New Teksid Shortblock Pic.....

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Well Dave @ Injected Racing got most of my new short block assembled. Here are the details:

'01 Cobra Teksid Aluminum Block
Stock Forged Cobra Crank
Stock Manley H-Beam rods w/ARP 2000 bolts
CP .020" over Pistons & Rings w/Tool Steel Pins
Speed-Pro Coated Race Main & Rod Bearings
ARP 2000 Head & Main Studs
MMR Oil Pump, 7QT Pan & Pickup

The block, crank, rods, and pistons have all been Cryo'd by Diversified Cryogenics. The ported heads are at the machine shop now getting fitted for the +1mm valves and a 3-angle valve job. The solid axle is in place and the car will be rolling again shortly if not already. Next up is the return style fuel system and k-member install. Then the real fun can begin with bolting the turbo system in place. You cannot believe how much time it takes to get every little detail, and the parts/pieces in place to complete a project like this. It's been a helluva a lot of fun, but the hours of time and money I have spent will make it all the sweeter when the car is done. If everything goes according to plan, you will see it at WFC 9. Not racing, but I hope to drive it there and back.

Thanks to Dave @ Injected Racing....he has been incredible to work with on this project!

shortblock1.jpg

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
"'01" Cobra Teksid Aluminum Block, now thats a pretty rare block.
I seen very few of these, very cool.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
yeasure said:
"'01" Cobra Teksid Aluminum Block, now thats a pretty rare block.
I seen very few of these, very cool.
Yeah, I didn't think they even came in some '01's until I read a thread on here with a bunch of guys stating they had a teksid and not the WAP. Last year, a bud of mine shattered the oil pump gear spraying a 150 shot on his '01 and bought a new Mach 1 engine to replace it. So I go look at his 28,000 mile engine and lo and behold, the beauty of a mint low mile teksid block. It was a happy day.

01killercobra

Established Member
when they did the Cryogenics was the block assembeled with pistons rods...
or do they do individual pieces? and how much does that cost if you dont mind me asking??

Last edited:

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
Why is the teksid so much better than the WAP, or the block in the 03 cobra? I know it's lighter, but what else? Why would ford go to the WAP?

Blown02

Established Member
Anyone know how to tell or is there a number I can look at to see if my forged 01 cobra motor has a teksid or WAP block..??

thanks

Blown02

Established Member
8URZ-28 said:
I was told by a couple builders running stock rods at hp levels above 650+ was not to safe.

are you talking about 03-04 cobra rods? or gt's and 99-01 cobras?? of course the gt's and 99-01 cobras rods cant handle it.. the 03-04 cobras have manley h beams.. if your talking about 03-04 cobras, I wouldnt be worried about the rods, maybe pistons...

Last edited:

Sharkster

Established Member
Blown02 said:
Anyone know how to tell or is there a number I can look at to see if my forged 01 cobra motor has a teksid or WAP block..??

thanks
I remember seeing something about it being in the etchings under the intake. Diamonds and squares. I think the diamond pattern noted the teskid block and the squared was the WAP block.
I didnt think they made them outside of 98 and early 99s

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Blown02 said:

thanks
Look under your intake manifold with a flaslight. If you clearly see a square pattern in the center of the valley, it's a Teksid. If they are diamond shaped, it's a WAP. If you find the casting# on the side, it should be RF-XR3E-6015-CA from the '01 model year.

8URZ-28 said:
I was told by a couple builders running stock rods at hp levels above 650+ was not to safe.
As stated, the rods that come in '03/04 Cobras are Manley h-beams and much stronger than GT or Mach rods. I had mine upgraded with ARP2000 bolts and they were also cryo treated. Many say there is no way these rods will live past 1000HP, but I do not believe that. I guess we'll find out.

03gobluecobra said:
Why is the teksid so much better than the WAP, or the block in the 03 cobra? I know it's lighter, but what else? Why would ford go to the WAP?
The teksid is much stronger in the critical areas than the WAP. It really was overkill for it's application. It's also stronger than the cast iron block for the same reasons. Ford started casting their own blocks because it was cheaper, and that is the WAP block. They aren't good for much over 700hp.

Sharkster said:
I remember seeing something about it being in the etchings under the intake. Diamonds and squares. I think the diamond pattern noted the teskid block and the squared was the WAP block.
I didnt think they made them outside of 98 and early 99s
You have it backwards...just an FYI.

js3324

Established Member
How much weight are you expecting to save between the rear axle and the block up front?

Beautiful motor, and congratulations on going where few(if anyone?) has gone before.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
js3324 said:
How much weight are you expecting to save between the rear axle and the block up front?

Beautiful motor, and congratulations on going where few(if anyone?) has gone before.
Thanks man, appreciate it. The teksid block is like 70 lbs lighter than the iron block. With that, the tubular front, and solid axle, it should take about 250-300 lbs off the car.

Users who are viewing this thread