New Owner this week

99EOD08

Established Member
I'm pretty stoked. But the cool thing is my wife and kids are also pretty stoked. First Shelby, first Mustang we've ever had. Got a GT350 from John Hennessey. Very good guy. Car is fun and beautiful.
588709b45ff2ccf0224d29a4fd178609.jpg
fd6428af5f888bf06e6f526b527ccacf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Congratulations! I love the color. So what are the mods?

99EOD08

Established Member
Gorgeous! What has been done to it?

Thanks!

Hennessey put their HPE850 package on it. Supercharger but a bunch of other work as well. Dyno was 858 HP, 700+ something torque. Bought it with 800 miles - pretty much all test miles. I'd have to pull the invoice for the exact list of upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
That must be unreal to drive! Very cool that your wife is stoked. If your kids are at or approaching driving age I have a hunch as to why they are also excited! :). My younger daughter ( 11 ) is a gearhead so I get it - we spend lots of time working on our cars together and go to car events - it's great to have something else to do together. Lots of great memories for sure! Enjoy!

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
John Hennessy is not a good guy(all the lawsuits about money he's stolen prove this) but I hope he treats you fair with warranty work.

800 miles I hope you purchased as a used car? One should never sell a test car as new.

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
Congrats

Let's just hope you have a good experience.

Is this a tech package car? If so Did they install transmission and differential coolers?

johnkn

Established Member
Curious how Hennessey quotes 858hp at the motor, highly doubtful he pulls the motor to test. Also curious how the motor goes from 526 to 858 with a small Whipple pushing 5-6psi, headers and injectors/add on fuel pump. That's +332hp or a 63% gain on "5-6 psi" he advertises. Assuming 15% parisitic loss that's ~ 729 at the tire.

Lethal performance (only) made 90 more hp at the tire (819) with twice the boost and the Lund tune

Hennessey certainly didn't make many friends within the Viper community several years ago.

Last edited:

99EOD08

Established Member
Curious how Hennessey quotes 858hp at the motor, highly doubtful he pulls the motor to test. Also curious how the motor goes from 526 to 858 with a small Whipple pushing 5-6psi, headers and injectors/add on fuel pump. That's +332hp or a 63% gain on "5-6 psi" he advertises. Assuming 15% parisitic loss that's ~ 729 at the tire.

Lethal performance (only) made 90 more hp at the tire (819) with twice the boost and the Lund tune

Hennessey certainly didn't make many friends within the Viper community several years ago.

I thought the same thing...or grew skeptical after some research and then some dealings post sale. I took it to a different performance shop for a new custom tune and they ran it on the dyno. A specific question I asked was if it ran what was advertised. They ran it and it right around advertised #s and has about 8 psi. But yeah, it was a question. But the second dyno on it pushed pretty close numbers. At the wheels it was 730 - 740 or something. I’d have to look at the dyno sheet again.

I don’t like to be open public on stuff like this. But I will say that people should be aware before purchasing. More than I was at least. My experience hasn’t been horrible or catastrophic like some have experienced thankfully. But there is enough there to say, “yeah, I can totally see that happening.” Hindsight is 20-20. Probably wouldn’t have bought it from there. But the car does really get with it. Good sound. Good feel. I don’t track it. I did order the Shelby trans cooler which is more a bandaid but because I don’t track it I really don’t have transmission heat issues. And have put some other small mods on it since. Haven’t decided if I’m going to keep it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

99EOD08

Established Member
John Hennessy is not a good guy(all the lawsuits about money he's stolen prove this) but I hope he treats you fair with warranty work.

800 miles I hope you purchased as a used car? One should never sell a test car as new.

Yes, I have learned a little post sale. On me for not doing a better job research wise pre sale. Live and learn.

ANGREY

Established Member
Hennessey addresses the whole engine hp vs whp in a video of one of his HPGT350 test drives.

He's catering to marketing just like everyone else in the business. Engine numbers (even theoretical or calculated) make for better sales than whp. In fairness to the guy, he even explains that a LOT of people don't know the difference, so the poor schlub who lists an OEM with whp is going to lose business to the guys who list engine hp simply because Johnny Q Idiot doesn't know the difference and sees the two numbers and thinks the latter is better.

I'm not defending Hennessey, I have no bias for or against the guy. The Venom GT is my "dream car" but like most of his vehicles, I feel like what his does is awfully overpriced. But to each their own. I've said the same thing about Roush and Saleen over the years too. Cool cars. Overpriced.

At any rate, congratulations. I plan on tossing a whipple on my 350. The one thing I'm envious about your HP350 is that they actually lowered the compression a point.

99EOD08

Established Member
Hennessey addresses the whole engine hp vs whp in a video of one of his HPGT350 test drives.

He's catering to marketing just like everyone else in the business. Engine numbers (even theoretical or calculated) make for better sales than whp. In fairness to the guy, he even explains that a LOT of people don't know the difference, so the poor schlub who lists an OEM with whp is going to lose business to the guys who list engine hp simply because Johnny Q Idiot doesn't know the difference and sees the two numbers and thinks the latter is better.

I'm not defending Hennessey, I have no bias for or against the guy. The Venom GT is my "dream car" but like most of his vehicles, I feel like what his does is awfully overpriced. But to each their own. I've said the same thing about Roush and Saleen over the years too. Cool cars. Overpriced.

At any rate, congratulations. I plan on tossing a whipple on my 350. The one thing I'm envious about your HP350 is that they actually lowered the compression a point.

That’s true...his stuff is way overpriced. He’s well funded and well marketed. And plenty of dudes like me that, well, do what I did. :) For me, he worked with me on the price so I can’t complain there. I won’t say the price, but it wasn’t much more than going to the lot and buying a stock one from dealer and much less than a new R. So as far as what I paid, no major complaints. It’s not whether the price was right, it is more whether or not the deal was right. They did lower compression but what I do also recommend is maybe going through Lund Performance for the tune, which is what I have done using a shop that works exclusively with Lund. Someone mentioned Lethal, they also use Lund for their tuning. If you’re going to do a Whipple, think about that over the generic Whipple tune. Whipple is good though and they have excellent customer service at least from my experience. Mine made slightly more than pro charger built GT350 that was in the same shop. But like you said, to each their own and you got to do what’s comfortable for you.

I’ve actually considered selling and picking up a new 1LE and just not mod it. I know that’s blasphemy in here. LOL...haven’t done it and still haven’t decided.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
That is a nice ride, regardless of the Hen brand.

More pics would be nice.

What are your plans with the car?

ANGREY

Established Member
That’s true...his stuff is way overpriced. He’s well funded and well marketed. And plenty of dudes like me that, well, do what I did. :) For me, he worked with me on the price so I can’t complain there. I won’t say the price, but it wasn’t much more than going to the lot and buying a stock one from dealer and much less than a new R. So as far as what I paid, no major complaints. It’s not whether the price was right, it is more whether or not the deal was right. They did lower compression but what I do also recommend is maybe going through Lund Performance for the tune, which is what I have done using a shop that works exclusively with Lund. Someone mentioned Lethal, they also use Lund for their tuning. If you’re going to do a Whipple, think about that over the generic Whipple tune. Whipple is good though and they have excellent customer service at least from my experience. Mine made slightly more than pro charger built GT350 that was in the same shop. But like you said, to each their own and you got to do what’s comfortable for you.

I’ve actually considered selling and picking up a new 1LE and just not mod it. I know that’s blasphemy in here. LOL...haven’t done it and still haven’t decided.

I apologize. It wasn't meant to be offense. In fairness, there's not a whole lot of things that I find of high value:)

I think a LOT of stuff offered by Vendors and OEM's is "overpriced" and value is always in the eye of the beholder. Certainly just is true is that I don't know what you paid. You might have gotten a huge discount from what they advertise as retail costs. I'm picturing the HP850 in like the $110k range because of the cost of a 350+$40k.

At any rate, congrats and I'm sure we're all interested in seeing more of this unique beast.

99EOD08

Established Member
I apologize. It wasn't meant to be offense. In fairness, there's not a whole lot of things that I find of high value:)

I think a LOT of stuff offered by Vendors and OEM's is "overpriced" and value is always in the eye of the beholder. Certainly just is true is that I don't know what you paid. You might have gotten a huge discount from what they advertise as retail costs. I'm picturing the HP850 in like the $110k range because of the cost of a 350+$40k.

At any rate, congrats and I'm sure we're all interested in seeing more of this unique beast.

Oh no offense taken at all. I didn’t pay anywhere near those numbers - thank goodness. If I went into six digits, it would be for a 911, GT3 etc. Not for a Hen car. :)

Users who are viewing this thread