NEW "R" Model

TFStang

Established Member
I consider the new 2016 Shelby GT350R a continuation of the R series as much as the Boss Laguna Seca, 86 SVO with the competition delete package (which wasn't really a delete package as much as deleting standard items such as rear seat, radio, etc... And not selecting the weight adding items), and the original Shelby GT350R.

Huh????

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
93, 95, 00 Cobra R's were created by svt, as a limited edition track oriented car. The 350r based on preliminary info (minus production numbers), is in this same spirit. Yes svt name is dead, continuing as Ford Performance, but basically it's an svt project.

Svo cars I think stand on their own, not in the R family.

Boss cars were very different, these were developed by the mustang team, nothing to do with svt.

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
Like it was stated before--this car pays tribute to the original GT350R in 1965--this is the 50th anniversary. I understand it has an "R" in the name but if you want to split hairs the Shelby's used the letter first........either way it will be a great car, would love to get one.

oregon87

Established Member
only if it is a one year low volume, 200-300 cars, will I consider it part of the R series. that's just me.

That and all of the "R" efforts to lighten the car can be optioned back into a GT350R. While I love the exclusivity of our 00Rs, I applaud Ford for producing such a unique car like the 350R. I personally enjoy the stripped down nature of the original 3.

flattrack53

Established Member
Like it was stated before--this car pays tribute to the original GT350R in 1965--this is the 50th anniversary. I understand it has an "R" in the name but if you want to split hairs the Shelby's used the letter first........either way it will be a great car, would love to get one.

You should buy one... You can tribute it to your 1966

bret a ewing

Established Member
My appologies folks. I should have been more concise with my initial thread opener. Exuberation got the best of me.

After the 1965 SGT350R whether you consider subsequent "R" model Mustangs to be direct descendants or distant relatives, Ford DNA is present. So is the philosophy. The R-cars are serious purpose-built sports cars not meant for general consumption. The "Racers Only" '95 drives the point home.
So I will embrace the "New R" as one of our own. Time will tell if the rest of the world feels the same.......................

Best, Bret.

Bill, thanks for the kind words.:)

Last edited:

nmp1

Established Member
If by saying there will be a 2016 R you mean a GT350R I think that's a little different. though it shares similar DNA to the other three it's more like a cousin to it rather than a younger brother.

Users who are viewing this thread