New member 01 Coyote swapped Cobra

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
IRS is completely new to me. What would need to be done to handle 600 whp?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

If it has not been done yet you want to at least upgrade to the 03-04 cobra half shafts with the 03-04 cobra 3rd member or possible eaton posi. You also want to upgrade to the ford racing 03-04 cobra diff cover much stronger and helps from breaking apart. If there is any part of the full tilt boggie kit not on the irs already have that competed. That will pretty much hold your power without issues unless your gonna be hard core drag racing at the track.

shurur

Established Member
Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/the-irs-tech-article.213384/

This is still worth a read to start with...

then this
http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/mystery_of_irs.htm

IMO lowering the car and stiffening the chassis, suspension and IRS are more important than the half shafts...but when you go to a lower gear and Torque sensing diffy, you might as well upgrade the shafts to 31 spline then..If you have the coin..
You need to assess what has been done thus far in that regard.
The 01's already have 31 spline diffs. Swapping to 03/04 half shafts are a pop and swap deal.

If it doesn't have the pinion brace that came on the 03/04 IRS I highly suggest adding one.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

01performanceredvertsnake

Established Member
The 01's already have 31 spline diffs. Swapping to 03/04 half shafts are a pop and swap deal.

I was about to say that. The 01’s and 03-04 are the same 31 spline units except the 01’s neck down at the end so that shaft diameter is smaller than the 03-04.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01performanceredvertsnake

Established Member

I was about to say that. The 01’s and 03-04 are the same 31 spline units except the 01’s neck down at the end so that shaft diameter is smaller than the 03-04.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Becareful with it. They cost alot more when they break. You plan to upgrade
I have 4 spare axles in the box. Nope don't plan to upgrade. Still on the oem clutch/flywheel that the car was born was as well as the 3.27's. It has 75K miles with about 20K on the motor.
I have a new clutch & flywheel sitting in my closest but it's still not slipping so...

DarkRattle

Established Member
I have 4 spare axles in the box. Nope don't plan to upgrade. Still on the oem clutch/flywheel that the car was born was as well as the 3.27's. It has 75K miles with about 20K on the motor.
I have a new clutch & flywheel sitting in my closest but it's still not slipping so...
131k miles in, probably 1000+ launches, my stock clutch still aint slipping, god damn tank .

shurur

Established Member

If it doesn't have the pinion brace that came on the 03/04 IRS I highly suggest adding one.

I hear that..but still say the half shafts are especially his lowest priority in terms of getting the IRS strengthened and the suspension sorted out.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I hear that..but still say the half shafts are especially his lowest priority in terms of getting the IRS strengthened and the suspension sorted out.
Depends on the tires being used IMO. I had the brace, diff bushings, and cradle bushings. I was running drag radials and grenaded a stock half shaft getting on the freeway. I was coming around a sweeper and as it straighted out I laid into it and when I shifted into second it killed half shaft. The inner CV had marks where the bearings beat on the cage.

Although to be totally honest I was probably making about double his power. But this was in a "low stress" point. It didn't spin and hook. It didn't hop. It just went boom.

shurur

Established Member
Depends on the tires being used IMO. I had the brace, diff bushings, and cradle bushings. I was running drag radials and grenaded a stock half shaft getting on the freeway. I was coming around a sweeper and as it straighted out I laid into it and when I shifted into second it killed half shaft. The inner CV had marks where the bearings beat on the cage.

Although to be totally honest I was probably making about double his power. But this was in a "low stress" point. It didn't spin and hook. It didn't hop. It just went boom.

ok..did you have the '99 28 spline or the '01 31 spline?....EDIT[OK see you had the '01 31 spline]

Now I'm wondering what else may have been modded on the OP's IRS already.

Any dyno guesses from anyone yet??

shurur

Established Member
My dyno guess: 429 HP (365 RWHP)

I'm using his 0-60 time to help my guess....or not...

Coyote-SVT

Established Member
I'll have to look to see what all was done to the IRS. Pretty sure everything as far as bushings was replaced. Cross axis joints and all.
I was guessing 370whp on the low side to 390whp on the high side. After reading a little more I don't think it's doing no 390whp maybe 380 tops if I'm lucky? Car was data logged several times for the 93 octane tune so I'm guessing they squeezed what they could from it. First mod will prob be gears either 3.73s or 4.10s. Might go to a taller rear tire in which case I'd prob go with 4.10s

shurur

Established Member
I'll have to look to see what all was done to the IRS. Pretty sure everything as far as bushings was replaced. Cross axis joints and all.
I was guessing 370whp on the low side to 390whp on the high side. After reading a little more I don't think it's doing no 390whp maybe 380 tops if I'm lucky? Car was data logged several times for the 93 octane tune so I'm guessing they squeezed what they could from it. First mod will prob be gears either 3.73s or 4.10s. Might go to a taller rear tire in which case I'd prob go with 4.10s

The longtubes may help quite a bit..

I thought that the IRS would be done already..considering all the other things that have been done..and the gears give you a chance to upgrade the half shafts then, consider a torque sensing diffy..I have the Detroit Truetrac...but better ones like Wavetrack? and Torsen are out there now...hell you may already have one in there now..but i suspect not because you still have the 3.27.

Color me green with envy...

01yellercobra

Established Member
FWIW a buddy of mine had a 2011 and with a canned tune, C&L intake, and Flowmasters it laid down 360ish to the tire. That was through the 6R80. I'm 90% sure he had the stock mid pipe as well. So with good headers and real tune I can see 370-380 being easily attained.

Coyote-SVT

Established Member
FWIW a buddy of mine had a 2011 and with a canned tune, C&L intake, and Flowmasters it laid down 360ish to the tire. That was through the 6R80. I'm 90% sure he had the stock mid pipe as well. So with good headers and real tune I can see 370-380 being easily attained.

Was it a mustang? Because I have the f150 engine which has different intake cams and 10.5 compression ratio. If my car had the Mustang Coyote motor I would be guessing around 390 to 405 RWHP

Users who are viewing this thread