New lightweight rotating assembly inside!!

mnypit

Established Member
Well, there is no question I blew it up hard. Surprised I was able to drive the car home after viewing the damage. For the uninformed, my car: 2001 Cobra with a P-1SC pumping 10lbs and some other goodies Tune previous to this damage was 476RWHP. Have no fear, Hensler Racing is doing a top notch job with a rebuild. Hope to back on the road in a few weeks time (I think we will go a little more conservative with the next tune though!)

Enjoy (or cringe)............

Cobra on a diet

One damaged liner

Another damaged liner

Yes, its a broken liner

Fused piston parts on head

I think this piston is salvagable!

Just a flesh wound

Nothing JB Weld wont fix

Two for the price of one

Steve

OutlawVenom

Established Member
Damn, you did it up good. Do you know how aggresive your last tune was ? A/F , timing ? I dont want to build the motor until winter, but want to play with the blower for the summer.
Good luck with the forged motor. Do you plan on turning the wick up with the new motor ?
laters,
Brad

mnypit

Established Member
Did up REAL good if you ask me! Latest graph I have shows A/F approx 11.8. Cant tell you what the timing was at.

Yes, I plan on upping the boost.............a little.

Steve

raider187

Ne Desit Virtus
Established Member
Originally posted by mnypit
Did up REAL good if you ask me! Latest graph I have shows A/F approx 11.8. Cant tell you what the timing was at.

Yes, I plan on upping the boost.............a little.

Steve

Fire in da hole, Fire in da hole... :burn:

11.8 is pretty safe in my book. I'm still real bummed that this happend Steve, but your totally taking it like a man! She will be back together soon, better than before... See ya at Daves!

mnypit

Established Member
Originally posted by raider187
Fire in da hole, Fire in da hole... :burn:

11.8 is pretty safe in my book.

Ya, I think that too. Who knows what happened. Fuel pump could have locked up, fuel boiled in the rails or injectors, pump drained the bucket dry, any number of possibilities. I personally dont think the tune was "too" aggressive.

Originally posted by raider187
I'm still real bummed that this happend Steve, but your totally taking it like a man! She will be back together soon, better than before... See ya at Daves!

I am bummed as well (more like my bank accoutn is bummed). All you can do is say, oh well, and start rebuilding. I cant wait to get her back!

Steve

akatherazor4

If you see this tag, Run!
Established Member
Holy cow terds Stevo! Man you really tanked those internals hard bro. Detonation looks like it reared it's ugly head. I would like to stick by my bad tank of gas theory. but the looks of those pistons tell a different story. What brand of fuel pump were you running man?

Hey any prices on the total rebuild yet? I'm in the process of getting my block ready for the worst. Any help you can give is appreciated.

Razor.:beer:

mnypit

Established Member
Originally posted by akatherazor4
What brand of fuel pump were you running man?

Procharger supplied Walbro 342. Still dont know what really happened to cause all of this damage. But to be honest, I am not worried as basically the entire fuel system is getting changed during the rebuild, so I am eliminating that as being part of the cause. Also, I am looking at an MSD ignition (the new Stacker 8) box they have to help control rev limit functions.

Originally posted by akatherazor4
Hey any prices on the total rebuild yet? I'm in the process of getting my block ready for the worst. Any help you can give is appreciated.

Still not done yet, yesterday I found out that a couple of the valves are messed up. If the seats are OK then only about $400 extra, if the seats are messed up, then I'll have to add thousands more (unless I want to trake down used heads). Right now I am looking at between $5k and $6k. That is R&R labor, machine work, parts, fluids, assembly. Basically broken to fixed and running. Let me know what you want in detail and I will fill you in on what I have learned druing this.

When she's all done, you can take me out for a beer!

Steve

mnypit

Established Member
Originally posted by NastyWS6
Wow, how did you manage that one ?

Very carefully. It takes skill, finess, attention to detail, practice, and born-in ability to do what I did.:-D

Steve

stradt03

Established Member
WOW! What rpm were you at when that thing let go? Did you know right away when it let go? did it make any noises?

UGH makes my gut wrench, thank god I'm picking up my car with the new motor today.

Jason

mnypit

Established Member
Took it to 7k rpm. No noises. Trapped at 118. Knew something was wrong as soon as I pulled off the track.

Oh well..................

Steve

akatherazor4

If you see this tag, Run!
Established Member
Originally posted by mnypit
Procharger supplied Walbro 342. Still dont know what really happened to cause all of this damage. But to be honest, I am not worried as basically the entire fuel system is getting changed during the rebuild, so I am eliminating that as being part of the cause. Also, I am looking at an MSD ignition (the new Stacker 8) box they have to help control rev limit functions.

Still not done yet, yesterday I found out that a couple of the valves are messed up. If the seats are OK then only about $400 extra, if the seats are messed up, then I'll have to add thousands more (unless I want to trake down used heads). Right now I am looking at between $5k and $6k. That is R&R labor, machine work, parts, fluids, assembly. Basically broken to fixed and running. Let me know what you want in detail and I will fill you in on what I have learned druing this.

When she's all done, you can take me out for a beer!

Steve

Thanks man. I was just looking at what the total cost would be. Make sure to keep us updated on your progress man.

Users who are viewing this thread