NEWB here... Picking up an 01 Lightning this weekend....

Z06/SVT

Established Member
NEWB here... Picked up an 02

Hello....
Just wanted to jump in here and say hello.. Interested in learning everything I can about the 2nd Gen Lightnings'. I have to be honest, this will be my FIRST FORD that I have ever owned, and I am 50 y/o.... I am an Fbody guy and own a couple. My RACE car is a fully built 01 C5Z..My plans "initially" will be to tow my Z to the local 1/2 mi roll Race events... I'll do the pulley's, CAI, headers and a "tune" right off the bat. Truck already has the Magnaflow cat back. Long term plans are built bottom end, and either a KB 2.8 or a Whipple 2.9, 2800-3200 stall,.... Not looking to be the fastest... Just something that makes people think twice.

Looking forward to your comments, suggestions.

I'll post pics once I pick it up...Sold one of my fbodies today to free up some capital. The Lightning is Silver in color and in great "stock" cond. In the mean time... Here's my Z...

Attachments

• Clean1.JPG
    Clean1.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:

Z06/SVT

Established Member
Well, good... that's why I am here.... the great thing about the shop who builds my cars, not only are GM guys.. but the owner bleeds Oval Blue and has a tech who knows Fords!!! He races an 87 fox body that is a monster... He has owned 2 Lightning's and has given me some pretty sound advise. He's actually the one who talked me into this one. The tuner at the shop is considered one of the best here in Dallas. I am looking forward to learning from you guys and posting often. Thank you for the welcome buddy.

flip_86

Established Member
Welcome, if you plan on going built you may want to wait on the bolt ons. I have a whipple. 2.3 on my truck, i was able to get it a little cheaper as i already had a throttle body and cai, but to buy it with the tb and cai included wasn't that much more, i don't think a 2.9 is available for these trucks, i think a 2.3, 3.4 whipple or 2.6, 3.2kb are your best options, jlp is making some pretty impressive numbers with a 3.2kb recently

4a7191a

Established Member
Sweet deal op
Add a valve body to that list and your set. Should be a lightnings first mod. Makes the transmission shift like it should of from the factory and not like a navigators.
Of course fueling but that'll come with the blower.
On the blower swap I plan on doing the used Shelby blower setup. Cheap if you can find a good blower for sale.

What's the shops name ? Not HP is it ? If so yeah.. Damn good tuner.

Last edited:

Z06/SVT

Established Member
Ended up passing on the 01 and picked up an 02..... Decided that "for now" i'll do a 4lb lower, accufab TB, Bassanni mid pipe, catback, and a good tune..... I am actually taking it to a local shop today as it developed a "misfire" on cyl #3.....? It's not really a "miss"..... just idles a little rough on start up(Cold start) and while sitting at idle... It runs great down the hwy.... shifts nice... gonna have my guys pull the plug to see if it is burnt. I did notice that the #3,#4 COP's were aftermarket?? the other 6 were Ford OEM....? I purchased two new Ford OEM COP's @ the stealership ($85 ea)...It's a high mileage truck... 1 owner, Only mods are K&N, Diablo tuner ( which I am going to sell) Magnaflow muffler... Heres' a pic...
Ig05xH.jpg

c2Ybbd.jpg

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
congrats, Lightnings are a ton of fun!

aftermarket COPs are garbage, stick with OEM. Honestly Id just put a fresh set of plugs in there now, most guys run NGK TR6s in modded trucks.

theres a sticky on here with lots of good info.

If the truck doesnt have an oil separator I would suggest yanking the blower and cleaning the intercooler while doing plugs

Z06/SVT

Established Member
Thanks buddy....
Bad news... Cyl # 3 only had 60lbs of pressure... the others had 150 ish..... Bad valve! Time to remove the head....
Will most likely do the TR6's....and while it's down do the 4lb lower pulley.... Oil separator is a great idea and inexpensive insurance... Wish me luck.....

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
ouch, sorry to hear it. That possibility definitely came to mind but was hoping it was something simple.

If L&S still makes them their setup was nice because it would just drop the oil back into the oil filler neck, no checking or emptying.

Z06/SVT

Established Member
holy cow... my engine builder has my L torn apart ( removing passenger head)... I have never seen so many bolts!

Dusten

Established Member
Ya, pulling the heads isn't fun.

TR6 only if you up the boost, otherwise stay stock with the plugs.

Z06/SVT

Established Member
Thanks Dusten.. Been following some of your threads on this forum. Being that this is my first FORD I am learning as much as I can. Turns out previous owner had to have been chasing this "miss"... 2 of the 8 COP's were aftermarket, (#3,#4).. As it turns out I have to send the head off to the machine shop to weld.. some jack ass had the plug so far down in the head that it barely was touching the piston...??!! No damage to it THANK GOD! I am taking this opportunity ( while it is apart) to replace chain guides, t stat,... I knew there was a miss..! But it was only at cold start up, and at idle.. the truck ran great!! but now I know it was a ticking time bomb. the plugs were new ( motocraft). My guess is that perhaps that #3 cylinder blew the plug out of the head or some JA cross threaded when installing. I had to replace both intake,exhaust valves on the #3... went ahead and did new seals ( ofcourse) as well as measure, inspect everything else. The guy I bought the truck from was 70 y/o... He owned the truck since 05 ( 45Kmi)... The title reflected that. It's not "that bad"...So, i'll have piece of mind once it is back up and running. As I said, I am installing the 4lb lower, K&N CAI, custom tune ( for now)
oil cooler, upper, SBTB, Bassanni mid, cat back and i'll call it a day.... These are great trucks!!! should have it back next week. Thanks for your input... Keep it coming.

Ya, pulling the heads isn't fun.

TR6 only if you up the boost, otherwise stay stock with the plugs.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
You'll have fun when it's back together. The trans are not the strongest when torque management is turned off in the tune. Get a valve body from Punisher and leave trans tuning stock.

Z06/SVT

Established Member
Thank you buddy... Is the valve body pretty straight forward to install?

It just keeps getting better... Turns out the #1 spark plug hole also had an insert in it..... My engine guy said the head had been off a couple of times... The insert in #3 was was installed too deep which caused very slight contact w piston! One would think a 70 year old dude w multiple sports cars, 2 Lightnings 02-04 would have some kind of integrity... Oh well, as my engine builder told me today, when I get it back it will be a whole new animal.

You'll have fun when it's back together. The trans are not the strongest when torque management is turned off in the tune. Get a valve body from Punisher and leave trans tuning stock.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Thank you buddy... Is the valve body pretty straight forward to install?

It just keeps getting better... Turns out the #1 spark plug hole also had an insert in it..... My engine guy said the head had been off a couple of times... The insert in #3 was was installed too deep which caused very slight contact w piston! One would think a 70 year old dude w multiple sports cars, 2 Lightnings 02-04 would have some kind of integrity... Oh well, as my engine builder told me today, when I get it back it will be a whole new animal.

Simple. Not much more involved than just doing a fluid/filter swap.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
it helps to use aluminum inserts so they dont end up as hot spots in the combustion chamber and lead to detonation. These 2valve motors love to lift a head and spit out the gasket with detonation.

and ya, the valve body is pretty easy, just messy with no drain plug on the stock pan.

Z06/SVT

Established Member
Thanks men! I appreciate it... gonna check it out. As I said, I am an LSX guy,,, Vette's, Fbod's have been my toys for years... Still own 1 of ea... BUT this Lightning has my complete attention. So much I wanna do to it. Late Model Restoration (Waco TX) is actually where i'll be doing most of my business ( in terms of parts). although I am in the Dallas area, I have business in Waco and am down there once per month. Upper pulley, SBTB is in my not too distant future. I'll keep you guys posted. Thank you again for taking time to reply to my thread.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Thanks men! I appreciate it... gonna check it out. As I said, I am an LSX guy,,, Vette's, Fbod's have been my toys for years... Still own 1 of ea... BUT this Lightning has my complete attention. So much I wanna do to it. Late Model Restoration (Waco TX) is actually where i'll be doing most of my business ( in terms of parts). although I am in the Dallas area, I have business in Waco and am down there once per month. Upper pulley, SBTB is in my not too distant future. I'll keep you guys posted. Thank you again for taking time to reply to my thread.

I'm waiting on LMR to get their black 01-02 wheels back in stock. I'd check Lightningforceperformance for your single blade, it's cheaper than the Accufab. I've had trouble in the past with Accufabs on my 04 cobra(sticking, not idling correctly).

Users who are viewing this thread