New problem!!!

dustin88lx

Established Member
So if you all remember my 2013 Shelby Clutch said bye bye!!! you have the backround....Well today we got the new mcleod clutch in everything fit awesome no issues trans went together perfect to pushing no prying...nothing......

Well after getting everything ready I took off in the car easy and noticed this god awful noise.....to me doesn't sound like its coming from the trans sounds like its coming from directly below the drivers side floor pan.....checked everything around the trans nothing seen from the outside...wierd thing is the CAR SOUNDS MUCH WORSE WHEN YOU TURN RIGHT....it doesn't do it all the time...it doen't do it in nuetral and really only happens when your under load....I have no idea where to start they are claiming that I may have managed to bend the input shaft on the trans with a mix of the heat from the failing clutch and the approx 825-850 ft/pds that are on the flywheel....If anyone has heard or seen this before let me know...the best way I know to describe the sound is sort of like crunching gravel in your hand or dragging a box of rocks....

Snoopy49

Established Member
That almost sounds like a bearing failure.
I would drain the oil in the transmission and look for metal flakes or even pieces of metal in the oil.

If it was a bent input shaft, I think there would be a lot of vibration.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Wait a minute. Wasn't this the clutch that 'blew up' so to speak? Did I miss photos of the carnage?

dustin88lx

Established Member
Wait a minute. Wasn't this the clutch that 'blew up' so to speak? Did I miss photos of the carnage?

The photos haven't went up yet...I have been a little more preoccupied with the current problem...upon removal wasn't as bad as I had originally thought I am missing some pieces but the clutch disc itself didn't "blow apart" a couple pads did....and the flywheel was fried......it got so hot it turned the whole surface blue...i'll get picks up later....any help would be appreciated

Jroc

Established Member
Just fyi when I first put my McLeod RST in my Cobra it worked like shit. I was pissed. I had just spent all this money on a TD that was suppose to be the shit, and it was working like shit. It turned out that a TD is much more finicky about being adjust properly than a SD seeing as how you have much less room to be off with an extra disk and a friction plate in there. The guy who installed the clutch just threw it in there, and didn't torque the pressure plate down to specs and it was torqued down unevenly and that caused it to not work correctly.(Only one side of the discs where engaging) My symptoms where different than yours though as it didn't want to shift good or go into reverse.(I had to cut the car off to put it in reverse) We must of had the tranny back off 3/4 times before calling McLeod. McLeods Mustang expert is named Lee. He pointed use straight to the problem. Once torqued down evenly to specs it worked awesome.

If you do think it's the clutch causing the issue I highly recommend calling McLeod and talking with Lee. Trust me when I tell you that this dude knows his shit when it comes to how these clutches work with Mustangs.

Last edited:

dustin88lx

Established Member
I don't know if its the clutch, the clutch was just put in, but it was put in to spec all the bolts torqued down at the proper poundage, something is wrong and I have talked to Lee I don't know if its in the clutch itself or the trans....no idea why turning right or left would have anything to do with it either....

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
When you pull the tranny, it is typical to loosen the k frame by removing the 4 bolts at the rear, and remove the 2 rear nuts near the motor mounts and loosen the 2 front nuts to allow the rear of the k frame to drop down from the vehicle body to make removing and installing the transmission easier. did you do this when you installed the clutch? if so did you make sure all the hardware was tightened fully during reassembly? only thing i could think of to cause this.

dustin88lx

Established Member
Change your oil and see if there's any bits in it.

If it only bent the input/output shaft I wouldn't see that there would be any metal in the oil....as for other possible failures within the trans it's possible...i just find it wierd i don't have a bad vibration...but when I say this thing is making noise i mean it is loud windows up or down you can hear like the driveshaft is slapping off the frame...(its not the driveshaft)

Last edited:

dustin88lx

Established Member
When you pull the tranny, it is typical to loosen the k frame by removing the 4 bolts at the rear, and remove the 2 rear nuts near the motor mounts and loosen the 2 front nuts to allow the rear of the k frame to drop down from the vehicle body to make removing and installing the transmission easier. did you do this when you installed the clutch? if so did you make sure all the hardware was tightened fully during reassembly? only thing i could think of to cause this.

Yes we loosened and dropped them down to make it easiar, but we did check them to make sure and checked them twice more after the noise to be certain.

flyby763

Established Member
Is there enough clearance between the bellhousing and the body of the car? Maybe its vibrating against it if something didnt get put back just right...just throwing it out there.

dustin88lx

Established Member
According to the 2013 GT500 Owners Manual Supplement - Page 5

TREMEC TR6060 high–torque capacity 6-speed manual transmission

Thanks I found it later last night....I guess they consider 600ft/pds high torque capacity.....that is according to TREMECs website....
I wouldn't imagine putting it in a car that make 600rwtq from factory....then you couple that with a couple bolts on and some DR's...not good.....my trans is back out agian, I have a TREMEC pro coming out tonight and were going to go through the hole thing to either find the problem or rule out the trans. My warranty is already gone anyways so not to worried about it...price you pay if you want to run em hard.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Thanks I found it later last night....I guess they consider 600ft/pds high torque capacity.....that is according to TREMECs website....
I wouldn't imagine putting it in a car that make 600rwtq from factory....then you couple that with a couple bolts on and some DR's...not good.....my trans is back out agian, I have a TREMEC pro coming out tonight and were going to go through the hole thing to either find the problem or rule out the trans. My warranty is already gone anyways so not to worried about it...price you pay if you want to run em hard.

yeap pay to play, look forward to the outcome though for future reference and info, good luck

BigDan

Established Member
My story which may help a little.

Clutch destroyed itself while my wife was driving it back from Lake Tahoe and had have the car towed to the nearest dealership.

Upon inspection the dealer told us that the throw out bearing failed and damaged a lot of stuff so he was going to be ordering me everything that fits in the bellhousing brand new like clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, throw out bearing, ect and it fixed the problem and drives like new even though it was making 585whp.

Its nice to have a performance shop that "know's a guy" at the local dealership. Thanks AED

Users who are viewing this thread