New Procharger for 2011 5.0!

Formula51

Established Member
with 415rwhp from long tubes, intake and tune... your saying that a head and cam upgrade won't make an additional 35rwhp to make 450rwhp? I've seen cams make about that much alone.

I'm not saying that at all. I just think it will be interesting to see if anyone (how many) hits that number in a streetable car on 93 octane.

The heads on the 5.0 flow VERY good, but there is certainly some gain to be had. Curious how much can be gained from cam's. I really don't know, which is why I am asking. Not sure anyone know's yet unless some shops have experimented already. Have you seen the 5.0 make close to 35 rwhp from just cam's?

Are we talking cam's that keep the VVT or would you have to deactivate that when doing a cam swap?

On another note, its very nice to see that 400+rwhp is easily obtained with bolt-on's and a tune. That's a solid 60rwhp more than the 01-02' LS1 was putting down with bolt-on's in an f-body and from only 5.0L. I think that is awesome!

*Edit* Is most of the gain from bolt-on's in the tune or the air induction/exhaust? I had read the factory manifolds were like shorty headers.

Oh, and on topic. I think the Pro Charger install looks nicer than the Vortech. If I'm putting a supercharger on the car, I wan't to see it front and center (or to the side in this case) when I open the hood!

Last edited:

Entrenched

Established Member
factory

Picture057.jpg

Pics of actual stock stainless headers

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
anyone who doubts that 450NA will be hit is just dense, the engine is right there. besides, with the boss 302 being revealed on friday coming with 430HP factory, seriously. the 302R intake will be a great help for NA power.
personally, i'm waiting for a full bore NA build putting down 500NA with huge compression and E85 or something. now THAT would be impressive!

as far as the blowers in this thread, i the procharger is the last one i would get, the vortech just looks better IMO. having said that i would go NA/nitrous, turbo, then PD blower over centis.

Sir Nate 3000

Silver Stallion
Established Member
I'm not saying that at all. I just think it will be interesting to see if anyone (how many) hits that number in a streetable car on 93 octane.

many... its just H/C/I/LT's and good a tune away.

The heads on the 5.0 flow VERY good, but there is certainly some gain to be had. Curious how much can be gained from cam's. I really don't know, which is why I am asking. Not sure anyone know's yet unless some shops have experimented already. Have you seen the 5.0 make close to 35 rwhp from just cam's?

No I have'nt seen any 11's with cams. just based it off prior experiences. and now that you can control cam events, why wouldn't you be able to achieve that?

Are we talking cam's that keep the VVT or would you have to deactivate that when doing a cam swap?

There shoudn't be a problem keeping the TiVCT active. Should be tuneable.

...It might even be possible to reach 450rwhp with stock cams. Just playing with the TiVCT could do it. IMO

and here is more proof: 430rwhp (stock heads, cams and exhaust) http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-mustangs-354/715938-livernois-2011-mustang-cai-tune-results.html

Last edited:

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
After looking at both photos above, it boggles my mind how anyone can say the Vortech kit looks nicer or is a nicer install :shrug:

Really? It boggles your mind? I think the Vortech install looks nicer.

Here's one with the cover still on it, still feel that way?

01_vortech2011sc.jpg

Or is it because the procharger is polished?

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
After looking at both photos above, it boggles my mind how anyone can say the Vortech kit looks nicer or is a nicer install :shrug:
i think the vortech is packaged better. looks more compact, like where the factory might place it. the procharger on the other hand is stuck hanging off the side, just looks like an add on. it just looks aftermarket - not something i like.

^^^IMO^^^

Last edited:

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
Really? It boggles your mind? I think the Vortech install looks nicer.

Here's one with the cover still on it, still feel that way?

Or is it because the procharger is polished?

The cover definitely makes all the difference in the world. I also like how on the Procharger, the pulley faces the front of the car, giving you easier access. when i had the d1 on my car, belt changes were some production with the pulley facing inward like on this vortech kit. I guess we have to see which one outperforms the other at this point!

Formula51

Established Member
Formula, Livernois, hit 430 rwhp with CAI, Tune and GT500 Mufflers.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-livernois-2011-mustang-cai-tune-results.html

These cars will make 450+ N/A on the stock long block eventually, they are still gaining with the tune as tuners figure out how to manipulate the TiVCT.

Wow, I see that. Then again, their baseline was 390hp stock, which is much higher than the average numbers I have seen (around 365rwhp) but every dyno is different. Perhaps their numbers are not corrected or their dyno reads high?

So they picked up 40rwhp with a tune and CAI, very impressive!

chrisheltra

Established Member
Wow, I see that. Then again, their baseline was 390hp stock, which is much higher than the average numbers I have seen (around 365rwhp) but every dyno is different. Perhaps their numbers are not corrected or their dyno reads high?

So they picked up 40rwhp with a tune and CAI, very impressive!

386 bone stock on my '11 GT M6 w/ 3.73's. :shrug:

Formula51

Established Member
anyone who doubts that 450NA will be hit is just dense, the engine is right there. besides, with the boss 302 being revealed on friday coming with 430HP factory, seriously. the 302R intake will be a great help for NA power.
personally, i'm waiting for a full bore NA build putting down 500NA with huge compression and E85 or something. now THAT would be impressive!

as far as the blowers in this thread, i the procharger is the last one i would get, the vortech just looks better IMO. having said that i would go NA/nitrous, turbo, then PD blower over centis.

Hey Trapp, I never doubted 450hp. I just think it will be very impressive if it is reached with basic mods in a streetable car on 93 octane. Certainly a more full tilt build can yield over 450hp with E85, race gas, etc. I'm thinking more in terms of what the typical car guy can do on a reasonable budget.

Formula51

Established Member
386 bone stock on my '11 GT M6 w/ 3.73's. :shrug:

Wow. What type of dyno and correction? Those are high end 03/04' Cobra numbers and they highest I have see, coupled with Livernois. Thats a good 15 to 20rwhp higher than other numbers I have seen.

As for the Pro Charger, whats the guess on how much boost the 5.0L can take with a safe 93 octane tune and live a long and happy life? Are we thinking 500+rwhp and a reliable 50,000 miles or even 100,000 miles? Makes me wonder how much a Pro Charged GT weighs compared to a GT500. If the tranny can take the power, that might not be a bad alternative for many. Especially when you can pick up a used GT for cheap in a few years.

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Hey Trapp, I never doubted 450hp. I just think it will be very impressive if it is reached with basic mods in a streetable car on 93 octane. Certainly a more full tilt build can yield over 450hp with E85, race gas, etc. I'm thinking more in terms of what the typical car guy can do on a reasonable budget.
yea, was making more of a general statement than anything :beer:

stang1971

Established Member
ok ill throw in my 2 cents to this... since i live in kc and had some free time today i stopped by procharger today to check out the cars.. these pics dont do it justice.. this kit looks MUCH better in person then the photos make it look. so... as you can imagine i just couldnt keep from doing it..... next week my tuner is picking up the kit for me and installing it. :banana::banana:

i will of course take pics and post numbers.... im very excited.

dynasty_v6

Established Member
I'm still waiting to see if anyone hits that number (450rwhp) on pump gas NA. It will be VERY impressive if they do.

It took excellent flowing heads with a well matched/aggressive cam and all the supporting bolt-on's to hit around that number in a 5.7L LS1. We are talking heads that flow better than the new Ford 5.0's heads, a seriously aggressive cam, and more cubes. Not saying it can't be done, just that it would be an impressive feat.

It's easy in an LS3....too bad the only lightweight car they put that engine in is a Vette. :pop:

A 2 valve head out flowing a 4 valve head? Not likely...

Users who are viewing this thread