New Inside Info

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
03SoCalCobra said:
Well put. I paid MSRP as the first week the 03's hit the street. Just hook up with one of those online car buying sites, KBB i think, and sent an offer out- "Will pay MSRP for 2003 cobra, excellent credit, good down, easy sale.". Within 30 minutes I had a dealer 5 minutes away with a no-contingency offer for a showroom car at MSRP. The only thing I asked for was the poster hanging by the car :)

03SoCal,
Could you let me know how you did this.. Is there a "want to buy" section on KBB where you can list things that you are looking for? Or did you list in the "for sale" section that you were looking for an 03 @ MSRP..

I rememmber C&C Ford in Willowgrove PA, was asking $10,000 over MSRP on the 03's, for months after they were first introduced.. :fm:

Im game to try anything at this point..

Ahpun

Established Member
Just a thought... would buyer clubs have access to the Shelbys? AAA for example advertise that they will negotiate with dealers for you to get you a fair price. It would be worth the $50 a year membership if they could.

I do know someone who used a buyers club, not sure which one, to have a Cobra delivered to Hawaii, getting around the insane markups the dealers are able to get there.

drhyed

Established Member
But GM, and import companys have come out with tons of poular and hot cars in the past, and there is never as much political Bullcrap and dealer markups to contend with as Ford Dealers dump on the public..

Yea except for honda and the s2000, suby and my wrx sti, and the mitsu evo, mazda rx-8 and mazdaspeed miata and protoge, nissian 350z, caddy cts-v and thoose were only the cars I went to dealers to check out and consider buying with in a month or two of there release. All the dealers wanted msrp + several thousand. Its not just ford...

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Purvis said:
I disagree..
I wish Ford would do away with dealerships all together. Why do we need them? I would gladly drive out to Dearborn to pick out a car and drive home with it.. What do the dealers actually do besides pass a car on to the public? Why do I truly need a "dealer"? They are going to make all this money because of What? Why do we put up with this crap?

You think Ford thinks any different? It's dealer franchise laws in every state that keep Ford from selling directly to you. If they had any chance of remotely cutting into the ridiculously profitable pie that dealerships enjoy, they would...the beef is with NADA and it's lobby.

Ever wonder why even when you "build" a car on a manufacturer website they make you input your zip to "recommend" a nearby dealer?

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
COBRA CRUIZER said:
NEWS FLASH: I've worked @ Ford owned dealers before,and guess what? Prices remained the same. ;-)

I wasn't saying the price of cars would drop, I was just saying they wish they could get get a slice of all that money dealers are making.

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
Makes me glad i'm buying an 04' cobra for 27k. I knew this "retro" BS would do nothing but jack up prices for the enthusiasts while the people going through a midlife crisis that have money are the real ones being marketed to not the peole that have owned a Ford all their lives.

jimwood

Established Member
Which ever side of the argument on, its pretty cool that Ford is building something that people are willing to pay over MSRP for, and is relatively limited in production. But really, if you are on this website, chances are you can find a deal on a new Shelby somewhere. Your just going to hunt down the weakest market or the dealer who wants to move the car. I will say your not going to find that dealer in Sacramento. I about shit myself with laughter when I saw a used Lightening Truck with 20k miles with an asking price of 38k. Thats more than it cost new, if I'm not mistaken.

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
DBK said:
You think Ford thinks any different? It's dealer franchise laws in every state that keep Ford from selling directly to you. If they had any chance of remotely cutting into the ridiculously profitable pie that dealerships enjoy, they would...the beef is with NADA and it's lobby.

Ever wonder why even when you "build" a car on a manufacturer website they make you input your zip to "recommend" a nearby dealer?

Good points. Well put.

Trublu01

Established Member
Great news, if all of you are now not buying, there's more available. I could really careless about the Shelby name on the car, or the stripes for that matter. I'll just have them peel them off at the dealership, besides the car is not a true Shelby anyway.

R1Lello

Established Member
bigdog93lx said:
Makes me glad i'm buying an 04' cobra for 27k. I knew this "retro" BS would do nothing but jack up prices for the enthusiasts while the people going through a midlife crisis that have money are the real ones being marketed to not the peole that have owned a Ford all their lives.

:dw: apples to oranges buddy.........apples to oranges

R1Lello

Established Member
Trublu01 said:
Great news, if all of you are now not buying, there's more available. I could really careless about the Shelby name on the car, or the stripes for that matter. I'll just have them peel them off at the dealership, besides the car is not a true Shelby anyway.

:bored: here we go again............and why not?? Fill us in please

Paleoc

Established Member
Technically neither were 69-70 GT350/500's "true Shelby's" as they were made by Ford not remanufactored by Shelby. But you won't find me arm extended, index finger pointing downward, nose pointing up in the air'..."Well that's not a TRUE Shelby."

EaterofWorlds

Established Member
Paleoc said:
Technically neither were 69-70 GT350/500's "true Shelby's" as they were made by Ford not remanufactored by Shelby. But you won't find me arm extended, index finger pointing downward, nose pointing up in the air'..."Well that's not a TRUE Shelby."

I agree completely. I don't understand why other Ford owners have to pick apart the new Shelby and try to make everyone who wants to purchase one feel like shit. Hell, there are ENOUGH people who hate Ford. :bash:

And what's with this "mid-life crisis" BS?? I'm 22 and I own an '05 and I will (hopefully) be purchasing an '07. And no, Mommy and Daddy don't pay my bills, so don't start in with that spoiled brat crap. I worked very hard as a seasonal (Fright Fest) Six Flags Great Adventure stuntman and daytrader to get where I am.

C'mon man, don't PMS all over the board because you've got an XX - '04 and missed out on or decided against a redesigned platform and now you're regretting it. I'm getting so tired of those posts. There are many people who stayed away from Ford because of the blander styling of the '90s and '00 - '04 Mustangs/Cobras, but you don't see many people on this board critisizing you for your styling choice. Why do you have knock people who like the retro styling? Yeah, so dealers are gouging - that's because it's a HOT CAR. Not because people who are having a mid-life crisis are buying them. That's a ridiculous statement. I know plenty of younger guys like myself who love the new Mustang. Anywhere I go I get questions/compliments from people of all ages and walks of life. Anytime you have a hot car and limited demand, it's going to drive prices up, no matter what the car looks like.

Users who are viewing this thread