New to GT500.Question on engine noise

jwd072

I just picked up my 2010 GT500 a few weeks ago. I must admit it has a ton of power. I am coming from the LSX chevy motors and know they have a lot of top end noise at idle. I noticed the other day that my GT500 has some top end noise as well. Is this normal for these motors? IT sounds like both pass and driver have some ticking come from them. Any help would be great. Thanks

camdenlake

Established Member
If its very consistent its probably injector noise. Totally normal. Get your ear as close as you can to the fuel rail. Should help you decide what it might be.

Josh

Oh and congrats on the new ride. It will be a blast.

Last edited:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
You'll hear several noises.

Seems the 2010 guys are mentioning this a little more than the 07-9 crowd though...

One noise is the injectors ticking; it's *very* faint and dainty. Plastick-y sounding.

If it's cool out you'll hear just a *little* piston slap/rod noise from the bottom end/mid-level clatter that should go away in the first 1-minute of runtime.

The Eaton also has it's own "ball bearing clatter" sometimes. Mine doesn't but I've heard some that do. If you've heard a few you can identify it pretty quickly, it's noise fits between the piston and injector noises. It's pitched right in between and generally shows up in the luke-warm range.

You also have the transmission gear noise. It gets worse when warm/hot and even more pronounced with the AC on.

Unless it's something really bad and obvious, don't bang your head against the wall chasing phantom clatters. Put louder exhaust on it and wear earplugs; all is well.

Users who are viewing this thread