Newb Porter Cable Question

02silver2v

Established Member
Hey all. I am pretty new to detailing but really enjoy it. I just purchased some Griots fast correcting cream and perfecting cream and had a couple questions. I was going to buy the griots pads to use with my PC 7424 but I'm wondering if I ended up buying a boss long throw polisher if my results would be so much better then using the PC. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
Your results will be similar. The BOSS will correct 'faster' but can be a bit tricky to use-most long throw polishers will stall on curved panels and take some getting used to/technique to properly use them and get the results you want.

The PC is a fine machine and has been correcting vehicles for many, many years now. Nothing wrong with it and it's a great starting point IMO.

I feel that the Griot's pads may not be particularly well suited to a PC. I would look at the Meguiars cutting/polishing/finishing discs. These are very thin pads and pair nicely with a PC--you will get more 'rotation' with these than a thicker heavier pad.

Hope this helps and happy polishing!

oldmodman

Established Member
The main reason that I suggest most people start with the PC is the safety that using it brings. it is nearly impossible to damage your finish with it. It won't do any really heavy correction like removing sanding scratches, but it will allow you to remove most marring and swirls.
As to pads I have always have nice results with an assortment of Lake Country Pads. You don't need all of them. Pick a cutting pad (like the orange light pad), a polishing pad, and a finishing pad. You don't need a finessing pad unless you just have to give it a try. But it is fun to use with a super fine polish. I have not used the Griots products, but the reviews on them are pretty positive.

02silver2v

Established Member
Thank you for the info. One last question if I may but I am going to be performing this on my daily which is a 11 Accord that I take good care if but still has a decent snout of swirls. Would it be best to stick to a foam pad or can I go to a microfiber pad for a bit more correction? My thoughts were microfiber cutting pad with the correction cream and then a foam polishing pad for the polishing cream.

oldmodman

Established Member
That would work out pretty well too.
Just remember that the MF pads do cut a lot more than foam. You might want to practice on a car you don't care about. When I started out using machines I went to a body shop and asked them for a hood they were going to throw away. Half the hood was in good shape and I practiced sanding and polishing on it. It's how I learned how to destroy a finish with a wool pad on a rotary. And later how not to.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Your results will be similar. The BOSS will correct 'faster' but can be a bit tricky to use-most long throw polishers will stall on curved panels and take some getting used to/technique to properly use them and get the results you want.

The PC is a fine machine and has been correcting vehicles for many, many years now. Nothing wrong with it and it's a great starting point IMO.

I feel that the Griot's pads may not be particularly well suited to a PC. I would look at the Meguiars cutting/polishing/finishing discs. These are very thin pads and pair nicely with a PC--you will get more 'rotation' with these than a thicker heavier pad.

Hope this helps and happy polishing!

The long throws getting hung up on odd shape panels and edges is exactly why I went back to Flex. lol - OP the PC or Griots Garage DA is perfect for the weekend enthusiast. If you are going to actually get into detailing professionally those 2 won't do much for you - except for interiors.

I used hexlogic with great success with my old PC. Those make work for you too.

Lylesr33

Established Member
d80e5d94bc552acbf538a0fdcf36693f.jpg
21851e324998aa2af4d429bee7b81cd5.jpg

I used Porter Cable 7424 with Lake Country CC pads along with the Wolfgang line of polishes on my Cobra. I thought about a longer throw polisher but I'm a beginner and was scared to try it. Porter Cable is good it just takes a little more time.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Newbie to detailing here as well and i got good reaults with the PC and an assortment of Lake Country pads.

I just followed the advice on here and elsewhere and started with the least aggressive combo and worked up if i needed too.

Takes some time and patience but well worth the effort.

Users who are viewing this thread