New member here/supercharger ?'s

Cobra281

Established Member
Hey whats up guys I am new to this board and just wanted to say whats up to everyone. Anyways here is my situation, I am planning on supercharging my cobra soon, and I have already decided to go with procharger so that is out of the way. How difficult is it going to be to install, I really don't want to fork out another $1000 or so to have it installed. Is there any special tools that I am going to need or anything I should know about before installation. :beer: :D

BRUTEL 1

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra281
Hey whats up guys I am new to this board and just wanted to say whats up to everyone. Anyways here is my situation, I am planning on supercharging my cobra soon, and I have already decided to go with procharger so that is out of the way. How difficult is it going to be to install, I really don't want to fork out another $1000 or so to have it installed. Is there any special tools that I am going to need or anything I should know about before installation. :beer: :D
WHAT MADE YOU CHOOSE THE PRO-CHARGER? I HAVE A VORTECH S-TRIM AND ITS GREAT.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Superchargers aren't difficult to install at all especially if you have the self-contained Procharger. But I do advise using a lift it will make it that much easier. If you can't get your hands on a lift then definately have a friend help you and a nice tall and safe set of ramps or jackstands.

S.C.L.A.98COBRA

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra281

I have a 98 Cobra also, before you decide to supercharger the Cobra you should think about how much boost your going to run. I was running about 8 lbs and now I have to replace the engine because I didn't have all the internal parts like forged pistons and now I have to spend more. If your looking to run a lot of boost in the future hold off on the supercharger and build up the engine so it can handle the boost/hp.

Just my opinion because I wish I had started within, but the only upside is that I'm getting a new engine with everything needed to handle a lot of boost.

Venom09

Established Member
Re: Re: New member here/supercharger ?'s

Originally posted by S.C.L.A.98COBRA
I have a 98 Cobra also, before you decide to supercharger the Cobra you should think about how much boost your going to run. I was running about 8 lbs and now I have to replace the engine because I didn't have all the internal parts like forged pistons and now I have to spend more. If your looking to run a lot of boost in the future hold off on the supercharger and build up the engine so it can handle the boost/hp.

Just my opinion because I wish I had started within, but the only upside is that I'm getting a new engine with everything needed to handle a lot of boost.

dang i wasnt aware, that the motor could hold no more than 8lbs of boost with stock internals

Cobra281

Established Member
Has anyone had any problems with running procharger's p-1SC @10psi with stock internals?......procharger claims that everything that comes with the kit should should be fine on a stock engine

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Re: Re: Re: New member here/supercharger ?'s

Originally posted by Venom09
dang i wasnt aware, that the motor could hold no more than 8lbs of boost with stock internals

The engine can hold up to about 12 PSI on stock internals. However, the amount of wear is hugely increased. Eventually you will probably lose a ring landing. If you lose a piston it's due to an improper tune.

98 Yeller' SVT

Perpetual bottle filler
Established Member
Re: Re: Re: New member here/supercharger ?'s

Originally posted by Venom09

It is pretty much common knowledge that the 96-98 4 valves can hold 6-8# of safe boost all day long. The key is tuning, tuning, tuning! A custom Dynotune/chip burn is the BEST insurance against detonation. The problems arise when guys try and do it themselves that don't have the experience needed.

Peter

Established Member
Cobra281- Welcome! I also run a Vortech with 12LBS
of boost, but the tune must be conservative. Keep
an A/F ratio under 11:1. Pro-Charger is good too!

Pete

:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread