NEW VMP GEN 3 VMP 160mm throttle body problems

ozzygt500

Established Member
Hi? i recently bought bought my Gen3 VMP TVS ,its Fast,but i had problems with them i gets in Fail Safe mode ,and no runs like crap ,Justin told me to do a spring mod but same thing,does anyone have the same problem ? thanks!

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
Unlike some guys on the forum I had issues with 2 different FRPP mono blades one of which was shipped to Accufab for bench testing, was deemed in VG working order but still hit Wrench Lights.
I was told the VMP Mono is also manufactured by Accufab but not 100% on that . Eventually I followed Lund Racing's advice installing a Kenne Bell 168mm Mono Blade. With Lund tune it purrs steady at idle, has crisp throttle response, has zero surging, made nice power increase and never triggered a Wrench Light. I'd think VMP could get yours to run just as well.

ozzygt500

Established Member
hi thanks for reposne ,i wish i could run mine because im becoming crazy with this issue and cannot run my car good,it starts to failsafe anytime,i just talking tu VMP since May and have no solution of this,i ask a new Throttle or a Tune update but no good,

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I think it may be a bad batch much like the ford racing mono. I would try and different brand for the time being till they can get it worked out.

craustin1

Established Member
I think they have not solved the tuning issue yet on the 160mm TB (VMP). I would look at the VMP twin 67 or the KB 168 for now and wait until the bugs have been ironed out on the 160mm mono.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Bolt pattern specific to Gen 3 TB make it 160 or 173 only options without an adapter plate. Hope the get fixed.
-J

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
I while back ....Accufab who makes the FRPP Mono Blade told me they were in testing stage but would be coming out with a Mono Blade for VMP. So...same tuning issues might be attributable to both being made at Accufab? They accepted my FRPP mono for bench testing. Despite my not getting it to idle they found no issues. I went to the KB168 with Lund Tune...Zero Issues+35rwhp.

Willie

Established Member
Bolt pattern specific to Gen 3 TB make it 160 or 173 only options without an adapter plate. Hope the get fixed.
-J

I recently picked up a KB 168 but the idea that I was stuck with it or a 75mm KB for my mammoth intake did not sit well with me. So I fabbed an adapter out of 1/4" thick aluminum to bolt up any "stock" bolt pattern TB. Cake, baby!

I did my testing on several TB's but ended up going with the 168, once I figured out how to get it to idle. Now, it drives like stock.

Willie

Established Member
Part throttle is where I'm at 90 percent of the time. It has responsiveness just like stock and I really can't tell the difference. The key for part throttle was to: 1) Datalog with the engine not running and compare the commanded throttle angle with the measured throttle angle, make adjustments in the tune to get these as close as possible, then 2) run the engine and compare the desired airflow to actual airflow, make adjustments and confirm by observing wheel torque error.

Idle seems to be another issue with monoblades but I figured that out too. I'll leave it for another time...

Honestly, I don't think tuners take the time to do this. Just one of countless processes that only you can do for yourself and why I encourage everyone to learn to tune their own car. It should be your FIRST mod.....

Willie

Established Member
As far as what's going on with VMP's unit, I can only guess. It could be an IPC failure causing the wrench light and/or failsafe... or a throttle blade that's sticking ever so slightly when lifting, causing the actual throttle angle to be far different than the commanded.... or maybe just manufacturing tolerances that just aren't precise enough.... or..... who knows.... Maybe someone who reads this can ask them???

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
As far as what's going on with VMP's unit, I can only guess. It could be an IPC failure causing the wrench light and/or failsafe... or a throttle blade that's sticking ever so slightly when lifting, causing the actual throttle angle to be far different than the commanded.... or maybe just manufacturing tolerances that just aren't precise enough.... or..... who knows.... Maybe someone who reads this can ask them???
My friend running their 160 drive it more today while datalogging and for the first time felt something. As you stated, it was while lifting and at low/moderate speeds. WOT and track/dyno have been fine. VMP has mentioned tweaking the spring, but he's swapping on the KB168 to compare before modding a TB succeeeding on track.
Hoping to see dyno and track comparison on 160 vs 168
-J

NAGT2016

I've had issues with the SCJ monoblade myself and thinking of making the jump to the kb 168. Is it a direct fit to the vmp gen 3 or do you need to port match it so the blade can open all the way?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
VMP Gen 3 TB bolt pattern is specific.
You need an adapter for ANY other TB than VMP.
KB168 is the best fit but hopefully VMP gets the TB issue resolved.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread