New steeda rear x brace,would it be beneficial with coil overs?

bloomy63

Established Member
I'm in the process of installing rear coil overs on my car, and I've always questioned if the shock mount is capable of supporting the full weight of the car. I don't know of any failures, but I'm sure some sort of reinforcement wouldn't hurt it either.

Coincidentally, yesterday I got an email from steeda about their new rear x brace that attaches to the top of the shock mount, and retains the rear seat. It looks like it would help stiffen up the rear shock mounting area, just what I'm looking for. I have an email into them to see if I can retain the shaker 1000 system with this brace too.

I wanted to get some opinions if this type of bracing would be beneficial, especially with coil overs, or if it's not worth it.

Here's the brace I'm talking about:
Steeda 2005-14 Mustang Rear Chassis X-Brace - Made in USA 555-5093

What do you guys think?

LT5

Established Member
Nice, it retains the seat.

Probably needs to be welded or at least bolted with a few stitch welds to be effective.

I can't see how the upper arms are attached , but the metal gauge in that area is thin.
The lower mounts are held in place with the rubber spacer of the shock?

Maybe I'm missing something ? Need better info from the manufacturer.

bloomy63

Established Member
Nice, it retains the seat.

Probably needs to be welded or at least bolted with a few stitch welds to be effective.

I can't see how the upper arms are attached , but the metal gauge in that area is thin.
The lower mounts are held in place with the rubber spacer of the shock?

Maybe I'm missing something ? Need better info from the manufacturer.

I guess if shocks are retained, then you would have the rubber space holding the lower attachment point in place, if it wasn't welded in place. Since I have coil overs, it would be metal on metal.

LT5

Established Member
I assume the rear coilovers are bolted to the factory shock towers utilizing rubber/poly bushings? If so, then the method of fastening would be the same.
The brace would be in contact with the body. Unfortunately the clamping force of the nut would be transmitted thru the bushing into the brace flange.

In my feeble mind not the best way to fasten a structural member.

The brace looks good and like the idea of keeping the rear seat. IMHO a few small welds in accessible areas to facilitate easy removal would help make it more effective. Similar to their rear strut tower brace install.

Again I maybe missing something. More concise mounting info from Steeda would help.

Good luck with your project.

bloomy63

Established Member
I assume the rear coilovers are bolted to the factory shock towers utilizing rubber/poly bushings? If so, then the method of fastening would be the same.
The brace would be in contact with the body. Unfortunately the clamping force of the nut would be transmitted thru the bushing into the brace flange.

In my feeble mind not the best way to fasten a structural member.

The brace looks good and like the idea of keeping the rear seat. IMHO a few small welds in accessible areas to facilitate easy removal would help make it more effective. Similar to their rear strut tower brace install.

Again I maybe missing something. More concise mounting info from Steeda would help.

Good luck with your project.

With the new coil over mount that's supplied by Griggs, the bushing (spherical joint, aka heim joint) for the shock is under the car no longer in the trunk. The coil over mount is through bolted at the factory shock location and does not have a rubber bushing, or any other type of bushing at the mounting location.

LASNAKE

Established Member
would really like here how you griggs coilovers. think about buying some my sell, are they singal or double adjustabel.

tj@steeda

Established Member
If you want the max effectiveness from the brace you have to weld it in. However a handful of people will not want it permanently mounted onto the vehicle and are more concerned about having it there for looks. Those customers can just bolt it on.

LT5

Established Member
With the new coil over mount that's supplied by Griggs, the bushing (spherical joint, aka heim joint) for the shock is under the car no longer in the trunk. The coil over mount is through bolted at the factory shock location and does not have a rubber bushing, or any other type of bushing at the mounting location.
Interesting. Thanks for the info.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
If you want the max effectiveness from the brace you have to weld it in. However a handful of people will not want it permanently mounted onto the vehicle and are more concerned about having it there for looks. Those customers can just bolt it on.

Sn95 version please! :rockon:

tj@steeda

Established Member
Our engineering and manufacturing department are always working on items ... I will provide them with your suggestion.

Best Regards,

TJ

bloomy63

Established Member
Our engineering and manufacturing department are always working on items ... I will provide them with your suggestion.

Best Regards,

TJ

TJ,

Will this brace fit in my 2008 gt500 with the shaker 1000 in the trunk?

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
That thing is moving right up the short list... Can't wait to hear some feedback on it, or maybe make some.

Anyone have any pictures of the area where the tubes mate to the mounting brackets?

Last edited:

tj@steeda

Established Member
It will not fit the shaker system.

Here are some pictures from our press release:

steeda-mustang-xbrace-installed.jpg

steeda-mustang-xbrace-installed-up1.jpg

Best Regards,

TJ

Users who are viewing this thread