New Here - Hello ALL - 3.4 Whipple okay on stock motor?

o GET SMACKED o

o GET SMACKED o
Established Member
I know I need to upgrade the fuel system - But been hearing that the whipple 3.4 puts out to much capacity and is unsafe even at lowest boost levels - Anyone have detailed information regarding this?

Greymare

Established Member
Well I will tell you what I know and thats not much. My 3.4 Whipple came with a 3.5" upper pulley and I have a stock lower pulley. The car makes 26# with this setup. My engine is stock with bolt on parts. Never had a screw turned on it. It lives fine but (and you knew that was coming) you will need to run at least a race gas mix at that boost level if you plan to stand on the car.

I am sure you can get less boost out of it and run fine on pump gas though if you wanted to. I am sure some of the other guys will pop in and give their thoughts too.

o GET SMACKED o

o GET SMACKED o
Established Member
Well I will tell you what I know and thats not much. My 3.4 Whipple came with a 3.5" upper pulley and I have a stock lower pulley. The car makes 26# with this setup. My engine is stock with bolt on parts. Never had a screw turned on it. It lives fine but (and you knew that was coming) you will need to run at least a race gas mix at that boost level if you plan to stand on the car.

I am sure you can get less boost out of it and run fine on pump gas though if you wanted to. I am sure some of the other guys will pop in and give their thoughts too.

Hey thanks for the information - I actually get on the car more than I would say a normal driver does - I like to mess around with people on freeway if I come up next to something that I think would put up even a little fight haha... I also street race pretty regularly -Im thinking the smaller Whipple or Kenne Bell 2.2L may be a safer way to go? Is that a good assumption?

TORQJNKY

Hey thanks for the information - I actually get on the car more than I would say a normal driver does - I like to mess around with people on freeway if I come up next to something that I think would put up even a little fight haha... I also street race pretty regularly -Im thinking the smaller Whipple or Kenne Bell 2.2L may be a safer way to go? Is that a good assumption?

I think it depends on what your long term goals for the car are. I think a 3.4 Whipple is more of a race only blower or weekend warrior type blower, meanng not a daily driver type blower. A 2.2 KB or 2.3 Whipple will get you over the 600RWHP mark and is much easier to work with. You can run a 4.0 upper on a 3.4 Whipple to get your boost down but then you are not using the blower to it's full potential and IMO wasting your money. The drivability of your car with a 3.4 Whipple at a low boost level will probably not be so good either.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
You won't have the 3.4 where it can truly shine by running it <30 lbs. Not saying it won't work, but a 2.3 would probably suit your needs better.

s_x_i

Established Member
You won't have the 3.4 where it can truly shine by running it <30 lbs. Not saying it won't work, but a 2.3 would probably suit your needs better.

+1 on this. The 3.4 is overkill, I believe you'll get less power than with the 2.3 because the 3.4 is more parasitic.

It just depends what you want to do with the car. :shrug:

o GET SMACKED o

o GET SMACKED o
Established Member
What power you lookin to make?

Hey thanks to everyone for confirming my thinking - I want about 600-650 hp daily driven - I have money to do it again later - Just dont want to blow my car up by messing around in the car often or street racing... Any opinions on whipple over the kenny bell? I hear good things about both.

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
you can get 600 - 650 rwhp with a 3.4 whipple with lower boost. you would need same supporting mods if you went 2.3l or 3.4l whipple. like other guys have said the bigger displacement of the 3.4l whipple will like the high boost as well as the high octane. that it what it was designed for.

however, it can work fine with lower boost. and a tune set up for it.

but if you only want 600 - 650 and your set on whipple not kenne bell, i believe a 2.3l is the way to go for you.

o GET SMACKED o

o GET SMACKED o
Established Member
I have never really heard about the smaller whipple - 2.3L... It was either the KB 2.2L or the 3.4L to go beastly! The car is paid for and money isnt an issue - I just want a fast streetable car with AC =0)

I think the 3.4L may be more practical for track car not daily driven... I know KB is more popular then whipple so thats why Im just looking for opinions on KB 2.2L or 2.3L whipple - Thank you all for your information and insight -

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
i met a local with some aftermarket cams and headwork on stock bottom end that made 690whp on a 3.4L Whipple and support on pump. I believe the only thing he did was a set of cometic head gaskets and ARP head studs to hold the boost without lifting the head. I forget what boost he was running though.

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
2.3 whipple ftw... it is a great blower, and has the power you need for the street. If you need more just add the hit BABY!

Users who are viewing this thread