New Tranny/ Excessive Engine Noise

svt2003

Established Member
Just had the tranny replaced under warranty. 29,000 mi. A good thing, but a little concerned with the reliability/ strength of this production tranny. How many have had there trannies replaced? I don't consider myself abusive. Ford did not elaborate on the damage, just said not repairable.

Oh, buy the way, stay away from Ford of Dublin Service Dept.
I had also complained about the tick and the piston slap. I did not accompany my vehicle when it went into service (was towed in) and the "Service Advisor" called to let me know that they were diagnosing the problems. One of the diagnosis' for the excessive engine noise was that it was "3 Quarts of Oil Low and he would not do anything until the oil was changed 34.95 please."
Funny, because I had recently changed the oil ,approx. 6.5 quarts and double checked the oil before the car left. Needless to say, I went to the dealership that night. Said I forgot something in my car. and checked the oil. With my findings, I had the Service Advisor come and see the DIP STICK. Wondering where they got 3 quarts low when it was registering on the dipstick between full and min..
He called his Service Tech over find out why he said it was 3 Quarts low.
He doubled back and said that he wouldn't run this motor unless the oil level was at the max. Exaggerating how low the oil level was.

To summarize, accompany your vehicle for service repair and pay attention to what they write down as the "cause of damage"or diagnosis. If you have future problems or failures, this is documented as lack of service and will not be covered under warranty. To be cont.......

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Why was the tranny replaced to start with? What noises was it making, ect. Is the new tranny making the noise now too? Im a bit confused

svt2003

Established Member
Sorry for the confusion. At idle the engine and tranny were making excessive noise. The tranny had a squeek/ whistle at idle, throw out bearing, and was grinding and clunking (bad) when in gear, they never ellaborated on the internal damage.

Along with the transmssion, I also noted, at start up, the motor would have a rattle at the bottom end you can hear it well when in a confined area such as next to a wall or in the garage, supposedly reminiscent of piston slap/ cylinder wall clearance when cold. And the tick tick tick in the head, resonating down into the exhaust note sounding like an exhaust leak, that pre- 11/02 production '03 Cobras have had. Mine is 7/02 #756.

Now go back and read the original post.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A lot of people have had a not of problems with this tranny. I would love to know how many Ford has replaced over the past year.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
A lot of people have had a not of problems with this tranny. I would love to know how many Ford has replaced over the past year.

I can tell you they put three in mine including the original. TOB retainer sleeve every time. Then replaced the TOB sleeve the last time when the new part came out and Ford finally allowed parts replacement instead of whole tranny replacement.

I'd bet the TOB sleeve issue cost them a pretty penny, and I think some folks who haven't had issues will eventually. Probably after warranty where they will have to eat the cost.

Users who are viewing this thread