New springs = poor handling

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
TheFleshRocket said:
Anyone else have any commentary about Vogtland springs? I'm trying to find out a bit more about them but am not having any real luck thus far. Thanks!

From what I remember, they make springs for NASCAR. But who cares, why not just stick with the normal brands who are mustang tried and true. Eibach and H&R make great springs.

Get the H&R race or Eibach pro kit and never look back.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Hopefully it's just your IRS alignment. I did a search on Vogtland and found this site...http://www.partshopper.com/shop/Vogtland-Performance-Street-Springs-m353.html

Note the Cobra IRS spring rates listed...

Mustang Cobra IRS

Rates:

· Front: 400 lb./in. – 740 lb./in. working range 500 – 720 lb./in.

· Rear: 275 lb./in. – 714 lb./in. working range 450 – 700 lb./in.

That's some strange progressive rates for Terminator....could be the problem. Stockers are 600 lb/in f/r.

schropper

Established Member
The problem turned out to be my half shafts. I installed DSS level 5. The hub was the "old style". That means it would not tighten all the way? So, the back end was just floating around. I told Frank @ DSS about the problem and he was very apologetic and had the new hubs shipped immediately. So it wasn't the springs at all. Now the car handles great with no alignment at all. I'd have to give Vogtland:thumbsup: :thumbsup: and would recommend them to my other svtr's

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
Got any pics with the Vogtland springs on the car?

How does the car handle compared to stock? Is there much dive or squat under braking or acceleration?

Which specific Vogtland kit did you get?

schropper

Established Member
TheFleshRocket said:
Got any pics with the Vogtland springs on the car?

How does the car handle compared to stock? Is there much dive or squat under braking or acceleration?

Which specific Vogtland kit did you get?

I was told the kit I bought was specific to 03, 04 vert cobras.
I only drove it about 10 miles to make sure my driveshaft problem was gone for sure. But during that drive It did handle really nice. Definately less dive under braking than the stock springs. I'll post some pics of the car when I get it running again. I'm putting my BAP in this weekend. That will conclude the winter mods: Spring, shafts, whipple. :rockon:

04BLACKBLADE

99 Cobra
Established Member
Sounds like you need the FMS extended ball joints to correct the steering geometry. I left the spacers that came with the ball joints out to give an additional .5 drop in the front and correct the steering. Hotchkis Caster camber plates are very nice pieces and help get it all aligned properly. Do not use the offset rack bushings unless you have installed a tubular K member.....they actually cause bump steer.

Last edited:

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
sunburned said:
Get the H&R race or Eibach pro kit and never look back.

I'm not doing Eibach. My '04 has the 3590s on it (for the '99-'01 Cobras), put on by a previous owner. Since Eibach apparently initially marketed the 3590s for all models of Cobra and later changed to offer the 3594s for the '03-'04 models, I'm kinda salty with Eibach for selling the wrong springs. The only way I'd go with Eibachs is if I could send them my 3590s and they'd exchange them for 3594s.

Regarding the H&R race springs, I'm have been considering them but am wary that other spring manufacturers list separate springs for the earlier and later model Cobras, whereas H&R lists the same kit for all Cobra models. I don't want to run into another issue like I did with my 3590s.

That's why I'm somewhat interested in the Vogtlands as an alternative. I can't wait to see pics! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread