New Knocking noise under car ???

Pauliejr

Established Member
This just presented itself within the last day or so.

When Driving the car and going over certain bumps, or at certain speeds if I sway left to right (imagine warming up tires motion in F1)

It appears I am getting a knocking noise under the car. Not an engine knock but a physical knock as if an exhaust pipe was hitting the body.

The odd thing is when in the drivers seat, it appears to be coming from in the “trans tunnel”

I may be wrong but it seems like I can hear it right to the left of the radio under the dash.

any ideas or things to look at here? I’m dumbfounded.

My location may be wrong but that’s what it seems like. It MAY happen more when the passenger side goes over a bump but I have to drive it again to see.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Can you get a video? There was another member that had a similar issue

Pauliejr

Established Member
I need to post a video but it is not a lifter or motor noise like that.

it is a physical noise like something is hitting something not a “tick”

very similar to a x/pipe hitting a floor board.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Hard to judge sounds over a forum post, and your location of the sound, might not match with my comment, but that noise sounds just like a bad front sway bar end link... easy to check too.

With the car parked and the wheel turned, grab ahold of the sway bar end link, and feel for any free play, movement, or sound.

Pauliejr

Established Member
Hard to judge sounds over a forum post, and your location of the sound, might not match with my comment, but that noise sounds just like a bad front sway bar end link... easy to check too.

With the car parked and the wheel turned, grab ahold of the sway bar end link, and feel for any free play, movement, or sound.

So there is no visible noise turning wheel all the way and tanking on sway bar and end link. As far as play, I can turn the end link side to side (rotating on its joints) with ease. I’m assuming this is normal while flat ?

FYI I have bmr handling spring all around on SVT bilsteins. No other front end mods of their than stop tech rotors.

Users who are viewing this thread