New Power Data

Smrgol

Last week I got and installed an Afterburner-eFPC. I spent some time on the dyno today and tuned in the 4lb pulley. I pushed the AFR as low as 12.5:1 (average) but I lost about 7 rwhp on that run, so I settled for about 12.8:1 average AFR. The results were (SAE) 460 rwhp / 456 rwtq. The gains over my last run with the 4lb pulley were +27.8 rwhp / +56.2 rwtq maximum, +12.9 rwhp / +17.7 rwtq average, and the peak values change by +10.5 rwhp / +13.2 rwtq.

We put the 6lb pulley on next and checked the tune. This pulley got my boost up to about 10.5 psi. It turns out the AFR curve for the 4lb pulley was just slightly leaner down low but otherwise spot on. I left it where it was for now. The final results were (SAE) 465 rwhp / 477 rwtq with the gains over the tuned 4lb pulley being +22.5 rwhp / +24.7 rwtq maximum, +11.9 rwhp / +15.5 rwtq average, and +4.6 rwhp / +21.5 rwtq peak.

Not too shabby. I only made 381 rwhp / 391 rwtq actual (I'm at 5200+ ft) so I've got about 19 hp to go to reach my goal :).

Mods to date:

Amazon Racing Filter Kit
JBA 1 5/8" Shorties
Bassani X-pipe w/ cats
FR500 Exhaust
Diablo Sport Chip
Metco Lower Pulley Kit w/ 6lb pulley
Afterburner-eFPC

03DOHC

Established Member
Sweet!:beer: I've been eyeballing that mod. Looks like it works pretty well.

BOOOOST

Established Member
Originally posted by dwtalso
I pushed the AFR as low as 12.5:1 (average) but I lost about 7 rwhp on that run, so I settled for about 12.8:1 average AFR.

What is up with the LEAN afr's??? That's not safe, bud. You need to be around 11.5 to 11.8 max. You'd lose possibly 10 rwhp total doing this, but would assure yourself a competely safe tune.

Nothing against your intelligence, but I don't think many people are educated on air/fuels enough.

Anyhoo, AWESOME power #'s, though!

Smrgol

Originally posted by LLCoolStang
Not bad at all, certainley seems worth the money. How are you liking those JBA shorty headers?

I like them. They gave me a good power boost and they have behave nicely. The exhaust note with them improved alot too :)

So far I'm happy.

Smrgol

Re: Re: New Power Data

Originally posted by BNASPLT
What is up with the LEAN afr's??? That's not safe, bud. You need to be around 11.5 to 11.8 max. You'd lose possibly 10 rwhp total doing this, but would assure yourself a competely safe tune.

Nothing against your intelligence, but I don't think many people are educated on air/fuels enough.

Anyhoo, AWESOME power #'s, though!

This is probably worth a whole new topic but we'll start here. I agree with you, except that this is not the high comression 4.6 anymore. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that kind of AFR buffer was needed to protect the pre-03's from detonation risk because they were hypereutectic and 9.85:1.

This motor is 8.5:1. There's got to be some ability to let up on the AFR....doesn't there? I've seen several '03's tuned about where I'm at. Maybe we're all on the ragged edge and, believe me, I can be talked down from that in a heartbeat :).

So, talk me down, give me some data, I'm open :). I feel pretty safe at that moment because my altitude doesn't give me the cylinder pressures others see and I'm only at 10.5-11 psi, but I'd happily dial in more fuel (thanks Mark :) ) with some more info ;).

Last edited by a moderator:

i8u

Established Member
Re: Re: Re: New Power Data

Originally posted by dwtalso
\ Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that kind of AFR buffer was needed to protect the pre-03's from detonation risk because they were hypereutectic and 9.5:1.

9.85:1:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread