New Procharger for 2011 5.0!

1Sick2Valve

Established Member
wow, that fact that they had to hack the engine cover makes it even less desirable, and the fact they use the stock restrictive air box is also cheap to me. And the blower faces the annoying way again. Procharger nailed it. Blower faces the right way, uses a seperate belt system, Is intercooled, and keeps the stock cover lookin nice.

My vote is procharger!

NoSVT's4me

Established Member
I like the Procharger look much more, but at the point of adding a S/C, it's performance I care about, along with ease of installation. Beyond those two things, little matters. If I'm adding any S/C, I'm looking to go faster, not look prettier.

I noticed questions/comments about the filter placement in the rear. Seems to me a cowl induction hood would clear up any problems in that area and a well done ram air hood would be pretty nice. If hot air is any concern, I'd look into a new hood. Then again, I'm not sure on the output of these systems reaching my goals and I really think my desire would be to swap pistons to something around 9:1 and really get some boost. I've not read all the details, but it seems similar power can be had without boost... so far. Lower compression could be a major help and I'm sure we'll see it happen sometime soon, by someone who has the money, time and want...

metaman

Established Member
You guys are on crack if you think that the intake being up near the fire wall will not have a negative effect on the temperature of the air going into the filter. I own an 03 cobra and it has got an intake temp sensor just after the air filter and also just after the intercooler.

I used to run just the strait in the engine compartment air filter with no shield. Then one day I plumbed up a cold air duct from the fog light bezel and compared the air intake temps before and after. During the summer both air intake temp sensors measured 15-20 degrees hotter before the cold air mod I did. And that was with the filter way up in the front of the engine bay.

The intercooler being part of the system does not negate the higher initial intake temperatures associated with having the air filter basically perched right above the exhaust headers. The intercooler takes whatever temp air goes into and out of the supercharger and reduces its temperature by a percentage of the original charge air temp.

So if you start out with 100 degree air going into the filter as apposed to 80 degree air (cold air source) then you end up with 20 degree hotter air after the intercooler. The procharger guys screwed the pooch on this one. That is a huge design flaw. No way in hell I would put that set up on my car.

tommygun

Established Member
How can you compare a eaton style blower with a centrifugal blower for intake temps after the IC lol not even the same level

plus you put a cold air feeding from a front facing area, that there did help yours but the way the cent. blowers are set up are air to air IC, you have a water to air IC. The procharger kit will be just fine at lower (street) boost levels, the part that worries me about the vortech kit is the 90 deg bend feeding the blower from the air box, thats a HUGE restriction and will make the blower work harder. Prochargers Fbody kit has something similar and it flat sucks, you can remove the inlet and put a screen over it and gain 50-100rwhp depending on your combo, so maybe someone will try that with the vortech kit and see huge gains as well...except people will bitch that its pulling hot air right off the radiator instead haha. There are a lot of Procharger kits on the market with similar placed air filters and they do not show any issues, plus the MAF is moved to the IC and the air seen there is better then in the intake tract. If you think you can design a better kit with better placement of the blower, air intake, ect... then start scribbling down some drawings and get to making them... or just come up with something better for the kits we have. Procharger and Vortech really jumped on the ball with this car and its awesome, props to both companies. Whipple, FMS, Edelbrock all will have their kits out in the next month as well

NoSVT's4me

Established Member
It really doesn't matter which type of S/C is used, a cold air set up will help lower intake temps if it's set up well. Whether or not it CAN be set up well is the only question and from the looks, there isn't much going on here, short of a hood replacement designed for ram air or cowl induction, either of which (done correctly) would help aid cooler air entering the engine. For me, the Procharger seems easiest at this time, because several companies could build a cowl or ram air hood to force cooler air to the filter even if they fail to block off air coming from the sides and bottom... cold/ram air or cowl hoods have always helped reduce engine bay temps even when done half-heartedly. As long as movement exists, lower temps are possible. Bottom line here: Getting more airflow between the hood and the available filter locations should certainly deliver lower intake temps and that should lead to a better overall product, allowing for more power, more boost, longer engine life, whatever... one or more of those benefits is bound to be a reality.

With the Procharger vs Vortech pictured, the PC looks better to me, not just to view, but to help keep lower temps due to overall design AND placement. The closer any forced induction is to the engine, the hotter temps one can expect. Plus, it will take longer to cool when the engine is shut down.

All told, as cool as any S/C is, I prefer turbochargers just the same. :shrug:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
So does it even matter that these cars have high compression and running boost? I guess time will tell?

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
So does it even matter that these cars have high compression and running boost? I guess time will tell?
no!!! high compression means that you need to run less boost to achieve the same target HP! an 11:1 engine with 6PSI should make similar HP to a 9:1 engine with 10PSI because both engines will have a similar final compression ratio(static engine compression + the compressed air from the 'charger).

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
How do you figure? THe P1SC will make 825 hp. Way more than a stock 5.0 will handle...

825- Yeah- good luck with that.
If I were trying to get 800+ out of a built 5.0, ProCharger's entry level blower would not be the way I would go. Even with this free flowing, high compression engine, the blower would of been way out of it's own efficiency range long ago. I know you were just quoting the manufacturers specs, but everyone and their mothers know that the P1SC is better suited for quite a bit less than that.

My fault for making you take my post too literal. Just me being a smart ass. Of course these would make a nice little street blower. But as things progress with this engine, big power will have to look at much bigger units.
I understand that they have to start with the entry level blowers, but you watch, it'll probably be less than 6 months before they start offering an F1 system lol.

woodywagon2004

Established Member
ok ill throw in my 2 cents to this... since i live in kc and had some free time today i stopped by procharger today to check out the cars.. these pics dont do it justice.. this kit looks MUCH better in person then the photos make it look. so... as you can imagine i just couldnt keep from doing it..... next week my tuner is picking up the kit for me and installing it. :banana::banana:

i will of course take pics and post numbers.... im very excited.

did u happen to see the california special while you where there? that car is a buddy of mines he actually just tore it apart to paint for SEMA this year.

imo the procharger looks better. i have riden in his car and it produces some power. i loved it!

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Cute setups for sure. But neither one is enough blower for this engine.

Are you kidding?? my car made 528 on pump gas with a very nice and conservative tune through an auto! That = 660 Crank HP!!!!!

How much more you need?? More, then put on a smaller pulley or crank it up! How bout upper 600's with an aggressive tune through a stick on the same pulley!

good options but i would still prefer a twin screw.

Why?

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Probably for more average power.

really? Here is the dyno graph on a stick car of the whipple

attachment.php

here is my auto car with the vortech, looks like the 5.0 seems to really like the centrifical blower!

average power seems very similar, no torque drop at all, both seem to make good power

vortechdyno.jpg

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
really? Here is the dyno graph on a stick car of the whipple

attachment.php

here is my auto car with the vortech, looks like the 5.0 seems to really like the centrifical blower!

average power seems very similar, no torque drop at all, both seem to make good power

vortechdyno.jpg
I don't know all the variables between those two dyno sheets, but look at the power and torque at 3800 rpm on both graphs, the the whipple is killing the centri. Average power doesn't look that similar to me. Was the Whipple on 9#'s also?

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I don't know all the variables between those two dyno sheets, but look at the power and torque at 3800 rpm on both graphs, the the whipple is killing the centri. Average power doesn't look that similar to me. Was the Whipple on 9#'s also?

so, at the track or on the street when your wide open throttle, you think you are shifting in at 3800 rpms?

i'll tell you what, you take that whipple car, and set it up to shift where it comes in @ 3800 we'll race for pinks,

these are high revving motors. i didn't see where the shifts are coming in, but if i had to guess, they will be coming in somewhere close to 5k

Users who are viewing this thread