New to Drag Racing any Advice

11_Ingot5.0

Established Member
Hey everyone,

Well next Friday I decided to go with a couple of friends and drive to NJ to have some fun at the drag strip. This is my first time trying to drag race and would like to hear some advice from the pros?

My Car Specs:
2011 GT 6speed 3.73 rear/ will be running street tires(hankook Evo 12s) on Roush 20's
Ported CJ Mani
SCJ Throttle body
Drews custom 5inch CAI
lethal Off Road Hpipe and over axle pipes
borla S type
AED Tune
Aluminum 1 piece drive shaft
Steeda Proaction struts and shocks
GT500 strut mounts
Eibach Sportlines springs
J&M LCA
BMR Panhard bar
Whiteline tranny bushing
Barton 2 post bracket

How do you think my will run? What should I launch at, Tire pressure? Give me Some ADVICE Guys!!!

thanks

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
60ft is everything, shoot for anything under 2.00 on street tires, dont blow the tires off at the line, press and hold your AH/TC for 6-8 seconds to completely disengage the nannies, let your car cool down for an hour after you get there and 30 mins between each pass. check your tire pressure, oil level, try to arrive with 1/2 tank of gas, bring a video camera, dont worry about the car beside of you, might be best to go solo as often as possible to avoid any rookie mistakes. have fun!

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
If you decide you like it, pick up a set of cheap rims and get some drag radials. Fighting street tires is for the birds.

mustang john

Established Member
First thing. Sit in the stands with a friend who has experience drag racing (the more the better) and have him explain the whole deal to you, where and how to stage, what the lights mean, where is the end of the track, where are the time slips, staging lane etiquette... etc. You don't want to be "that guy" that stages on his back tires or drives off the end of the track full throttle lol. Once you have that down make your first run nice and easy then you can begin to work on driver skills.

Last edited:

11_Ingot5.0

Established Member
ok thanks what would be a good tire pressure on street tires? Also do I put the car in sport mode since it turns off traction control? I don't usually hold it down for 6-8 secs I just double tap the traction button

Last edited:

mustang john

Established Member
Street tires? 25psi is low enough, nothing to gain with them going lower. First few trips down the strip, keep trac control on. Later turn it off when you feel more confident. Ive seen more than a few nice cars put into the wall due to over confident, inexperienced drivers. No point in risking a nice ride till you feel comfortable with the car and how it runs down the track. It will be completely different than the way it is on the street.

Last edited:

helloWorld

Established Member
Just in case you didn't know, there are I believe three different traction control settings. You can find them in the owners manual.

Having the car in a non moving state and holding the button down for a bit will make the screen say "AdvanceTrac Off." That is the traction control mode where ALL nannies are turned off.

Edit: You can also have your tuner give you a tune that disables all of the nannies from the get go. I know that Shaun offers a Drag version of his AED tunes that has all of the nannies permanently disabled.

Last edited:

Prototype007

Established Member
DRIVE AROUND THE BURNOUT BOX. DO NOT DRIVE STRAIGHT THREW THE WATER IF AT ALL POSSIBLE! Even if you are going to do a burnout, drive around then just back your back tires into the water.

I absolutely hate it when someone plows threw the waterbox on street tires and just trails water up to the line. Ruins that pass and next few peoples.

Users who are viewing this thread