New intake MF vs. Stock

SVTFsOnIcBlUe

C:\Socuments and Dettings
Established Member
Hello all. I am brand new to fords, SVT and Focus's. LOL. I just got my Sonic Blue 02, 2 days ago. I have a friend who has had an 04 Cobra since new and I believe he regularly visits this forum ( ahem, the cobra side of it). Anyway, The car had about 31,000 Miles on it and I got it for around 10k. It is bone stock and I had already considered putting a new intake on it. I was curious though if it would even be worthwhile to do so. I had noticed that with stock it has a particularly complex design already, where it has 2 places to draw in air. My understanding from reading things on this forum is that the small intake is for when you are at lower RPMs and that when you get up higher the bigger intake is more in use. I'm not certain that thats how it works but if it does work like that is there really much benefit from putting on a new intake manifold and filter? I appreciate all well thought out comments on this issue and thank you guys in advance.

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
I think it is acctually the other way around. The long runners at low rpms induce higher torque, when as the short runners alow air to rush in at higher rpms.

Daeron

Established Member
Halftime is correct. But the air still comes through the airbox, MAF, and TB in all instances. The only issues with the stock intake manifold are the DSI clip, and the DSI motor (the nipple on the clip likes to break off, and the motor likes to either die, or go wacky and keep opening and closing very fast, even at idle).

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
You are just talking about the airbox assembly correct?

A short ram or cold air intake will help greatly, I would also recommend a stage 2 ported throttle body which really wakes the car up.

Page through SVTF pages here and you will find a thread about ported throttle bodies.

SVTFsOnIcBlUe

Established Member
Daeron said:
Halftime is correct. But the air still comes through the airbox, MAF, and TB in all instances. The only issues with the stock intake manifold are the DSI clip, and the DSI motor (the nipple on the clip likes to break off, and the motor likes to either die, or go wacky and keep opening and closing very fast, even at idle).

So if you were to put in a different intake manifold you would essential remove all of that stuff, (the DSI clip and DSI Motor)? Is that particularly difficult? There must be some programming in the cars computer that would control that DSI motor right? If so wouldn't you have to reprogram it? Thanx again for your guys replies.

Anaxagoras1986

Established Member
Daeron said:

I wonder if mine is going wacky or if it is just the bs factory tune. I notice a huge surge in power right at 3k.

2004Serpent

Established Member
Daeron said:
If he was, he wouldn't have put MF in the topic :)
He did say he was new to the whole game im pretty sure hes talking about air intake cause the stock airbox has two openings like he mentioned. + im the cobra guy he was talking about. :)

Daeron

Established Member
Actually, it has 3 openings, but air is brought in mainly through one (the other 2 are for a resonator and for the breather tube, and so their air inlet capabilities are negligible). Everything he was talking was for the manifold, which has 2 runners, long and short (switches to short at 6k rpm unless you have an updated flash or have an 04, then it's 5k).

As for getting rid of that manifold, only reason you should is if you are putting on an updated factory part (with the newer clip) or putting in an SC/turbo.

If you are just looking for a new intake, there are many on the market, just make sure it is for the SVT (throttle body on a non-SVT is on the top of the intake, whereas the SVT's is on the driver's side). There's quite a few threads on many boards on pros, cons, and preferences on which specific brand is better than the other. Head on over to focusfanatics.com and do a search (register while you are there, as it is a great site for all things Focus).

SVTFsOnIcBlUe

Established Member
Daeron said:
As for getting rid of that manifold, only reason you should is if you are putting on an updated factory part (with the newer clip) or putting in an SC/turbo.

If you are just looking for a new intake, there are many on the market, just make sure it is for the SVT (throttle body on a non-SVT is on the top of the intake, whereas the SVT's is on the driver's side). There's quite a few threads on many boards on pros, cons, and preferences on which specific brand is better than the other. Head on over to focusfanatics.com and do a search (register while you are there, as it is a great site for all things Focus).

Thx for the info Daeron Ill check out that site. Also I have noticed my car periodically does that shutter thing when its cold outside, I see and feel the RPMs going up and down up and down when at Idle but it never stalls. I had read somewhere that this is caused by a bad tune at that factory and that Ford has a new tune for it. IS all that true? If Im under warrenty still should they take care of that for free? :)

UTlapso

Pitch Black 03
Established Member
modify air box

good luck with your question, I asked the same thing about 2 months ago. What I asked was since the svt has large ram air and a snorkle would it be better to modify the airbox below the filter. The intake is pretty beefy, it just is restricted below the filter to a tiny 2inch hole.

Daeron

Established Member
The stutter thing is pretty common, especially when it is cold. Ford's solution is to keep the rpms above 2k for a minute while the car warms up (it does this automagically in the tune). Aftermarket tune will eliminiate that hanging rev deal, but the stutter still happens when it is cold (I've even had mine stall because of it). It's one of those quirks you just have to get used to.

That being said, I would still suggest getting a tune from someone aftermarket. You'll get more power down low, where our car is lacking, and better gas mileage to boot :)

You can go to Ford and get the latest flash, but you are probably out of warrenty, so it'll cost you 50 or 75 bucks to get it. Put that money towards an aftermarket tune, you'll be MUCH happier.

SVTFsOnIcBlUe

Established Member
Thx again Daeron. I do still have the warrenty. Guy I bought the car from had gotten the 5year/75000 MILE warrenty and I had it transfered to me. But if you say a new tune (after market) will give better power and better gas Mileage than that sounds like a great thing to do. Still being very new to the scene, where would I go to get such a tune and about how much would it cost roughly?

Daeron

Established Member
www.hypillauto.com, it's about 380 for the Xcal2 with 6 months of free updates...the Xcal2 is nice in that it can datalog right on the device, check and clear CEL codes, and can also act as a passthru and you can datalog on your laptop...it is a flasher (no chips for our cars, which has it's own blessings...no worrying about a chip wiggling its way loose), so you don't need to do anything special, just plug it in, tell it the tune to upload, and off it goes.

Wayne is a great guy with very good customer service and has worked wonders on the SVTF (he has one himself, so he's always tinkering). You'll be nothing but pleased with his products and services :)

Users who are viewing this thread