New Mystichrome 17k Miles slight fuel smell (fresh oil 500 miles or so)

Marines691

Established Member
I bought a new MC, 17k miles. I am reading 80psi on my fuel pressure gauge. It's a stock fuel system of sorts. 60lb Siemens Injectors/harnesses. As well as kenne bell boost a pump. Only issue is with the readout Guage being 80-85psi I'm concerned maybe the slight fuel smell I'm getting in oil could be a problem. Some people say there's always a slight fuel smell to their engine oil from blowby or whatever. What should I be concerned about or looking for?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Might have been a good idea to have had the old oil analyzed, just for peace of mind.

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
1645373347439.gif

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Just lightly wipe it where you have a coating of oil on the dipstick. Then smell the thin oil on the stick. If you smell gas, I'd replace the FRPS (Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor).

Here is some additional info on FRPS issues in my Terminator FAQs.

I still recommend that you have the oil analyzed if it comes to that.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Every vehicle ive owned or changed the oil on smells, to a degree, like fuel. I think it depends on the individual if they can smell it or not. I did an oil analysis a few years ago, it was zero for fuel contamination. I'm not concerned.

If your gauge is reading 80psi, but the car runs ok, then something with the gauge might be messed up. I would start by cross checking it with a different one.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Do you have anyway of datalogging? I'd check the pressure drop across the injectors. The pressure shouldn't stay at 80psi at all times. It should move around depending on how far into the throttle you are.

Marines691

Established Member
So we compression checked everything now, the worst was around 165 I believe but most were in the 175-180 range. So that isnt a concern. Secondly we found out the PSI gauge for the fuel was actually broken.... So everything ended up being just fine. Still having a loss of power when I get into boost. But it has a tuning appointment soon and we will see what they say there. Previous owner said it needed tune bad, and I think I agree.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Glad to hear that you're not having a major issues. Let us know how the new tune appointment goes.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice! Does it need a lot of touch-up? I know when I sold it originally my paint seemed to be a lot better than the paint on most of the other '03 Cobras I had seen. That DSG is going to POP after the correction, touch-up and ceramic coating. Post a photo after that's done if you can.

Users who are viewing this thread