New Personal Best.... Still UnHappy

KwikSilvr

Established Member
I ran a 11.78 last night at San antonio Raceway... was hoping for 11.49 or better...

I am going again tonight with a little weight reduction...

oddly enough I ran my best time with the tail gate on and hitch and spare tire in the rear...

is this common?

I had my new MT drag radials... but I was still slipping all down the track..

tonight I take my slicks, and I will have far less fuel and im gonna remove my subs and possibly my passenger seat...

what i odnt get is with the weight reduction of the tailgate, and spare, why i ran slower than with all that on.. will it change when I run with my slicks?

also does the full size spare weigh less than the stock front wheels and tires? or what about them being skinnier? I dont have skinnies so I was gonna borrow a friends spare and use mine. would this be safe or should I not try it?

I also have a fiberglass bed cover... it only weighes 40 lbs, if that... I wonder if I shid take it off before tonight...

i am curious if running the spare tires up front would be better than the nittos... or would they blow up at 120 MPH.....

thanks...

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
119 is fast enough for a 11.4 run in these bricks. Nice best, slicks and skinny's will help big time.
What was the air temp? I know it was in the 90's here

wigginwilly00

Another day in Paradise
Established Member
Pretty good mph but, 60's are eating you alive. Did you remove the front sway bar?

I would meet you down there but, I have to go to a friends daughters Quincietta.. Good luck man...Video if you can!

FordFanStan

Established Member
You lightened the rear without adding traction devices or better tires. This should change when you bolt on your slicks and remove the weight again.

As far as safety, I would not run any spares. They are not meant to be ran at those speeds. Yes they are lighter in weight, but again, I would not condone or recommend it. SAFETY IS KEY!

If you want cheap, find some used stock F150 16" wheels and through on some small high speed rated cheap tires and that will help out alot. FFS

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
You lightened the rear without adding traction devices or better tires. This should change when you bolt on your slicks and remove the weight again.

As far as safety, I would not run any spares. They are not meant to be ran at those speeds. Yes they are lighter in weight, but again, I would not condone or recommend it. SAFETY IS KEY!

If you want cheap, find some used stock F150 16" wheels and through on some small high speed rated cheap tires and that will help out alot. FFS

+1 Good advice. It's tempting to do it, but it's not safe at all, especially with how heavy these trucks are.

As far as the tailgate, I always run with mine on, and my soft tonneau. I hook better and get better mph with them on. Good luck!

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member
Congrats on a new personal best.:beer: It will take time and patience to reach the ultimate capability of your truck. Get your 60' times down into the 1.5s and you reach your goals. Your MPH puts you right about the ETs you have as a goal.

To go from high 11s to low 11s takes everything working together seamlessly. Each time out you will learn something new. Pay attention and take notes. Once on slicks you will achieve your best times with all the weight loss possible.

Jim

KwikSilvr

Established Member
Congrats on a new personal best.:beer: It will take time and patience to reach the ultimate capability of your truck. Get your 60' times down into the 1.5s and you reach your goals. Your MPH puts you right about the ETs you have as a goal.

To go from high 11s to low 11s takes everything working together seamlessly. Each time out you will learn something new. Pay attention and take notes. Once on slicks you will achieve your best times with all the weight loss possible.

Jim

new personal best... still working it though.... I really do think a 10 sec pass is in my future... its gotta drop like 40 degrees outside though... high 40's or low 50's would do great right about now... alas I live in S. Texas... I will need to wait until after the new year.. oh well...

11.70 @ 117 tonight..
1.67 60'

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member
Once more, congrats on a new best!:beer: You will need good conditions and some work on your 60' times to run sub 11.5. Your MPH only supports mid 11s. To get into the tens your power level will show 122-125 MPH.

Jim

Derek2001

Established Member
Dont feel bad buddy it takes practice. I ran a 11.3 @ 125 and could only muster 1.6 60fts. I had the mph for the 10 but my driving(or transmission) wasn't allowing it. You'll get it down, congrats on the new best.

KwikSilvr

Established Member
Once more, congrats on a new best!:beer: You will need good conditions and some work on your 60' times to run sub 11.5. Your MPH only supports mid 11s. To get into the tens your power level will show 122-125 MPH.

Jim

i had 2 120+ MPH runs... I think one was 122

but i spun off the line...

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member
Yes, spinning off the line always allows a few more mph. Keep working at the launch. It is where all the ET is made.
Jim

Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt
Established Member
I agree with what's been said above. You've got the power to to get a mid-low 11, it's just a matter of getting everything working just right, including the track prep and weather. One thing I'd check is your shift points. In my first race tune I was shifting too early and it killed my ET but MPH wasn't hurt. Your MPH is up there but your ET isn't matching up. When I corrected my shift points I picked up almost 1/2 second. My time in sig was run with a lot less power than you have, a 1.65 60', and the only weight reduction was removing the spare and my slicks/skinnies. Keep at it and you'll get there!:thumbsup:

Matt

KwikSilvr

Established Member
im shifting 300 rpm past my peak HP point...

which lands me right on my highest toruq point... I got that part all nailed down... its just in the weight and outside temp now...

wd13

Established Member
im shifting 300 rpm past my peak HP point...

which lands me right on my highest toruq point... I got that part all nailed down... its just in the weight and outside temp now...

Its your 60's that are killing you. Our power #'s are pretty close but I'm over a second faster. Usually when I try to run DR's, I 60' in the 1.7's and normally click off a 11.7 or so. Change to the slicks, and back in the 10's with a 1.4x 60'.

Keep playing with it, you'll get it right.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread