NEW Nitto NT555R2 drag radials! New options

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
My opinion, MT SS are terrible for street tires.
If you have 18x10.5 AFS, a 315/35/18 would be my choice.
I run ET Rs on my 1000rwhp GT500 and they work as the only real option at that level.
For you guys under 800rwhp, you should be able to make streetable DRs work.
-J

jsquared_25

Established Member
Premium Member
Looking around I can't seem to find them for sale anywhere. Does anyone know when they become available?

Sent from my SM-G935V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I actually ordered a set from discount tire last Thursday and got them mounted yesterday. First gear spins a little bit, but dead hook slamming into second gear. My car is a 12 with a 2.9 whipple, mt-82 with 3.73’s, about 650hp to the tires. I went with 315/35/20 on 11” wide rear wheels, so far I’m happy with them.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
I actually ordered a set from discount tire last Thursday and got them mounted yesterday. First gear spins a little bit, but dead hook slamming into second gear. My car is a 12 with a 2.9 whipple, mt-82 with 3.73’s, about 650hp to the tires. I went with 315/35/20 on 11” wide rear wheels, so far I’m happy with them.

Cool, I called discount tire and ordered some 305 35 19. I'm making the same power with vmp 2.3, 3:31 mt82. Hopefully have similar results as you.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
My opinion, MT SS are terrible for street tires.
If you have 18x10.5 AFS, a 315/35/18 would be my choice.
I run ET Rs on my 1000rwhp GT500 and they work as the only real option at that level.
For you guys under 800rwhp, you should be able to make streetable DRs work.
-J

If you're in that 700-800 range (I also have some aggressive gearing still at the moment) any reason you wouldn't go with the ET R for street and/or strip shenanigans? Id probably run the 888Rs for the most part but need a more serious tire apparently

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
If you're in that 700-800 range (I also have some aggressive gearing still at the moment) any reason you wouldn't go with the ET R for street and/or strip shenanigans? Id probably run the 888Rs for the most part but need a more serious tire apparently

No, the best tire is the MT ET R. If you want traction nothing beats it for a DOT tire. I highly recommend this tire.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
No, the best tire is the MT ET R. If you want traction nothing beats it for a DOT tire. I highly recommend this tire.
For traction yes, it’s always the MT.
But for overall package, like combination of traction, ride quality/NVH, handling and wear the MT is not the best choice.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
What size wheel and tire do you run?
-J

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
What size wheel and tire do you run?
-J

Im open to suggestion, just running 17x10.5 right now with 315s (one pair R888Rs the other has like 8 year old ET Streets I need to get rid of). The car still has 4.10s from lower power goal days so was looking into a taller tire as well to help a little for now. I know I can fit a 15x8 no problem, if I get MM's rear brake line kit I can get some 15x10s back there as well.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
So a 17x10.5 usually means 315/35/17?
That’s such a short tire with limited sidewall you’ll have difficulty with 500hp.
I’d have to look at some options but I think 295/40/17 was available.
For the track or serious street a 15x10 with a 325/50/15 would be awesome. A 275/60 will technically fit a 15x8 but bulges badly.
To me it’s all about being honest on how you want to use the car then looking at the wheel size and power level.
-J

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
So a 17x10.5 usually means 315/35/17?
That’s such a short tire with limited sidewall you’ll have difficulty with 500hp.
I’d have to look at some options but I think 295/40/17 was available.
For the track or serious street a 15x10 with a 325/50/15 would be awesome. A 275/60 will technically fit a 15x8 but bulges badly.
To me it’s all about being honest on how you want to use the car then looking at the wheel size and power level.
-J

appreciate the input, the 17" wheel just isn't enough sidewall IMHO, ya I believe thats the correct size (couldnt remember if it was 30 or 35 sidewall when making the post). I'd like to have a tire that at least gives me a fighting chance seeing how it doesnt have a dedicated drag suspension and the car is going to be limited by the loose nut behind the wheel.

01yellercobra

Established Member
appreciate the input, the 17" wheel just isn't enough sidewall IMHO, ya I believe thats the correct size (couldnt remember if it was 30 or 35 sidewall when making the post). I'd like to have a tire that at least gives me a fighting chance seeing how it doesnt have a dedicated drag suspension and the car is going to be limited by the loose nut behind the wheel.
For the 17" rim its 315/35/17. I don't think you'll ever get it to dead hook on the street. But a controllable spin isn't bad. Temp has a lot to do with it too. Took mine out on semi chilly night without warming the tires up and it spun in 2nd. Took it out yesterday morning and after a few miles laid into it getting on the freeway in 2nd and it hooked and went.

555R's btw.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
For the 17" rim its 315/35/17. I don't think you'll ever get it to dead hook on the street. But a controllable spin isn't bad. Temp has a lot to do with it too. Took mine out on semi chilly night without warming the tires up and it spun in 2nd. Took it out yesterday morning and after a few miles laid into it getting on the freeway in 2nd and it hooked and went.

555R's btw.

temp definitely plays a huge factor. I've owned 3 sets of nittos over the years including 555Rs on my Lightning, it would take a hell of a lot to get me to buy nitto anything

01yellercobra

Established Member
temp definitely plays a huge factor. I've owned 3 sets of nittos over the years including 555Rs on my Lightning, it would take a hell of a lot to get me to buy nitto anything
I've been running nittos forever. I really like them. But I'm looking to go with a more street tire next time around. I want to be able to turn a little faster.

GT500_012308

Established Member
Premium Member
So has anyone actually run these guys yet? I am at around 760who or so. I have the NT555Rs currently they aren't bad but would like something stickier tho.

Kiohtee

Established Member
I've been very happy with my 555R's at 815 wheel up to this point, but I'd be willing to try out a 305/30 to more closely match my fronts.

jsquared_25

Established Member
Premium Member
So has anyone actually run these guys yet? I am at around 760who or so. I have the NT555Rs currently they aren't bad but would like something stickier tho.

I have them on my 2012 whipple gt which is at 650 rwhp with the mt-82 and 3.73’s. I’ve had them for a couple of months now and so far I really like them. I was really surprised on how well the hook up on my car. The size I have are 315/35r20 on a 20x11 wheel.

03_StangGuy

Established Member
Anyone else have expericne with there new 555Rll? I always ran the originals cuxz the mileage was good and traction decent, would get around 15k miles out of a pair. Im driving the car less these days and want more traction so I was considering the MT streets SS or 888Rs but these update 555Rll may be the way to go.

I've been running nittos forever. I really like them. But I'm looking to go with a more street tire next time around. I want to be able to turn a little faster.

What size did run? I have upgrades control arms in but nothing else to control the rear and I feel like I can push it way harder in the corners then I should.

Users who are viewing this thread