New Shelby Owner. Glad I found this forum.

Ducati00

Established Member
Hello everyone. Just thought I'd quickly introduce myself. Recently bought a 2011 Shelby with 17k miles on it. I've been wanting a 2011/2012 Shelby for years. Finally had enough saved to buy the car outright. I truly love owning this car already. It is so much fun to drive. This is my second mustang. I also have a 2000 GT. Glad to finally be in this club of owning a Shelby.

The car is completely stock other than a CAI and aftermarket mufflers and some suspension work done.

Please let me know what tasteful mods you guys would recommend I consider.

So far, here's what I am thinking about doing:
  1. Replacing the taillights with the 2013 style.
  2. The exhaust is flowmaster outlaw axelbacks. I'm not a fan. They are too loud imo. So I am looking for suggestions on what exhaust to change it to. If its going to be that loud, I want it to at least sound better. To me, the outlaw flowmasters sound like garbage.
  3. I am toying around with having the stripes put on it from bigworm. Car is black, attached a picture. What color stripes do you guys think look best?
    1. I like the flat matte black stripes but worry about waxing/cleaning the car.
    2. I think Gold would be good and nice homage to the old school GT500's.
    3. Otherwise, may go with a very dark gray but open to other ideas too.
  4. Any other mods I should be thinking about? I am open to ideas. Not planning to go crazy but would be open to tasteful ideas that keep the stock feel/look.
  5. At some point down the road, I know I'll do the trinity sc upgrade. I have no interest in going to a bigger blower than that. The car will be fast enough for what I use it for. I'll most likely have this car the rest of my life. Will drive it to work from time to time. Other than that will cruise and go to car shows.

Attachments

• PXL_20230804_174444719.jpg
    PXL_20230804_174444719.jpg
    458.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Welcome to the SVTP forum and the Shelby GT500 club! Personally im a big fan of leaving exterior parts to our period correct Shelby's. Simple upgrades could be oil catch cans, (Smaller diameter upper pulley) and cold air intake upgrade. I recommend maybe listening to some YouTube video clips of differnt exhaust setups that you might like. Im personally a Borla exhaust fan!

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Nice color! I have black with the black stripes. I really like that combination. For the stripes, I wax them with the same product as the paint. I use Meguiars products, and have had great success with their Ultimate Quik Detail.

As far as other mods, I would definitely do all the cooling mods (170F thermostat, dual fan heat exchanger, 3x size heat exchanger reservoir), a set of lowering springs and camber plates, MGW shifter, lower control arms. For power I would go 2.6" pulley, and a tune. Tires make this car more enjoyable, so as sticky of a tire you want to run on.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Congrats & good luck with the 11.
Mods - only limit is your wallet, plenty of pics / info on this site, good luck..

HKusp

Established Member
Congratulations on the new to you ride and "joining the club". I agree with the suggestions above, especially the heat exchanger and fans part, but I would expand your thinking a tiny bit on the blower upgrade. The stock TVS upgrade from a 13/14 is a good one for sure, but they are getting harder to find and more and more expensive. If, in your searching you happen to see a VMP Gen2R for sale, grab it. It's the same size as a 13/14 TVS (2.3 liters, up from the 2.1 of the stock Eaton), but a bit more efficient and makes more power. Once you get used to the stock power, you are really going to want more, and that blower upgrade is a nice one. Just a thought.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Welcome

Here is my thread when I had my 2011.
Went from bone stock to 725rwhp in 4 days.
Nothing extreme, just simple bolt ons to give you an idea of what to spend your money on.

Last edited:

850SNCobra

Established Member
Alright, since no one else caught it, why are the snake badges backwards?

Also, look into the Borla Touring exhaust. It's very common for the ones who don't want a really loud exhaust but also hate how quiet the car is stock.

FirstTexan

Established Member
Hello everyone. Just thought I'd quickly introduce myself. Recently bought a 2011 Shelby with 17k miles on it. I've been wanting a 2011/2012 Shelby for years. Finally had enough saved to buy the car outright. I truly love owning this car already. It is so much fun to drive. This is my second mustang. I also have a 2000 GT. Glad to finally be in this club of owning a Shelby.

The car is completely stock other than a CAI and aftermarket mufflers and some suspension work done.

Please let me know what tasteful mods you guys would recommend I consider.

So far, here's what I am thinking about doing:
  1. Replacing the taillights with the 2013 style.
  2. The exhaust is flowmaster outlaw axelbacks. I'm not a fan. They are too loud imo. So I am looking for suggestions on what exhaust to change it to. If its going to be that loud, I want it to at least sound better. To me, the outlaw flowmasters sound like garbage.
  3. I am toying around with having the stripes put on it from bigworm. Car is black, attached a picture. What color stripes do you guys think look best?
    1. I like the flat matte black stripes but worry about waxing/cleaning the car.
    2. I think Gold would be good and nice homage to the old school GT500's.
    3. Otherwise, may go with a very dark gray but open to other ideas too.
  4. Any other mods I should be thinking about? I am open to ideas. Not planning to go crazy but would be open to tasteful ideas that keep the stock feel/look.
  5. At some point down the road, I know I'll do the trinity sc upgrade. I have no interest in going to a bigger blower than that. The car will be fast enough for what I use it for. I'll most likely have this car the rest of my life. Will drive it to work from time to time. Other than that will cruise and go to car shows.
Big worm stripes are great. But stay away from gloss. They ALL have terrible orange peel. No matter the brand. I just bought a 2011 GT500 with 5k miles. I have had a 2013 in the past. They are both are so damn fast. Speed mods are the last thing on my mind. I do like the idea of a better heat exchanger and a move to 6 piston Brembo's up front and a nice set of forged wheels.

LS WUT

Established Member
Alright, since no one else caught it, why are the snake badges backwards?

Also, look into the Borla Touring exhaust. It's very common for the ones who don't want a really loud exhaust but also hate how quiet the car is stock.
Hot damn, that’s a good catch. I didn’t look at the photo until you mentioned it.

LS WUT

Established Member
Welcome to SVTPerformance bud! You’ll find yourself wanting to spend more and more money when you view others past threads, and build combo’s. This is for sure the place we would love to help you spend your money. I’d say as for mods doing the 13/14 tail lights Is a new and nice addition, hated the 10/12 tail lights. As stated above by @Vinnie_B a lot of purists would prefer others not, however we respect all builds. Also depending on where you live I’d say for sure doing a 170 thermostat, a nice heat exchanger with fans, a pan hard bar, after the supercharger upgrade giving yourself an intake so you can hear the whine is for sure needed. I’d suggest for a nice tone, some 13/14 stock mufflers. I enjoyed mine for 2 days with the resonator delete factory. However now I’ve got Corsa Xtreme’s, I like loud so don’t listen to me there!

Ducati00

Established Member
Congratulations on the new to you ride and "joining the club". I agree with the suggestions above, especially the heat exchanger and fans part, but I would expand your thinking a tiny bit on the blower upgrade. The stock TVS upgrade from a 13/14 is a good one for sure, but they are getting harder to find and more and more expensive. If, in your searching you happen to see a VMP Gen2R for sale, grab it. It's the same size as a 13/14 TVS (2.3 liters, up from the 2.1 of the stock Eaton), but a bit more efficient and makes more power. Once you get used to the stock power, you are really going to want more, and that blower upgrade is a nice one. Just a thought.
Just curious, what do the TVS blowers typically sell for? I found one for sale with 30k miles for $2k with the throttle body and elbow.

Ducati00

Established Member
Nice color! I have black with the black stripes. I really like that combination. For the stripes, I wax them with the same product as the paint. I use Meguiars products, and have had great success with their Ultimate Quik Detail.

As far as other mods, I would definitely do all the cooling mods (170F thermostat, dual fan heat exchanger, 3x size heat exchanger reservoir), a set of lowering springs and camber plates, MGW shifter, lower control arms. For power I would go 2.6" pulley, and a tune. Tires make this car more enjoyable, so as sticky of a tire you want to run on.
Which black stripes do you have? The matte black? Is it an issue cleaning it? Can you share a picture? I keep reading the matte black is a pain to wax the car and avoid getting any wax on the stripes.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Just curious, what do the TVS blowers typically sell for? I found one for sale with 30k miles for $2k with the throttle body and elbow.
If your talking a 13/14 factory blower?
You just need the inlet and blower.
Won't need the factory throttle body because your gonna want a 65mm or 67mm for a street car. (Vmp or Ford Racing)

When buying a used blower, I would not buy it without verification of hearing it run at higher RPMS like 5k-6k rpms. Why?

Simply hand turning to show there are no unusual sounds doesn't expose bad bearings. In some instances you won't know until youve installed it, and than spun it up in the higher RPMs.

So whats it worth? All depends what fuel was ran, how much boost etc. $1800.00.

There are somethings I will not buy used and cut corners on; a blower is one of them.
I'll spend the extra money for piece if mind and go new all week long.

VMP Gen3R

Last edited:

HKusp

Established Member
That is a decent deal. EVERYTHING has gone up these days. You will get a minimum 130whp out of that, a set of injectors, a couple of Ti274 pumps and good tune. Lots of bang for the buck.

Ducati00

Established Member
My only guess would be on the positive side that took it off for a ceramic coat maybe? Worst case maybe there was an incident with that fender perhaps?
Ah yes, didn't realize they had to remove them for that. The car has a ceramic coat.

Ducati00

Established Member
If your talking a 13/14 factory blower?
You just need the inlet and blower.
Won't need the factory throttle body because your gonna want a 65mm or 67mm for a street car. (Vmp or Ford Racing)

When buying a used blower, I would not buy it without verification of hearing it run at higher RPMS like 5k-6k rpms. Why?

Simply hand turning to show there are no unusual sounds doesn't expose bad bearings. In some instances you won't know until youve installed it, and than spun it up in the higher RPMs.

So whats it worth? All depends what fuel was ran, how much boost etc. $1800.00.

There are somethings I will not buy used and cut corners on; a blower is one of them.
I'll spend the extra money for piece if mind and go new all week long.

VMP Gen3R

Good advice. Thank you.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I have the factory matte black stripes. I have only used Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer on them. Using a paste wax, or any product that leaves a residue (white or yellow) would not be recommended. In the beginning, I was concerned about using anything, but that Meguiars UQD really works perfectly, leaves no residue, and keeps their matte appearance.

People have looked at my car and not even noticed the stripes! They almost look like ghost stripes, and get a reaction when you point them out to those that missed them. Also, I wanted an all black interior, and didn't want the seats striped. So that's another benefit. Keeping the car clean, has been no problem! Everyone told me I was crazy for wanting a black car, but NO REGRETS here !!
Which black stripes do you have? The matte black? Is it an issue cleaning it? Can you share a picture? I keep reading the matte black is a pain to wax the car and avoid getting any wax on the stripes.
35IMG_7383.JPG

IMG_1031scale.JPG

45IMG_7265.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread