New springs = poor handling

schropper

Established Member
Lowered my car and took it for a test drive and the front end has massive understeer. Front end is all over the place. Is this why everyone says you need new cc plates? Help!

BelvedereGTX

Banned
schropper said:
Vogtland. Made in Germany.
i never heard of those. I never heard of anyone having problems with any springs. I never ran cc plates with eibach pro kit. i got a 1.5 inch drop in the front and the alignment was right on the limits but was to spec. Unless your car is slammed i would expect this. something doesnt seem right dude. Did you get over a 2 inch drop or something?

schropper

Established Member
I have a 1" drop and the car steers perfectly straight. But, when you put some turn to it, it seems like the front end is floating. Just google Vogtland.

BelvedereGTX

Banned
schropper said:
I have a 1" drop and the car steers perfectly straight. But, when you put some turn to it, it seems like the front end is floating. Just google Vogtland.
1 inch drop doesn not require cc plates. If your tires are extremely bald that could be partial the problem. A 1 inch drop will not affect anything. Maybe somebody screwed something up in other components during the install

schropper

Established Member
I went and talked with Les Schwab and told them my problem. I also told them I put new half shafts and IRS bushings in. He said since I had the whole IRS dropped that It definately was the alignment.

1svtfan

Shaken, not stirred
Established Member
schropper said:
Lowered my car and took it for a test drive and the front end has massive understeer. Front end is all over the place. Is this why everyone says you need new cc plates? Help!

Whats the spring rate? Your factory struts might not be up to the task, or just worn... Just a thought.

When you say your car goes all over the place is this happening over bad patches of road or potholes or crappy uneven roads? If so you have a real bumpsteer issue. You'll need adjustable tie rods. When you're lowering a car you are more than likely going to need bumpsteer tie rods, the Steeda X2 ball joint and caster camber plates.

schropper

Established Member
It happens on normal road conditions. But, I test drove my car after installing only the front springs and did not have this problem. So, I think it has to with the back being mis aligned after the irs was dropped.
I hate to say this, but I have no Idea what my spring rate is.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
hard springs + slammed to the ground == mustang that handles like crap

are your control arms parallel or angled upwards toward the ball joint? if they're angled upwards then your front roll center height is probably below the surface of the pavement...

the car already understeered like a pig to begin with so i can only surmise that the rear spring rate is too high. try disconnecting one of the rear antiroll bar links and see if that doesnt help

GtownMACH

smoke tires, not drugs
Established Member
its not the brand of springs thats the problem.. vogtlands spank all other brands. Theyre actually made in house, and right. Not by one mfg like eibachs, steeda, etc.

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
Anyone else have any commentary about Vogtland springs? I'm trying to find out a bit more about them but am not having any real luck thus far. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread