New to forum, seeking opinions and suggestions

madtoyz

Established Member
How's it going everyone? I was doing some research on the 2003 Cobra and ran across this site. After reading just about all of the threads from the last 20 days or so, I have a few questions that only cobra owners could answer.

Is the new cobra worth buying? I see so many people having problems with the car and it seems a little under powered for the boost it's running. Does everyone really pay 35k for a car that stalls a few times a day while trying to drive it? There are a couple cobras down at my local dealer I've been thinking about trading my current car in on. I just dont want to get something pretty to sit in the garage though, I want a car I can drive and enjoy.

Also, what is the most power you can get from this engine without ripping stuff apart? I read on one forum that a guy blew his rear end out with only 450hp.

sbc.cobra

HUWHAT!!!
Established Member
i've had mine for close to a year....had the vibe (fixed) and that's it. i love my car, but have to sell it b/c i'm taking another job. i'm here in houston also if you are looking for a used one (mineral gray w/ chrome wheels).

no stalling issues, no throw out bearing, no clunk, no tick.

i think it's worth buying. it's been a great car. i'll sell you mine and you won't even have to pay the tax on it :D only 5300 miles on it. garage kept. PM me if you're interested.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Well, I owned a '94 Camaro Z-28 (converted to a Callaway Camaro in '97) up to 2000 and thought it was a great car. Then I sold it and bought a Blazer. Last October I looked at a Cobra and got really interested. I did a lot of checking, visited three dealerships, and even test drove a black Cobra. In late November I ordered my very first Ford car and took delivery of my Cobra in late January. I have put 1,700 miles on it and have to say it is by far the best car I've ever owned. It's not perfect, but of all the cars I've had since 1968 this one is the best value for the money spent. Great power, great ride, quiet (at least until I added the X-pipe and catback) and just plain fun! I've had one issue so far -- a fog light that is too bright. That's being fixed next week. Oh, and the dealer forgot to take the red tape wrap off the accelerator pedal. He promptly took care of that for me when I went for my first oil change. I think you'll like the car!
:beer:

P.S. There are two new exterior color for the 2004 Cobra coming I think in August. Screaming Yellow and an Orange color.

Killer Cobra

Established Member
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DONT BUY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

**Edited by 03DOHC** You're pushing your luck. Knock it off.:bored: Please attempt to contribute constructively.

Go for it 03DOHC. You cant stop someone from warning people about the problems and issues!!

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You'll have to ignore Killer Cobra. He's our resident whiner and pot stirrer.
:whine:

Trust me that overall you will like the Cobra. Remember that this is a large forum so you're going to read more positive and negative comments than you might see on other forums. I have nothing to complain about. You might want to visit a couple of your local shows and cruises to see if you can talk to some '03 Cobra owners person to person.
:burnout:

sbc.cobra

HUWHAT!!!
Established Member
KILLER COBRA is a cry baby. don't listen to him. he was expecting to get a Cobra w/ all of the Mercedes/BMW comfort and features. he has issues.

Killer Cobra

Established Member
right. it's like wining the lottery. Chances are you're going to get one with a bunch of problems. Then you have to worry about bringing to ford to fix.

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by sbc.cobra
KILLER COBRA is a cry baby. don't listen to him. he was expecting to get a Cobra w/ all of the Mercedes/BMW comfort and features. he has issues.

He was also expecting several "Ricer" kits to be available. You should have sold him your VTEC before it was removed. :p

Madtoyz,

There have been issues but I have not had one that could not be fixed by Ford or myself. The only one that I really could not understand was the vibe and pull right issue as it was poor release quality at the factory. Both were fixed and it has been a great car. I have modded mine with every combination (tire/wheel/suspension/exhaust/eaton stuff) and never had an issue. It is my daily driver and I could not be happier with it. I traded in a turbo M3 and still do not regret it. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by sbc.cobra
not on mine :beer:
I absolutely love mine and wouldn't trade it for anything else (within reason - LOL!). Ford gave us a winner and I'm going to get every ounce of enjoyment out of it that I can.
:beer:

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
Read the rant from ntmechanic.

Sure, there are some problems, the platform is old. But damnit, SVT put a lot of thought in this car. The engine is amazing. Compare all the features of a Cobra to a GT and and try to upgrade a (Mustang)GT.

Show me a car with similar preformance (acceleration, braking, handling) for under $45K.

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
These cars are definitely worth it. I purchased my car in February and I have 2000 miles on my car. I havn't had any problems with my car at all. There are several people running 600 rwhp on their daily drivers with no problems. The most I have seen was a little under 800 RWHP. With stock internals and stock IRS. These cars are made for HP. I would really recommend your drive the Cobra before you make a decision. When you read this site you have to remember that if you read about 50 people having one problem, there could be 11950 that don't. Most people that don't have problems won't post threads that say "Hey my car is great and I have no problems". You are most like to see a thread that reads, "Hey, my car just stalled, what do you think I can do to fix it". This forum is here for people to share information. I won't say that these cars are perfect, but there are no perfect cars. I'm sure you have a had something recalled on at least one of your cars at one time or another. If there are issues, then I'm sure they will be fixed in time. Personally I have no problems with my car. Do some research on here and when you test drive make sure that the car doesn't exhibit any of those symptoms. Use the search button, this site has a great deal of information.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by MidLifeC
Show me a car with similar preformance (acceleration, braking, handling) for under $45K.
I agree 100%. And the majority of us probably agree as well. And to think I once swore I'd never own a Ford (being a life-long Chevy guy). I've come over to the dark side and I'm not going back. Man I love these cars!!
:burnout:

Killer Cobra

Established Member
If your coming from another domestic car then it's probably a great deal. but having a higher stand this car is not for you..

Users who are viewing this thread