New pics of the car

CY98Cobra

Established Member
You can get spray cans, paint and touchup paint in factory colors from www.paintscratch.com. I bought a couple spray cans and that's what I painted my mirrors and side scoops with. The paint matches perfect and is alot cheaper than having a body shop do it.

BLACKVNM

Established Member
looks a ton better. :rockon: S281

just curious, what does it say on your drivers side front bumper? (where saleen #'s usually are)

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
CY98Cobra said:
You can get spray cans, paint and touchup paint in factory colors from www.paintscratch.com. I bought a couple spray cans and that's what I painted my mirrors and side scoops with. The paint matches perfect and is alot cheaper than having a body shop do it.

i've been wondering how that paint is. i've seen the site a few times but nevr talked to anyone who used it. it's like a Krylon can, right? easy to prep? what do you do for a clear coat? buy a can of that, too? my car has a tinted clear, so can they just match it all in one can?

EastCoast5.0

Established Member
Sorry I don't mean to Hijack anything but, badass98svt I just noticed your from Salem. My old man works in Pelhem and I'm up in that area every once in a while, I'll keep an eye out.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Looks so much better, Josh! Awesome!! :rockon: I just picked up my car and the S281 wing about an hour ago, after seeing this thread I can't wait to get off work tonight and put it on the car!

97CasperCobra said:
tell me why I didn't want to drive up North to pick up a CY when I was looking for Cobras back in '99??? :bash:

Because you got a better color instead.. Didn't you know all of the cool kids have white Cobras? :D

CY98Cobra

Established Member
badass98svt said:
i've been wondering how that paint is. i've seen the site a few times but nevr talked to anyone who used it. it's like a Krylon can, right? easy to prep? what do you do for a clear coat? buy a can of that, too? my car has a tinted clear, so can they just match it all in one can?

It is like Krylon, Duplicolor, etc. To prep I used the scotchbrite pad to help the paint stick, cleaned with soap and water then alcohol, then sprayed with duplicolor primer until it was completely covered. After the alloted drying time I sprayed the color coat. After it had dryed I used duplicolor clear coat.

Is your car laser red? If so you have a three stage paint. Base color coat, then tinted clear, then regular clear I believe. I remember looking on their site for laser red (my girlfriend has a laser red 99 gt) and it was the three stage process. They sold it as a kit. Check on the site to see what all is included. You will need your paint code which is on the door jamb sticker.

When you get the paint they include a card so you can color match. Make sure you check that it matches by painting the card just as you would the part (primer, paint, clear). Then you can compare it to your car to make sure it is mixed properly. Make sure you clear coat the card. The color won't match without it. Also, when painting, use light mist coats and allow drying time in between. If you don't you will get runs. Patience is key here. Paint the clear the same way, light mist coats. The clear is harder to see so it's easy to spray too much on at one time.

Lightning LA

Mark it ZERO!
Established Member
CY98Cobra said:
Actually I did that before painting the mirrors. I was going to get smoked headlights also but decided to spend $20 on clear corners instead of $170 on new headlights. Since painting the mirrors I have been thinking about painting the bezels back yellow. Haven't really decided yet. I still have some CY paint I just have to do it.
I was wondering do the bezels come off of the lights,so it would be easier to paint? My white paint on my bezels have a little yellowish tint to them, i've tried everything to get them back white to match the rest of the paint. I guess i'll paint them that's why I was wondering if the come off seperate from the lights. I think you would like your backend better if you went back to yellow. That's one of the things I think makes our tail lights better looking than any other Cobra's, the color matching paint around the tails.

mcaligiuri

Established Member
Lightning LA said:
I was wondering do the bezels come off of the lights,so it would be easier to paint? My white paint on my bezels have a little yellowish tint to them, i've tried everything to get them back white to match the rest of the paint. I guess i'll paint them that's why I was wondering if the come off seperate from the lights. I think you would like your backend better if you went back to yellow. That's one of the things I think makes our tail lights better looking than any other Cobra's, the color matching paint around the tails.

yes the do, attached by phillips screws i believe

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Lightning LA said:

96-98 bezels are removeable, 94-95 are not.

There are 3 or 4 screws across the bottom of the bezel and clips that run around the top part. You have to remove the screws first then push the clips out of the taillight.

Users who are viewing this thread