New/Old Fuel Pressure Problem

smilinjack

Established Member
Don't know if this has been discussed B4 but.... Went out with my tuner today for a street test with his A/F meter. I've noticed lately that my fuel press. drops OFF a tad during hole shot. ( from 25# to 55# to 35# under full throttle in 1st gear). The A/F told us at that point she leaned out to 16 to 1 !!! After shifting into 2nd she dropped back down to 11.8 to 1 which is where she is tuned to. Also at this point the fuel press. went back to 55# ?? This was with just over 3/8 of a tank of fuel. Just for kicks I brought the fuel level up to 3/4 tank and THAT solved my problem. 11.8 all the way thru the pass. Reason I'm mentioning this is because I've been racing on less than a 1/4 tank for a very long time and never realized I've been suffering from "sloshing" gas in the tank. And yes I have twin 255's in tank but I found out those won't overcome the LACK of fuel in the sump. If you guys have come across the same situation has anybody figured out a remedy OTHER THAN topping off the tank?

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member
With the stock tank I never raced with less than 10 gallons of fuel. The stock tank is very long front to back and fuel sloshes a lot. I recently had my tank cut down to 10 gallons to solve this issue. I can now run much less fuel to save weight(and the cost of an extra can of C16) without fear.

Glad you found this problem before disaster hit.:D

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread