New setup for the track

BadAzztt

Established Member
So I went to the track a couple months ago and couldn't get traction at all. Nitto NT555R might as well be regular street tires on this car. Was getting 2.2 60ft, lots of spin and some hop. I had already done all of the IRS upgrades, MM IRS bushings, Aluminum diff bushings and delrin everywhere else & a diff brace.

I thought about going the easy route and just bolting up some slicks and calling it good. Easy has never seemed to be the path I choose. Instead I sent my 18x10 wheels out to be widened to 18x11 and put on some MT 345/35-18 ET street 2's. The car is lowered and heavy with a rollbar so doesn't transfer weight well. I also decided to install some single adjustable strange shocks up front with UPR coilovers and some viking double adjustable in the rear (already had Eibach pro springs cut 3/4 coil). I wanted to see what it can do in true street trim.

The first couple launches I set the rear shocks mid way and the front full loose and was able to get consistent 1.8 60 ( worst 60 was 1.836) after dialing in the rear shocks I was able to get down to 1.73 after a few passes. I think on a better night and some time it has 1.6-1.65 60 fts in it. Keep in mind this is on a stock clutch, IRS and 3905lb race weight, lowered in full street trim. Anyone considering the viking double adjustable a I would highly recommend them. After all I did to the IRS these are what seemed to truly fix the hop issues. What's better is even though I am lowered and have huge tires with a couple small tweaks it rides better than stock! That's a rare thing when you go faster and ride better. Just thought I'd share in case others are considering.

Last edited:

BadAzztt

Established Member
It was hot day, mid 90's with a DA of 8747 so not as good as I had hoped. [email protected]. Once I hit the 1.73 60 ft it was heat soaked and the meth wasn't activating up top so I lost MPH and went 11.906@119. I was up 2 MPH at the 8th though. As it sits I think it has 11.5-6 in it up here on a good night.

Tractionless1

Established Member
345's are killing torque. I noticed it when going from 26's to 28's on shake down runs before spraying (when I'll really need 28's). Glad you liked your Vikings, I've yet to try them at the track but they are loads better than QA1's on the street. From what I hear the 1st versions of those tires are more prone to hook than the 2's.

BadAzztt

Established Member
345's are killing torque. I noticed it when going from 26's to 28's on shake down runs before spraying (when I'll really need 28's). Glad you liked your Vikings, I've yet to try them at the track but they are loads better than QA1's on the street. From what I hear the 1st versions of those tires are more prone to hook than the 2's.

Yeah, I know the 27.5" height may hurt torque a bit but I needed them for the rpm and traction, I'm running 4.30's so I was pushing the limiter in 4th and even shifting to 5th at times on the 26". Now I'm right on the shift light in the traps and have some room for MPH while on the bottle. I'm hoping to be at or around 130 MPH on the spray.

Users who are viewing this thread