New guy!

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Thats my plan down the road for the 2.1 Kenne Bell.

The Kenne bell kit is not all that expensive, and not as much as a TT set up. Plu syour comparing a rear mounted TT kit to a Normal TT kit against a KB set-up. The normal TT kit and the KB kit are going to run the same becuase you will see more power from them and have a better platform, vs the rear mounted set up which is pretty cheap to buy and install. Plus a Fi mach will rape a stock c5z06 anyday of the week!

Now a modded z06! :banana::rockon:

Kenne Bell Mach 1 kit - 6799

Hellion Turbo, 62 mm - 6195

HP stg I kit, twin 50mm- 6395

STS tuner kit- size TBD $3895 for the twin kit, but you need a fuel kit, wide band, tuner, boostapump etc- so by the time it's all said and done about 5500 give or take a few$.

I'm finding modded C5Z's for under 25k with decent miles. I'm not seeing a downside to getting a Vette at this point. :shrug: Although a fully forged, F1A procharged, T6060 Mach would be pretty sick too. If I keep the Mach and supercharge it that's the route I'd go (well maybe not the F1 but definitely procharged).

I love KB but 6799- are you kidding me? That's rediculous:nonono:....you can do so much more with a turbo kit. Heck the HP twin 57 kit is only 86 more than the KB and the Hellion T76 kit is UNDER the KB and you get WAY more with HP or Hellion. It seems like KB is pricing itself out of the market a little bit for what it has to offer. just my .02 though.

Decisions decisions....

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
Kenne Bell Mach 1 kit - 6799

Hellion Turbo, 62 mm - 6195

HP stg I kit, twin 50mm- 6395

STS tuner kit- size TBD $3895 for the twin kit, but you need a fuel kit, wide band, tuner, boostapump etc- so by the time it's all said and done about 5500 give or take a few$.

I'm finding modded C5Z's for under 25k with decent miles. I'm not seeing a downside to getting a Vette at this point. :shrug: Although a fully forged, F1A procharged, T6060 Mach would be pretty sick too. If I keep the Mach and supercharge it that's the route I'd go (well maybe not the F1 but definitely procharged).

I love KB but 6799- are you kidding me? That's rediculous:nonono:....you can do so much more with a turbo kit. Heck the HP twin 57 kit is only 86 more than the KB and the Hellion T76 kit is UNDER the KB and you get WAY more with HP or Hellion. It seems like KB is pricing itself out of the market a little bit for what it has to offer. just my .02 though.

Decisions decisions....

Well from what you guys have told me when i decide to go all out for power i will definetly go with 4:10"s and either an Hp kit Or Hellion T76kit. Would you recommend an intake spacer? Because iver heard good things with Intake spacers on the Mach's. And i dont know what NA and Fi stand for. lol, Im a newb. :rolling:

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
If you can raise those turbos up as high as they can go and solve the drainback issues, by all means go for it. I love the fact that everything thinks I'm just a bolt-on Mach when they see the car. I took 2nd place at a carshow to a Vortech'd Mach on stock suspension because my turbos are hidden. I'm still working out the kinks, but this oil drainback and blowby were a PITA to get right.

And yes, 25+ mpg on a pullied Cobra. I have yet to get a good mpg reading on my car because I can't drive it normal :rockon:

Exactly.

I have two questions for ya. First howd you hide the turbo's? Thats way tight. And second what kind of engine mods would i be looking at when going with a TT kit? Forged rear end and pistons? And who and what would you recommend. Thanks again! :banana:

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
Well from what you guys have told me when i decide to go all out for power i will definetly go with 4:10"s and either an Hp kit Or Hellion T76kit. Would you recommend an intake spacer? Because iver heard good things with Intake spacers on the Mach's. And i dont know what NA and Fi stand for. lol, Im a newb. :rolling:

Do NOT get 4:10s if you go turbo. You will not spend enough time in the gears to allow them to spool to their potential. Keep the stock 3:55s or drop to 3:31s.

I have two questions for ya. First howd you hide the turbo's? Thats way tight. And second what kind of engine mods would i be looking at when going with a TT kit? Forged rear end and pistons? And who and what would you recommend. Thanks again! :banana:

The HP kit hides them for you. That's what makes them "famous." Well, you should definitely get forged pistons (dropping the CR to between 9 and 9.5:1; I also did a 0.020 bore), forged rods, if you are an auto get a forged crank, ARP studs, stainless valves, minor port/cleanup of the heads, billet geared oil-pump, TotalSeal rings ...I think that's pretty much what I did. Whoever is doing your motor work would know (or just buy a shortblock that's been built for turbos already).

As far as recommendations, I went with CP Pistons, Manley rods, TotalSeal rings, FRPP oil-pump ...only one's I can remember. I had a local shop do all the work to my stock block.

Last edited:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member

N/A = Naturally Aspirated
F/I = Forced Induction

Not sure about the intake spacer- Most of the people I have talked to say it doesn't do very much.

I'm also with speedofsound on the gears- from what I've seen a lot of folks running hi HP turbo applications run 3.55's or less. For example, Wolverine is running a viper spec T56 with 3.31's in his TT 95 Cobra pushing over 1000 hp.

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
Do NOT get 4:10s if you go turbo. You will not spend enough time in the gears to allow them to spool to their potential. Keep the stock 3:55s or drop to 3:31s.

The HP kit hides them for you. That's what makes them "famous." Well, you should definitely get forged pistons (dropping the CR to between 9 and 9.5:1; I also did a 0.020 bore), forged rods, if you are an auto get a forged crank, ARP studs, stainless valves, minor port/cleanup of the heads, billet geared oil-pump, TotalSeal rings ...I think that's pretty much what I did. Whoever is doing your motor work would know (or just buy a shortblock that's been built for turbos already).

As far as recommendations, I went with CP Pistons, Manley rods, TotalSeal rings, FRPP oil-pump ...only one's I can remember. I had a local shop do all the work to my stock block.

Why is it better to go with 3:31's than the stock 3:55's

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
Why is it better to go with 3:31's than the stock 3:55's

More time for the turbos to spool up. If you go turbo you are pretty much building the car for top-end anyway. I am happy with the 3.55s, so if you are staying around 600whp give or take, I'd keep the 3.55s.

*edit* Listen to my buddy's turbo Cobra (red car, near lane). He has a Hellion 62mm with 4:10s, shifts are way too close to one another.
http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y52/dcorn/New Mustang/?action=view&current=Sunburned.flv

Last edited:

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
More time for the turbos to spool up. If you go turbo you are pretty much building the car for top-end anyway. I am happy with the 3.55s, so if you are staying around 600whp give or take, I'd keep the 3.55s.

*edit* Listen to my buddy's turbo Cobra (red car, near lane). He has a Hellion 62mm with 4:10s, shifts are way too close to one another.
http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y52/dcorn/New Mustang/?action=view&current=Sunburned.flv

Most likely if i go with one of the turbo kits ill keep the 3:55's. But is it better to go with a higher gear ratio with a supercharger? 4:10's for instance, and what is better on the Mach's? Supercharger sets or Turbo sets?

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
Most likely if i go with one of the turbo kits ill keep the 3:55's. But is it better to go with a higher gear ratio with a supercharger? 4:10's for instance, and what is better on the Mach's? Supercharger sets or Turbo sets?

Yes 4:10s are better for s/c than t/c; boost is practically instant. There really isn't a better FI for our cars, it all depends on your intentions. Turbos are easier on our stock internals for running low boost though.

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
Yes 4:10s are better for s/c than t/c; boost is practically instant. There really isn't a better FI for our cars, it all depends on your intentions. Turbos are easier on our stock internals for running low boost though.

Sweet thats exactly what i want. Because i dont want to have to do alot of motor mods to be able to gain that power. So you had said previously you would go with a Hellion kit? Do you think HP is good too? But most likely if i go with a turbo kit i will go with the Hellion kit. What kinds of motor mods would i be looking at?

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
Sweet thats exactly what i want. Because i dont want to have to do alot of motor mods to be able to gain that power. So you had said previously you would go with a Hellion kit? Do you think HP is good too? But most likely if i go with a turbo kit i will go with the Hellion kit. What kinds of motor mods would i be looking at?

Go Hellion. They have both a single and a TT kit (hidden like the HP) now. Theire kits are top notch.

How much hp are you looking to make? That depends what you do to support the boost.

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
Go Hellion. They have both a single and a TT kit (hidden like the HP) now. Theire kits are top notch.

How much hp are you looking to make? That depends what you do to support the boost.

Thanks lot. Yeah im probably going to go with the TT hidden kit. But i was told that you can make just as much power with the Single turbo as you can twin turbo'd, so ill have to look more into it. And i was asking what kind of engine modifications i would be looking at to go with a Hellion turbo kit. Thanks man! :banana:

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
And i was asking what kind of engine modifications i would be looking at to go with a Hellion turbo kit. Thanks man! :banana:

Would you be running low boost or high boost? If high boost (above 10 psi), read Post #25. If low boost, you'll only need minor fuel system mods like bigger injectors and a better fuel pump.

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
Would you be running low boost or high boost? If high boost (above 10 psi), read Post #25. If low boost, you'll only need minor fuel system mods like bigger injectors and a better fuel pump.

Sweet. Thanks. Who does good forged pistons and rods? And rear ends?

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Sweet. Thanks. Who does good forged pistons and rods? And rear ends?

If you are doing the rotating assy don't forget Cams/springs. You can pick up just about any mustang magazine or look in the SVTP sponser section and find great people to deal with.

Here are a few to get you started:

Engine
MMR (home of the modular 5.8 stroker):rockon:
VT
Livernois
Sean Hyland
FRPP
Probe
DSS
Late Model Restoration
D'Augustino Racing
Kar Kraft
MPS (Mustang salvage yard- GREAT people)
HP also builds motors for turboed applications.

Rear End
Strange
Moser
FRPP

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
If you are doing the rotating assy don't forget Cams/springs. You can pick up just about any mustang magazine or look in the SVTP sponser section and find great people to deal with.

Here are a few to get you started:

Engine
MMR (home of the modular 5.8 stroker):rockon:
VT
Livernois
Sean Hyland
FRPP
Probe
DSS
Late Model Restoration
D'Augustino Racing
Kar Kraft
MPS (Mustang salvage yard- GREAT people)
HP also builds motors for turboed applications.

Rear End
Strange
Moser
FRPP

Thanks! :beer: It hard to decide where i wana take my car. lol. For now though i think im guna do Motive 4:10's and either kooks or Mac long tubes. Then possibly to spray or a Kenne Bell. A turbo kit is alot of work and money for me right now. Considering i could do a 2.1 Kenne Bell on a conservative boost and stock motor components. lol:shrug: But these other mods should keep me happy for now. :banana:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Thanks! :beer: It hard to decide where i wana take my car. lol. For now though i think im guna do Motive 4:10's and either kooks or Mac long tubes. Then possibly to spray or a Kenne Bell. A turbo kit is alot of work and money for me right now. Considering i could do a 2.1 Kenne Bell on a conservative boost and stock motor components. lol:shrug: But these other mods should keep me happy for now. :banana:

For the money a turbo kit would be money better spent....don't get me wrong. KB makes a helluva product but it's also more expensive than most base to mid-level turbo kits. Plus with the turbo kits Headers and the entire front suspension is included. And with Turbos you can generally make more power/tq than you can with a SC. From what I've seen 5 psi is the recommended boost for the kb 2.1 on a stock bottom end. Centris generally speaking it's 8psi very safely and 11 if you are pushing it- you can safely go even higher if you are running a meth set-up.

Plus with positive displacement blowers you can't go as high with boost safely as you can with Centris or Turbos.

Just a suggestion, if you are in this for the long haul why don't you forge your bottom end first then you can safely throw 20+ psi without breaking a sweat. You can get a good forged rotating assy for $2000-2500- or get a forged shortblock for 3100.

just my .02 though. GL bro- Happy modding:beer:

Last edited:

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
For the money a turbo kit would be money better spent....don't get me wrong. KB makes a helluva product but it's also more expensive than most base to mid-level turbo kits. Plus with the turbo kits Headers and the entire front suspension is included. And with Turbos you can generally make more power/tq than you can with a SC. From what I've seen 5 psi is the recommended boost for the kb 2.1 on a stock bottom end. Centris generally speaking it's 8psi very safely and 11 if you are pushing it- you can safely go even higher if you are running a meth set-up.

Plus with positive displacement blowers you can't go as high with boost safely as you can with Centris or Turbos.

Just a suggestion, if you are in this for the long haul why don't you forge your bottom end first then you can safely throw 20+ psi without breaking a sweat. You can get a good forged rotating assy for $2000-2500- or get a forged shortblock for 3100.

just my .02 though. GL bro- Happy modding:beer:

Thanks alot man! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread