New owner.... and need help

04_svtlightning

I just add a new toy to my list... got a 2004 lightning.

It was a repo and i got it real cheap... but the only bad thing about that is that i know nothing about it. I know it has a full magnaflow exhaust and someone told me that it doesnt have the stock pully anymore to... but idk about that. It does have a super chip and it has a switch for some thing... have no ides for what tho. It doesnt have stock fans anymore to. the tb isnt stock to... and it has a breather

But now i have a problem the truck is throwing a lean code and I took it in to a shop and the said its running low compression in 2 cylinders and i kinda dont buy that story

can anyone help me out with this??

here are some pics

IMG00138-20090915-1448.jpg

IMG00141-20090915-1449.jpg

IMG00142-20090915-1450.jpg

IMG00139-20090915-1448.jpg

IMG00140-20090915-1449.jpg

IMG00144-20090915-1451.jpg

IMG00145-20090915-1452.jpg

IMG00147-20090915-1453.jpg

IMG00148-20090915-1453.jpg

jeffthagiraffe

Established Member
that upper pulley looks smaller than stock and the switch could possible be for the tuner if you change the switch its fir different tunes. my friend had one had 3 tunes one for regular running a nitrous tune and a race gas tun

jerardogav

Established Member
The first thing I will do is get an SCT or Diablo programmer and get it dyno tuned just to make sure it is a safe tune. Toss out the chip I personally don't like chips that may also be the reason for the lean codes. As for the breather I don't think it affects anything just that it will probably not pass smog if the technician is a **ck.

Last edited:

GoTime

BooWho?
Established Member
Rims are 01-02 style.
Hard to tell from interior pic, but also looks like 01-02 style. I believe 03-04 had brushed aluminium style door handles. Grab handles look like 01-02 style also.
Throttle body looks to be an Accufab SB throttle body(polished).
Upper pulley seems to be a 2.90. Definitely not stock. I believe those were good for 1 to 2 lbs extra boost.
Breather is aftermarket. You may want to replace it with factory cap as the breather style tended to throw codes if not tuned for it. Put factory oil cap on, disconnect battery for a while then hook back up and see if your still throwing codes.
Superchip is a 2 program chip. Switch is for flipping it from one program to the other. Had one back in 2001 with a winter tune and a summer tune.
I'm sure others will chime in with their observations also.

Photo Gallery.......................Website.........................Modifications
sig07new.jpg

Have a great day eh !___________________________________Dave

Robert Francis

Established Member
That "breather" cap on there can cause a lean code as it's allowing unmetered air to enter the system, unless the PCV line to the plenum is blocked off.

04_svtlightning

Rims are 01-02 style.
Hard to tell from interior pic, but also looks like 01-02 style. I believe 03-04 had brushed aluminium style door handles. Grab handles look like 01-02 style also.
Upper pulley seems to be a 2.90. Definitely not stock. I believe those were good for 1 to 2 lbs extra boost.
Breather is aftermarket. You may want to replace it with factory cap as the breather style tended to throw codes if not tuned for it. Put factory oil cap on, disconnect battery for a while then hook back up and see if your still throwing codes.
Superchip is a 2 program chip. Switch is for flipping it from one program to the other. Had one back in 2001 with a winter tune and a summer tune.

My bad...i just check the build date again... its 01 :bash:

can the superchip cause any problems

That "breather" cap on there can cause a lean code as it's allowing unmetered air to enter the system, unless the PCV line to the plenum is blocked off.

can anything else cause it also?

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
You have a flip chip. Meaning.. two tunes. Maybe street and race. Or maybe street and nitrous. Or maybe low boost / high boost. Or.. street and stock? Who knows.

Also, it's lowered.

Here is what I'd suggest you do.

1) compression check all cylinders first. Then decide if to proceed...

2) Pull the blower and send to steig to have ported and / or rebuilt.

3) clean the intercooler while the blower is being serviced.

4) Install a new set of TR6 plugs while the blower is off. (gap at 0.032")

5) Change **all** fluids

6) Find out what bottom pulley you have.

7) Mail order a programmer with tunes, 4lb lower pulley (depending on #6), install a conical air filter (larger is better) from a reputable lightning tuner.

Do those and you'll be on the road with a solid performer. From there you can do the normal bolt on mods and dyno tune if you wish.

Rich

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Rims are 01-02 style.

The carpet is earlier than 03-04 too. In 03 the L got the extra plush navigator carpet.

04_svtlightning

You have a flip chip. Meaning.. two tunes. Maybe street and race. Or maybe street and nitrous. Or maybe low boost / high boost. Or.. street and stock? Who knows.

Also, it's lowered.

Here is what I'd suggest you do.

1) compression check all cylinders first. Then decide if to proceed...

2) Pull the blower and send to steig to have ported and / or rebuilt.

3) clean the intercooler while the blower is being serviced.

4) Install a new set of TR6 plugs while the blower is off. (gap at 0.032")

5) Change **all** fluids

6) Find out what bottom pulley you have.

7) Mail order a programmer with tunes, 4lb lower pulley (depending on #6), install a conical air filter (larger is better) from a reputable lightning tuner.

Do those and you'll be on the road with a solid performer. From there you can do the normal bolt on mods and dyno tune if you wish.

Rich

Its also burring oil... what could that be?

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
Rims are 01-02 style.

Photo Gallery.......................Website.........................Modifications
sig07new.jpg

Have a great day eh !___________________________________Dave

Did you mean 2.80....stock was 2.93.

Users who are viewing this thread