New Splitter, can't get it on trailer

Kartracer

Established Member
Hey Guys,
I need help, like the title says I installed a splitter and can't get it on the trailer now. I drove up on 2 2x6's on each side and bought 8' ramps, then I put more wood under the ramps and it still hits, and of course kind of screwed up the splitter.
I think the only thing left to do other than remove the splitter, is to get a much better trailer jack and jack the heck out of the trailer. Has anyone else had to do this, if so do you do it with the trailer still hooked up to the truck, does anyone have any suggestions on a trailer jack?

I appreciate the help.

darreng505

Established Member
Gonna need some race ramps or assist ramps that are longer.

I'm about to put the 2012 Boss LS front splitter on and am worrying about the same thing.
Simple calculation to find the lowest ascent it can accept though. Just a couple measurements.

Assist Ramps | PitProducts
921_4_large.jpg

Kartracer

Established Member
Hey Darren, thank you, that me be an option but I would have 12 feet in ramps by the time I added these to what I already have.
Can anyone make some suggestions on a long travel heavy duty jack that they recommend? I never thought there would be so many options.

WPBcobra

Established Member
I have the same problem with my race car. I have to take off my splitter no matter what i do and i am still about a half of a inch from the ramps be for my front tires hit the ramp.
I had to have ramps made for my new open trailer.
here is a site that makes ramps to help you out. http://www.raceramps.com/

Last edited:

Kartracer

Established Member
Thank you for the suggestions, I did not make it removable because it seemed like it would be a huge pain with brake ducts and having to remove at the beginning and end of the weekend, of course I thought be able to get it on the trailer with my new 8' ramps. I am considering the race ramps.

Sirl

Established Member
Funny time for this to pop up!!!
I'm in the Foam business, and just made them up for a friend... (ahem.. WPBCobra)

These are made from 3lb Expanded Polystyrene and then sprayed with a "tough coat"
They are tough as nails!! (60psi to be exact). I had a set I used to use also, very strong. These are 8ft. and go from 1 inch to 8 inch, iirc.

EPSRamps.gif

darreng505

Established Member
Funny time for this to pop up!!!
I'm in the Foam business, and just made them up for a friend... (ahem.. WPBCobra)

These are made from 3lb Expanded Polystyrene and then sprayed with a "tough coat"
They are tough as nails!! (60psi to be exact). I had a set I used to use also, very strong. These are 8ft. and go from 1 inch to 8 inch, iirc.

EPSRamps.gif

You taking orders Mitch?

Sirl

Established Member
Wish I could!!

Search for a local Architectural Foam company. They could make them up for you.
But I think the real Race Ramps are a better bet.

Kartracer

Established Member
Thanks guys, I will probably go with the race ramps, I spoke with them and they were very helpful. I am trying to upload some pics to photobucket but I am not having much luck.

gilby959798

Wyatt's daddy!
Established Member
I have a set of race ramps and couldn't be happier. I got my brother in laws vette on the trailer no problems and a buddy's very low mark viii. And they are light as Heck too

racebronco2

Established Member
What i have to do is to back my expedition on some car ramps and i made some 6" ramps to put under my 4 ft ramps. I might try and use dzus fasteners. That's not even with the splitter on.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Race ramps will be a huge help. Also the position of your truck and trailer on selected terrain will make a difference. Anything you can do to raise the nose of the trailer to drop the rear of the trailer will help. Sometimes you can use your electric or hand winch jack on the front of the trailer depending on what kind of vehicle you are towing with.

Getting in the trailer is only your first battle. Your second battle is going to be tying down the car once it's in the hauler. I use a 3' long piece of flat stock aluminum as a 'handling stick' to hook my tie down straps to the car.

Hope that helps.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Kartracer

Established Member
Thanks everyone, I will send an update once they arrive and I get a chance to use them.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Another option I didn't see mentioned is to make some u shaped spacers out of wood for the front end that's if you have coil overs on the car.

You can jack the front end up slip the spacers under the front coil over springs and gain an inch or two of clearance at the nose. Get to the track unload the car and remove the spacers.

Kartracer

Established Member
Just an update everyone, I went with the 5 foot long and 5 inch tall race ramps and they worked great. I spoke with the guys at Race Ramps and they even saved me some money by telling me if I bought them at amazon it would save my a few dollars but I would get free shipping.
If I ever get my photobucket figured out I will get some pics of the splitter and the ramps.

David Hester

Established Member
Hate to mention it now, but like racebronco said, has anyone considered just backing their rear truck tires up on blocks to lower the rear of their trailer? That and a 12volt wench works for me.

Last edited:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Another tip I found after struggling to get the strap over the k member from under the bumper cover in front of the tire.

Reach in from behind the tire, it's rediculous how much closer and easier it was to get the strap looped through the k member.

I should mention that I use tie down straps that I loop through the mm k member then I attach my ratchet strap hook to the strap that's looped through the k member.

Users who are viewing this thread