New to me 99 Cobra and questions

desertt5

Established Member
Just picked up a 99 Cobra Vert to replace my wife's 02 V6 Vert that got totalled. Couple questions. It has a Kenny Brown strut brace and KB full length sub frame bars welded in. Are these stock on a Cobra?
The other mods I have foundso far a re a BBK CAI and Bassani catback with no mufflers, just baffles.

Thanks. Pics from previous owner

DSC01156.jpg

DSC01146.jpg

DSC01149.jpg

Dirty pic after trip home

DSC_0971.jpg

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
nice looking vert ... and no neither of those were stock on the 99 cobras.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
Very nice looking vert, not a big fan of chrome bullitts but other than that it looks great.

I gotta ask, what is that hose that is zip tied to the upper radiator hose?

desertt5

Established Member
Mistic - that hose is an A/C line. The compressor froze up and the PO pulled it and installed an A/C delete pulley.

Another question, is this shifter stock? The knob looks stock as well as the boot.

DSC_1037.jpg

DSC_1038.jpg

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Congrats on the '99 and welcome to the site. Lots of info here -- I recommend reading through the stickies if you haven't already.

It looks like the rear spoiler is already moved back from its stock position (a nice improvement in the looks department IMHO).

The strut tower brace isn't stock either and I'm wondering why the paint is so messed up. I've seen paint peel like that in a fire, but the rest of the motor doesn't look like it had the fire. Does your hood blanket look OK?

The shifter handle is definitely aftermarket, but it looks like your shifter is stock since the rubber dust boot doesn't look molested (I think all short throw shifters will modify the boot to get the pivot point a little higher).

And I really recommend getting rid of the 4x4 look. I cut my springs w/great results but there are several options to lower it.

And FYI on the A/C: I found a place that sent me a compressor, drier, seals, and oil for $212 shipped to my house. I installed them over a year and it's still running strong. You'll need to get the system flushed plus a gauge set and a vacuum pump but it really wasn't bad at all to replace the parts.

Good luck & have fun!!

desertt5

Established Member
3B99, Have been looking at the stickies some. Looks like the best site I have found so far for the Cobra.

The strut tower brace has a rubberized type coating on it. Where the coating is off is only surface rust. Under hood looks normal.

Was curious on the shifter. Thanks. i does feel pretty good, at least for now.

Was looking into cutting the springs already. Trying to figure out which bushings need replaced right away while I'm in there. A little warmer weather would help this happen faster.

Do you happne to remember where you got the compressor from? I know come April/May I am in the doghouse if I don't have some A/C kicking.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Do you happne to remember where you got the compressor from? I know come April/May I am in the doghouse if I don't have some A/C kicking.

I just checked eBay and didn't see it listed. I'll check for the box -- I think I still have it around somewhere.

desertt5

Established Member
I just checked eBay and didn't see it listed. I'll check for the box -- I think I still have it around somewhere.

Thanks.

Recieved my MM steering shaft today. the telescoping portionof my stock one is shot an loose.

Users who are viewing this thread