New home build issues-am I/are we overreacting??

daustin

Established Member
Back in July, we found a new home we loved, so we bought it then sold ours. They broke ground on the house in August and it is about two weeks from completion now.

The issue we are having is with the flooring. They installed the flooring (tile and carpet) about three weeks ago before a lot of other things were finished in the house.

I've been going by to check on the progress, and the carpet has shit all over it throughout the entire house and the tile has just as much shit, and it looks like a worker spilled something on one section discoloring the grout.

This is unexceptable to us. The builder has only said that it will be perfect when we move in. They also said they will be professionally cleaning the carpet and tile. I don't think new carpet and tile should need to be professionally cleaned four weeks after install.

I'm almost at the point that I won't close on the house unless they replace the flooring. This isn't a million dollar house, but it's definitely not a starter home either. I don't want to get to closing and have 3200sq ft of flooring that doesn't look new.

My wife is PISSED. That may be where some of my opinions are coming from.

Am I overreacting? Where should I go from here? Closing is scheduled for January 9.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Tx5811

Veni, vidi, vici
Established Member
Back in July, we found a new home we loved, so we bought it then sold ours. They broke ground on the house in August and it is about two weeks from completion now.

The issue we are having is with the flooring. They installed the flooring (tile and carpet) about three weeks ago before a lot of other things were finished in the house.

I've been going by to check on the progress, and the carpet has shit all over it throughout the entire house and the tile has just as much shit, and it looks like a worker spilled something on one section discoloring the grout.

This is unexceptable to us. The builder has only said that it will be perfect when we move in. They also said they will be professionally cleaning the carpet and tile. I don't think new carpet and tile should need to be professionally cleaned four weeks after install.

I'm almost at the point that I won't close on the house unless they replace the flooring. This isn't a million dollar house, but it's definitely not a starter home either. I don't want to get to closing and have 3200sq ft of flooring that doesn't look new.

My wife is PISSED. That may be where some of my opinions are coming from.

Am I overreacting? Where should I go from here? Closing is scheduled for January 9.

Yep that’s unacceptable. Have them replace that shit.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
If it doesn't clean up PERFECT then you have every right to dispute. Makes you wonder though...what else is sloppy if they are careless enough to mess up the floors. Doesn't make sense that they didn't cover/protect them.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
My wife told me years ago she'd never allow me to build a house, because she sold new construction before we were married and knows I'd have a giant heart attack in the process.

daustin

Established Member
If it doesn't clean up PERFECT then you have every right to dispute. Makes you wonder though...what else is sloppy if they are careless enough to mess up the floors. Doesn't make sense that they didn't cover/protect them.

I've been watching the build throughout the process pretty good. I went over there every day or two once they started framing. I was happy with everything up until they put the floors in so early. Our salesperson said it was a scheduling mistake and the construction manager said it was put in early due to the holidays.

daustin

Established Member
My other problem is it will be a huge pain in the ass if we push closing back. We have all utilities scheduled to be turned on, alarm and surveillance system installation, uhauls rented, movers scheduled for the big shit-all within two days of closing.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Corporate.

May I ask who? Probably different than the ones we have here. As I said, ever house needs a final cleaning. You have at least a one year warranty. I see this all the time even though I don’t build them, but indirectly have some knowledge of this.
You will need touch up for paint, cabinets, etc. I’m sure y’all will do a final walk through before closing. Blue tape is your friend.

daustin

Established Member
May I ask who? Probably different than the ones we have here. As I said, ever house needs a final cleaning. You have at least a one year warranty. I see this all the time even though I don’t build them, but indirectly have some knowledge of this.
You will need touch up for paint, cabinets, etc. I’m sure y’all will do a final walk through before closing. Blue tape is your friend.

Lennar. I don't think it's a Lennar issue though. I think it's lazy contractor issue. They could have at least covered the floor with cardboard like they did to the other four houses that will be done at the same time.

Yes, we're scheduled for the walkthrough the day before closing.

BJCobra99

Established Member
We are remodeling our entire first floor now and out contractor was smart and put in temporary carpet after the walls were completed(So we have somewhat of a home feeling.) After the cabinets were installed, the carpet is a mess. Once countertops are installed we have the nice carpet we picked out as the final install. Sorry to hear about your mess, and yes I feel ya on it getting dirty while tile gets installed.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Stanger00

Established Member
Definitely a contractor supervisor/manager issue with how they scheduled the floors so early. Our carpet was put in 10 days before we closed and our luxury vinyl floors was put in 15 days prior and tile was laid about 20 days prior. Once carpet was done contractor leads and supervision did their final walk thru and everything was touched up and cleaned before our final walkthru that we performed 1 day before closing. If they couldn't fix stuff before we took the keys a work order was opened and they took care of those problems after we closed and moved in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Lennar is big here, and are good at making thinks right in this area anyways. If I ever built another house, it would be a local known guy. The most important part, only go for pre drywall and few other inspections that builder requested. Let them build the house.

daustin

Established Member
I think I just need to relax and let them do their thing. If it's not right, it'll be fixed. I'm just a perfectionist, especially when paying $400k for something.

This was an impulse buy! Haha

daustin

Established Member
I build custom home , have over 25 years experience .
Floor coverings , including carpet and tile are last to be done .
There are ocassions that format has to be changed ,and i cover everything ..
There are times that touch up is needed , but never cleaning of new carpet or tile .

I don't know why they didn't cover ours like they did the others but it's too late now anyway.

If it doesn't look and smell new during the walkthrough, I'll be having a conversation with them.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Flooring is the last thing to be installed. I would let them finish and have everything cleaned. Sometimes it looks worse then it is. But I would make known that if it is not 100% clean then you won't accept it. Just be nice and clear about it. Soiled grout or carpet is not acceptable.

MG0h3

Established Member
Sometimes it’s best not to go and see everything. We all want everything to be perfect and that’s what you deserve for your money.

Don’t sweat it for now. You’ll check it real close before closing and if there are issues they’ll get fixed. Sounds like you already mentioned it so if you find any paint or discolored grout make them fix it or throw in some freebies.

Whoever mentioned it before is right; you don’t want to see what really goes on during the process.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
During our custom build, our floors were completely covered the entire time by cardboard and plastic.

Users who are viewing this thread