whole story .. welcome to the site. and as said ... don't go into smackdown for awhile. DON'T post pics, no matter how many times the leg humpers ask. there are two women on the site that will give you EXCELLENT advice on being a woman on a 99.999999999999% male site. listen to them when they give you advice and you will do fine. There is a ton of good knowledge here.

and absolutely go to their coporate office with your story. include receipts, estimates and names in the letter/email.

Evil homer

Established Member
HOWDY welcome to svtp
I am from socal my self and never take my car to any shops like that
I either take it to R.E.T in downy,or buddys shop,or my drive way lol
be careful with those clowns.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
Welcome! Many times shops will try to pull stuff like that because they assume since you are a woman you don't know what you are talking about. I've never taken my car in to have any work done on it partly for that reason, and partly because it's much cheaper just to do it myself.

There is a lot of knowledgeable people on the site, you will definitely be able to learn a lot. :beer:

Oh, and pics or gtfo! Of your car, of course. :D :beer:

RadioAngel

Established Member
now that we have the whole story .. welcome to the site. and as said ... don't go into smackdown for awhile. DON'T post pics, no matter how many times the leg humpers ask. there are two women on the site that will give you EXCELLENT advice on being a woman on a 99.999999999999% male site. listen to them when they give you advice and you will do fine. There is a ton of good knowledge here.

and absolutely go to their coporate office with your story. include receipts, estimates and names in the letter/email.

LOL.. thanks. I do a little gaming and the guys do the same thing. Notice my picture avatar is far away!
I've come to this site for advice and knowledge, not for attention seeking. And I very much appreciate the warning. =)

Users who are viewing this thread