New Rig: 2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee L

venmos1

Established Member
do they still call for 20w for oil in the 5.7L? ditch that and go 30W. i had a 14 ram that was dealer maintained. when i bought it (used with around 55K) it had a tick. i switched to redline 5w30 and royal purple oil filter. after 1400 miles tick went away. I sent every oil change out for analysis. when i traded it in at around 80k miles oil analysis were telling me i was good for 10k mile oci. most i ever went was 8500mi. was active on a few forums back then and many saw the same results. too thin oil. also, dont let them hot idle long.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hard to remember exactly but they were typically a few years old at that point so I would say 60k miles and greater. Had a couple 3.6 Grand Cherokees and Cherokees that ate up camshafts as well. From what I have seen the problems arise in the valvetrain and there were documented problems, but some of these issues are over 5 years old at this point so some of these issues should have been addressed by now.

They do have bad reputations among shops, and some shops won't even work on them, but it's not like every Jeep or Chrysler experiences is guaranteed to have issues, and you know there are tons of people who simply just dont take care of their vehicle maintenance. The best thing you can do is keep up on the maintenance and just be observant of any ticking or odd engine noises if they pop up. If I hear an engine tick on an FCA motor I'm going to assume the worst is coming.

Great info. Much appreciated. Thank you.

do they still call for 20w for oil in the 5.7L? ditch that and go 30W. i had a 14 ram that was dealer maintained. when i bought it (used with around 55K) it had a tick. i switched to redline 5w30 and royal purple oil filter. after 1400 miles tick went away. I sent every oil change out for analysis. when i traded it in at around 80k miles oil analysis were telling me i was good for 10k mile oci. most i ever went was 8500mi. was active on a few forums back then and many saw the same results. too thin oil. also, dont let them hot idle long.

Also great info. I may do the maintenance on this myself. So will definitely do the 30W oil.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Hard to remember exactly but they were typically a few years old at that point so I would say 60k miles and greater. Had a couple 3.6 Grand Cherokees and Cherokees that ate up camshafts as well. From what I have seen the problems arise in the valvetrain and there were documented problems, but some of these issues are over 5 years old at this point so some of these issues should have been addressed by now.

They do have bad reputations among shops, and some shops won't even work on them, but it's not like every Jeep or Chrysler experiences is guaranteed to have issues, and you know there are tons of people who simply just dont take care of their vehicle maintenance. The best thing you can do is keep up on the maintenance and just be observant of any ticking or odd engine noises if they pop up. If I hear an engine tick on an FCA motor I'm going to assume the worst is coming.
BIL has a 2013 GC w/ the 3.6 Pentastar V6 that has the recall for the rods separating. His has gone 130k miles so far without the V6 exploding so that is a win in his book. He also got lucky with his Fiesta SE and the idiot transmission.

Worst truck ive seen though. Recalls for almost every everything(electrical/powertrain/braking/suspension) with the "fire may happen" clause written into each and every one of them. Stupidest one he had was the sunvisor light causing the car to burn to the ground at random...

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
BIL has a 2013 GC w/ the 3.6 Pentastar V6 that has the recall for the rods separating. His has gone 130k miles so far without the V6 exploding so that is a win in his book. He also got lucky with his Fiesta SE and the idiot transmission.
Come again? I'd say that's a big one.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Here's a good walk-around video showcasing the GC L Summit Reserve. I see that it has dark trim vs. the regular chrome. Nice touch!

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Come again? I'd say that's a big one.
Ill see if i can find it or if he has the recall notice still.

Bunch of bad rod bolts put into production engines. They would stretch and grenade the engine at any time they felt so. So they covered i believe a certain timeframe build 2013 Grand Cherokee trucks with the 3.6 Pentastar for up to 10yr/150k miles.

The two years after, 2014-2015, had bad rockers from the factory causing all kinds of hell. There was a class action lawsuit on that one which was partly settled.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
^^^^^^^

Although I shouldn't, I'm always in disbelief when a CLA is due to something as serious as what you mentioned. It reminds me of the Hyundai debacle with the theta engines or the b.s. with the cam sprockets on the 96-99 SHO that NOTHING was ever done.

I guess a great car.

You are a 20 Year Member here. Congratulations.
Do we get a watch or something else at 20 years?

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I guess a great car.

You are a 20 Year Member here. Congratulations.
Thank you for the recognition.

I remember when I joined. I had lost touch with the car scene a bit. My wife and I, newlyweds, lived just outside Irvine CA. I had just gotten my first company car (2002 Pontiac Grand Prix) and we didn’t need three vehicles. So we took our 4Runner and Mini Cooper to a local Ford Dealership in Rancho Cucamonga. Traded both in for a 2003 Cobra in redfire. Daily driver for the wife. lol. At about 4000 miles I got the itch and started doing research on pulleys and exhaust. By 6000 we were at the dyno with an 8 lbs lower, long tube headers, off-road exhaust, Borla stingers, and Predator tuner. Still was my wife’s daily. lol. Had many fun races with that car.

Happy Thanksgiving y’all!!!

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Ill see if i can find it or if he has the recall notice still.

Bunch of bad rod bolts put into production engines. They would stretch and grenade the engine at any time they felt so. So they covered i believe a certain timeframe build 2013 Grand Cherokee trucks with the 3.6 Pentastar for up to 10yr/150k miles.

The two years after, 2014-2015, had bad rockers from the factory causing all kinds of hell. There was a class action lawsuit on that one which was partly settled.

The 14-15 were the ones I had to deal with. Had a G Cherokee and a Cherokee in at the same time, both with 3.6s. The Cherokee has the rocker issue which we followed FCA's guidelines on repairing and installed a new head. On test drive after fixing it the tech heard a loud noise and things stopped working. We pulled it apart and the camshaft had snapped in 4 places at the end where the phasers are. What we assume happened was that shavings from the prior factory failure that caused the roller to get shredded had clogged the oil passage and on the test drive there was no oil for the camshaft and it seized and destroyed everything. Ended up getting a new motor on the house.

The G Cherokee with the 3.6 had overheated and the cooling system was full of milkshake sludge so the customer paid for a new motor. We put a reman LKQ motor in with all new cooling system components since we weren't confident about flushing it, and the customer comes back a week later saying the engine is overheating. We tested it and couldn't get it to overheat so we gave it back and the customer comes back again and it's overheating. This was years ago so I don't remember everything but I remember seeing proof it was getting hot but we couldn't recreate the conditions. Luckily the customer just traded it in for a Subaru right after.

Both of those Jeeps were in at the same time with both being disastrous results that seemed out of our control at the time. Working with other techs later on I feel like more probably could have been done, but these techs were still ASE certified.

Users who are viewing this thread