New home build issues-am I/are we overreacting??

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Lennar is an enormous production builder. They have neighborhoods all over the place here. They have the resources to make this right without bating an eye. I just don't have any experience with them to know their MO.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
When we custom built back in 06' the floors were just about the last thing done, then they were covered until the job was done.

When the issue was brought up all work should have stopped until the job was cleaned up and the floors were properly protected, remember, the builder works for you...

raustin0017

Established Member
Tile can be cleaned pretty easy...new carpet is a bigger issue. Let them finish, and hold your ground during the walk-thru. Try and relax and enjoy the experience. Good luck

_Snake_

Established Member
OP - start documenting everything now. Take pics and keep track of who you spoke with and what they told you (email and texts are preferred).

I had a new Lennar home that had a lot of opportunities. I’ll share more when I’m behind a real keyboard.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I think I just need to relax and let them do their thing. If it's not right, it'll be fixed. I'm just a perfectionist, especially when paying $400k for something.

This was an impulse buy! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
That's fine, but be absolutely certain that the builder knows that you aren't happy with how the new carpet and tile look. Let them know that you expect both to be thoroughly cleaned before the closing. Odds are that after the builder does the cleaning, you'll never know either was ever soiled.

Oh, and ask the builder to cover both the carpet and tile at this point. Why get them any dirtier than they are now. Besides, the builder should have covered them immediately after the installation, especially knowing that they were installed earlier than planned and that the construction isn't complete yet.

This is coming from someone who went through the exact same thing. Unfortunately, our carpets were never properly cleaned. We have clay soil up here and the workers and others who walked through the house prior to the closing tracked in clay and it got embedded into the carpets. Clay is a bitch to remove from carpet. I won't get into the messy details, but suffice to say that our builder ultimately refused to clean the carpet again, saying that it looked "fine". Which it didn't. Hopefully your builder will do a great job and keep you happy.

Enjoy your new home. I hope you'll both be very happy with it.

daustin

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. I do have to say that Lennar has been good to us throughout the entire process aside from this. They know where we stand on what's going on and they assured me it will be right at closing.

I've been in constant contact with the construction manager and sales person. That coupled with the fact that my best friend's wife is a regional/division president with Lennar. Although that last fact hampered us in some ways in that questions that should have been answered at the construction manager or sales level we're met with "oh, you better ask [friend's wife]."

I'm just gonna let it be for now. They know how I feel.

Last edited:

Four Door SVT

Established Member
My other problem is it will be a huge pain in the ass if we push closing back. We have all utilities scheduled to be turned on, alarm and surveillance system installation, uhauls rented, movers scheduled for the big shit-all within two days of closing.

Then they better get their asses moving, they need you to close to pay their subs

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
But you really need to. You can catch mistakes and get them corrected faster. Mistakes always happen.

This.

I work swing shift so I was able to walk through the job site a lot while my house was being built. I wasn't standing over their shoulder, but they knew I was watching. I also made it known that I worked building houses for a few years, so they knew I had some sort of credibility.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
Lennar. I don't think it's a Lennar issue though. I think it's lazy contractor issue. They could have at least covered the floor with cardboard like they did to the other four houses that will be done at the same time.

Yes, we're scheduled for the walkthrough the day before closing.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I build custom home , have over 25 years experience .
Floor coverings , including carpet and tile are last to be done .
There are ocassions that format has to be changed ,and i cover everything ..
There are times that touch up is needed , but never cleaning of new carpet or tile .

During our custom build, our floors were completely covered the entire time by cardboard and plastic.

Pretty much all this. Carpets should have been covered with plastic and the vinyl floor with paper... at a minimum. And they should cover the floors now to prevent further damage and soiling.

On the other hand, it could be worse. I had to re-skimcoat my entire 4000 sq ft house (every wall and ceiling surface) because the builder used the cheapest "all-in-one" paint he could find, no surface prep, no actual primer, no PVA primer, etc. Well, the paint was coming off the walls in sheets, on average, 12" x 36" big. I guess at least my drywall crew covered the floors...

Blown 89

Established Member
The only thing I'd worry about is the carpet. Stained carpet is never truly clean again IMO. I've seen carpet installed early in the process but they've always covered it so traffic isn't directly on the fibers.

nxhappy

Established Member
Lennar. I don't think it's a Lennar issue though. I think it's lazy contractor issue. They could have at least covered the floor with cardboard like they did to the other four houses that will be done at the same time.

Yes, we're scheduled for the walkthrough the day before closing.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I have a Lennar home. ****ing love it. You would be amazed at how much shit they do in 2 weeks. Trust me when you move in, it will be damn close to perfect. If there is ANYTHING you don't like, they will fix it FAST. Just relax !!

daustin

Established Member
I have a Lennar home. ****ing love it. You would be amazed at how much shit they do in 2 weeks. Trust me when you move in, it will be damn close to perfect. If there is ANYTHING you don't like, they will fix it FAST. Just relax !!

We've owned a Lennar home for the past ten years and we've loved that house as well. I'm also exited to be getting their new home automation/WiFi certified home where they install wireless access points on the ceilings of every floor, Ring Elite doorbell, home automation by Alexa and much more. At a consumer price level, the package is legitimately about $10k worth of equipment/install labor, as I personally priced it out as if I were going to buy everything myself. They give you a lot for the money with the whole "Everything's Included." I just wish the upgraded stainless steel appliances we got were better optioned models. They seem like the base models of the appliances done in SS.

They've also been awesome in letting me go in and do work while in framing (surveillance network/surround sound wiring) and adding things for me, like six more outlets in the garage, lights where lights didn't come, and multiple other outlets in the interior in places they didn't come.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Post some photos when you move in. These Lennar homes seem to be well optioned and high quality.

Users who are viewing this thread